New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Specy is tight with Praxis and Praxis already has a relationship with 4iiiiiiiiii https://praxiscycles.com/product/zayante-4iiii-power/ . Seems like a good idea to market a groupset neutral powermeter and something dual sided. 4iiii probably seemed like a no risk option and was buy-able if business got good.

maquisard

by maquisard

Chances that Specialized will acquire 4iiii must be pretty high...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ooo

by ooo

MAsshole wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:57 pm
ooo wrote:DriveLine Zele-epz-OS
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54198&start=3210#p1335862
Interesting...any other info?
Attachments
epz.jpg
'

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I see that there is now an option for a rechargeable battery on Campag SRM.

Does anyone know more or have pictures beyond this:

http://www.socimage.com/media/159915470 ... 1408531076

https://www.photagram.gq/media/BectTzwhapz

I think that if these are final versions, then it is a backward step. I like the simplicity and absolute elegance of my Campag SRMs. If I wanted something with a less refined look, then I could have bought P2M.

maquisard

by maquisard

SRM are dead as a company. They stopped innovating years ago and have stood still whilst others caught up and passed them.

c60rider

by c60rider

You can buy 2 P2M 4 arm Campagnolo type s for the price of one SRM. Can't see how it's viable to buy an SRM. It still needs a magnet to work :roll:

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Off topic but SRM is still the most elegant crank based meter in my eyes, with the best aesthetics. I have no reason to suspect that their measurement is any better than others such as P2M, but at least for a sector of the market, they will continue to be viewed as the best overall package. For me personally, having to send the unit back once every three years is worth what I see whenever I look at my bike.

maquisard

by maquisard

Unfortunately, the way things are going, they won't be there in three years time to change your battery...

moyboy

by moyboy

Just like quarq and sram.

why build when you can buy.
maquisard wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:44 pm
Chances that Specialized will acquire 4iiii must be pretty high...

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

maquisard wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:39 pm
Unfortunately, the way things are going, they won't be there in three years time to change your battery...
Your evidence? Like Campagnolo being decimated by the OEM market? They won't be the biggest supplier, but that is not their objective. Having just bought another SRM, I did take a bet.

mag

by mag

New ROTOR 2INpower DM, seems to be based on their recent Aldhu crankset http://rotorbike.com/catalog/default/ro ... -road.html

maquisard

by maquisard

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:51 pm
Your evidence? Like Campagnolo being decimated by the OEM market? They won't be the biggest supplier, but that is not their objective. Having just bought another SRM, I did take a bet.
The powermeter market is growing, SRM's market share is diminishing. They aren't investing in new products and instead simply relying on the revenue from their current product line. Any new products like the latest iteration of the PowerControl is over priced, under specced and late to market.

This only ever ends one way, they will be gone in a couple of years.

c60rider

by c60rider

maquisard wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:26 pm
ghisallo2003 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:51 pm
The powermeter market is growing, SRM's market share is diminishing. They aren't investing in new products and instead simply relying on the revenue from their current product line. Any new products like the latest iteration of the PowerControl is over priced, under specced and late to market.

This only ever ends one way, they will be gone in a couple of years.
I doubt they'll be gone in a couple of years but they'll not gain any new customers as they're way out of price for most. Power meter price has and will continue to drop in price so any new riders to power dipping their toe will probably go stages, pioneer, 4i etc and probably find they work perfectly adequately. And marketing sells products. 20 years ago the top teams all tended to ride Colnago. They drifted out of sponsorship and most bikers now seem to lust after he latest trek, specialized, bmc, canyon etc why? Because the pros ride them. Same with power meters hardly anyone is using srm now so if a product is good enough for them that's what the masses will buy.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I will be happy with my SRMs whilst others ride something else.

Back to the question - any more on the rechargeable units?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

c60rider wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:06 pm
I doubt they'll be gone in a couple of years but they'll not gain any new customers as they're way out of price for most. Power meter price has and will continue to drop in price so any new riders to power dipping their toe will probably go stages, pioneer, 4i etc and probably find they work perfectly adequately. And marketing sells products. 20 years ago the top teams all tended to ride Colnago. They drifted out of sponsorship and most bikers now seem to lust after he latest trek, specialized, bmc, canyon etc why? Because the pros ride them. Same with power meters hardly anyone is using srm now so if a product is good enough for them that's what the masses will buy.
I have to disagree, the fact that they are not producing new products is a bad sign. As as an engineering business when cash flow becomes a problem the first thing you do is cut R&D spend to reduce your operating costs and extract the most revenue out of your business by continuing to see your existing product line.

SRM aren't used by pros as much now as other manufacturers have caught up and passed SRM. The same is true of Colnago and other frame manufacturers. You are living in fantasy land if you think Colnago are even remotely close to cutting edge of bicycle frame design. In the case of SRM, their implementation, particularly the temperature compensation, is markedly inferior to what is implemented in modern powermeters like the Power2Max, Quarq etc.

Today with SRM you are not riding a market leading powermeter, but you are paying a market leading price for it.