USE Alien Ti Seat Post...any experience?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bodid

by bodid

I want to replace my carbon post with Ti for my Ti frame. I know USE has replaced their old (and troublesome) clamping system with a new one. Does anyone have experience with the new clamping system, and experience with their Ti post, or can anyone suggest a better Ti post option? Dean, Ericksen, Black Sheep all make Ti post at @ 200.+ and I can get an Alien Ti (new) closer to 100.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nitropowered

by nitropowered

The new 1 bolt clamp is easier to use than the old two bolt but it is still hard to micro adjust like a two-bolt seatpost like a thomson

bodid

by bodid

Anyone have experience with Dean, or Eriksen. I agree, Thomson is difficult to deal with and not my first choice. My Syntace P6 is very easy to use as is the Fizik Cyrano.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I have an older style u.s.e. Alien ti post. I used it on my mtb. Worked well.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Difficulty is in the eye of the beholder. I behold that the Thomson system is easy to adjust.
Finger tight to where you want you seat to be with a level on the seat.
Look at the guide lines on the seat post clamp and tighten 1/4 turn each bolt in alternating pattern.
I doesn't take much to tighten the bolts after you have finger tightened them.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Raxel

by Raxel

I've just checked their site and it seems their troublesome clamping design remains unchanged.

I do use one alien seatpost myself. It won't accept oversized carbon rails (you have to purchase carbon specific head) and you cannot micro-adjust anything without completely unscrewing the clamping bolt.

If you look around you can find some twin yoke style ti seatposts without spending too much, such as this one http://www.torontocycles.com/images/Ul_Seatpost.jpg sold at $80.

musket

by musket

The Moots Cinch post is one of the best designs on the market, full stop, and it's Ti - look no further!

DMF

by DMF

For one thing, the USE Alien Ti is fairly light while lots of the other Ti-posts available are bloody boat anchors... I've used the Alien Ti post on various bikes, including a downhill/freeride-bike with some fairly serious crashes where the seat hit the ground and bent the seat rails - but the post was fine every time. As for comfort on a normal MTB it actually stands out... prefer it to many carbon posts for that reason...

The clamp is a mess for micro adjustments... but that's just initial and total time spent fiddling is like 15-20 minutes more than any other post, what's that weighed against hundreds and hundreds of hours riding the post once you've set the saddle - I for one wouldn't rate that as a reason to look for another post when this one is so good in every other aspect...

Merlinsghost

by Merlinsghost

Ive been using one on my Merlin since before the "new" clamp and I like it. It's a pain in the ass to adjust, but solid, lightweight and very attractive.

jih

by jih

I had the carbon version and took it off my bike after a while. Could never get the angle of the saddle quite how I wanted it by the time the bolts reached 3.5Nm. More than once I wanted to crush the damn thing in a vice.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

stella-azzurra wrote:Difficulty is in the eye of the beholder. I behold that the Thomson system is easy to adjust.
Finger tight to where you want you seat to be with a level on the seat.
Look at the guide lines on the seat post clamp and tighten 1/4 turn each bolt in alternating pattern.
I doesn't take much to tighten the bolts after you have finger tightened them.

Same here. In my 30 years of cycling, I have never found a post as easy and reliable to use as a Thomson. The clamp is easy to adjust and great for making small tilt adjustments - loosen one bolt a smidge and tighten the other the same smidge.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com