New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pushbike

by pushbike

Thank you for comments on bearings. It seems like we don't really know about Look bearing configuration yet. I actually popped back in here to try to understand that a little better. If anyone knows anything on that front I would appreciate any intel you can share.

Personally I'm enthusiastic about the Look solution. The Look pedal body works really well during ingress/egress and has just recently been iterated, so assuming that the engineering has taken a step forward. Just don't know what compromises had to be made on the bearing front when adding electronics. I had a pair of Ti Ceramic blades that seemed to wear out really quickly at the outboard bearing, so Look bearing design is in the "fool me once" category.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Conza

by Conza

So when do we expect new Favero Assioma's - for shimano pedals?
It's all about the adventure :o .

Nickldn

by Nickldn

pushbike wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:34 pm
Thank you for comments on bearings. It seems like we don't really know about Look bearing configuration yet. I actually popped back in here to try to understand that a little better. If anyone knows anything on that front I would appreciate any intel you can share.

Personally I'm enthusiastic about the Look solution. The Look pedal body works really well during ingress/egress and has just recently been iterated, so assuming that the engineering has taken a step forward. Just don't know what compromises had to be made on the bearing front when adding electronics. I had a pair of Ti Ceramic blades that seemed to wear out really quickly at the outboard bearing, so Look bearing design is in the "fool me once" category.
I'm a real fan of Look Blades, with about half a dozen pairs on different bikes in the household.

BUT I would not go for gen 1 power pedals. It's a tough product to get exactly right first time around (just read the DCRainmaker review). Took Garmin 3 to 4 gens to get their road power pedals right, admittedly that's mostly down to the removable batteries, but still there's surely a lesson there.

toxin

by toxin

Conza wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:25 pm
If you mean proper ones that arent just axles to put shimano pedal bodies onto, when shimano's spd-sl patent runs out. Could be in a year or two, the patent isn't public

MagicShite

by MagicShite

toxin wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:25 pm
Conza wrote:
If you mean proper ones that arent just axles to put shimano pedal bodies onto, when shimano's spd-sl patent runs out. Could be in a year or two, the patent isn't public
Didn't they ran out a couple years ago? This is why Garmin Rally exists in SPD-SL form.

RDY

by RDY

toxin wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:25 pm
Conza wrote:
Patent isn't public? Surely they have to be.

toxin

by toxin

Haven't been able to find it before and gemini also told me the specifics of it weren't readily available, but I've had another search and found what seems to be it. Expires 29.12.2025: https://patents.google.com/patent/EP1803638A1/en

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MagicShite wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:41 pm

Didn't they ran out a couple years ago? This is why Garmin Rally exists in SPD-SL form.

Garmin could simply have paid Shimano for the right to make a compatible binding.

Exustar has been making SPD-SL compatible pedals for some time.

Xpedo displayed their SPD-SL compatible Sonik prototype last year at Sea Otter.

ultreia

by ultreia

Aeo wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:04 pm
A real explanation about why it costs what it costs.

Maybe, he could change the way of how he does the videos, more dynamic, to make them less hard to view. But as Hambini does, real reviews of products!

RDY

by RDY

I thought the video was excellent. By far the best of the many review videos that were published in the last couple of weeks.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Look power pedals out! Mega expensive, 1048 for Sweden, way more than what Garmin Rally RS200 currently costs.. damn

If the bearing issues mentioned earlier really is a big problem with Look pedals, then thats a bummer. Shimano for example is like bullet proof, never ever have to touch them.
https://r2-bike.com/LOOK-Pedals-KeO-Blade-Power-Dual

nunokas

by nunokas

As things are going, Favero still is the benchmark for price/quality power pedal.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I don't know. My friend pitched his Favero pedals after a couple years. One stopped working and he had no real help from Favero. I don't think I can convince him that they are a quality pedal. Certainly not cheap since they only lasted a couple years.

I purchased the original Garmin pedal, with the pods, they lasted 9+ years. I eventually ruined the pod and now I'm on their latest pedal. Still not one problem.

AZR3

by AZR3

Bought my Assioma Duos in September of 2017, I have had zero issues as far as functionality over the course of 30k miles. I did crash and destroyed the right pod in 2022 and Favero gave me a discount on a replacement spindle/pod. I could not be happier with their product and customer service.

RDY

by RDY

eucalyptus wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:33 pm
Look power pedals out! Mega expensive, 1048 for Sweden, way more than what Garmin Rally RS200 currently costs.. damn

If the bearing issues mentioned earlier really is a big problem with Look pedals, then thats a bummer. Shimano for example is like bullet proof, never ever have to touch them.
https://r2-bike.com/LOOK-Pedals-KeO-Blade-Power-Dual
Given the current market, give it 6 months and they'll be heavily discounted I expect. I can't see how that price can stick given the competition.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com