SRAM Red Rear Derailleur Tuning

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jordo99

by jordo99

If someone could enlighten me I'd really appreciate it...I'm looking into tuning my Force RD but it's installed on my bike...I'll probably take it apart this weekend (sunday...after a race) and weigh all the bolts/pulley/etc to figure out what I can tune most efficiently...I don't mind shaving off some of the metal but I don't want to have a cutout in the body like some of the more extreme results require.

What is roughly the cost and weight loss that I could expect by replacing the bolts pulleys and cage?

Thanks

Stockie wrote:Hi,

Do you guys think it is possible to make your own carbon back plate and pulley wheels? In fact those are 'flat surfaces' which don't need a difficult mold...

I don't think it'd be terribly hard...just buy a pre-cured carbon/resin sheet (5 layers or something...I'm not sure what is good but I know Fibre-Lyte sells these sheets as well as cages and pulleys) and then cut and shape your own cages/pulleys out of the sheet. It'd be a lot of work compared to buying something pre-made and probably take some trial/error but it might be worth it. I think the hardest part would just be getting the pulley teeth correct and knowing what thickness of a pre-made carbon sheet to buy.

Stockie

by Stockie

I tried to remove the barrel adjuster from my Sram Force group today, but it is stuck as hell.
Could some one help me out how to remove it?

Thanks
I Will make the leap

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Remove the circlip which is wrapped around the threaded side of the barrel adjuster's shaft.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Stockie

by Stockie

I already removed that one… or are there 2 of them on both sides :s

Got it out: had to give it some very good taps with the hammer :)
I Will make the leap

lechat

by lechat

DSCF4009.jpg
DSCF4004.jpg
DSCF4001.jpg
Decided to enter the fray, well sort'a. Snagged a $45 Force RD on eBay and sharpened up the Dremel. Got some hardware from Jersey Cycles, already have some alloy cogs on the Rival Rd on my bike.
Probably depart a bit and paint it tho'.
(Also carving up a RD-7800 31.8 clamp-on)

Stockie

by Stockie

I got some aftermarket pulleys from xx-lite-bikes. The spin supersmooth when holding them in my hands, but when i install them and tension the pulley bolts there's quite a lot of drag on them… How can i solve this?
I Will make the leap

lechat

by lechat

DSCF4065.jpg
DSCF4062.jpg
Not as light as most here, but 40+gms less than the Rival I'm running now.

lechat

by lechat

DSCF4022.jpg
DSCF4020.jpg
The FD came in at ~ 65gms, Rear ~ 142. savings of around 80gms.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Has anyone used a NYLON bolt for the cable adjuster?
I know someone here has used an M8 Polycarbonate bolt there (and it looks great) - but those are ridiculously hard to find. The only company selling those that I could find is out of Japan and unresponsive to my e-mails.

lechat

by lechat

Shouldn't be a problem, just drill a hole through one. They even have them at my local Ace. Don't know if they have socket heads though, which would work best.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I found the socket heads, I'll give them a go.
Thanks!

lechat

by lechat

I think it was on the blog "The Climb", where he he used a plastic wall anchor, drilled & tapped, as a nut. There's also a good tip on there about shifter clamp tuning.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes, but he used a wall anchor to fill in the hole in the derailleur, then re-tap'd that wall anchor to accommodate a standard adjustment bolt (such as those from Toronto Cycles).

Wall anchor + standard alloy bolt? Why? Kinda unnecessarily heavy, no? :noidea:

Why not just go nylon bolt and re-tap the original derailleur? That would be way, way, way lighter in comparison.
Which is why I asked about the Polycarbonate bolt as used earlier in this thread.

lechat

by lechat

Was an easy solution. The original adjuster has 4 parts. I just filed down the innermost piece, epoxied it in, and tapped it for 4mm. Probably no lighter than his anchor. You could tap the arm but it's a big hole. 8mm or so.

Stockie

by Stockie

How important are the little tab (fibre-lyte calls them jump-stops) on the rear derailleur plates?
It prevents the chain from bouncing of the pulley-wheels, but does this happen so often? Many tuned derailleur plates don't have them...
I Will make the leap

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com