tire pressure vs. bodyweight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

rockstar wrote:fde, i'm guessing you're riding tubbies? what s your weight, and tire pressure preference?
thanks,

Hi,

You're quite correct, I prefer riding tubulars over clinchers. If we stick with the common 23mm sized tyre or tubular I usually put in 7,5 bar (~95 PSI) for the front, 8 bar (~110PSI) max. for the rear.

I currentyl weigh 70 kgs (~145 lbs).
People tend to overinflate as most of the time they either think higher pressure's better or they simply read the max. allowed pressure from the the tyre wall and apply just that.
For rough roads I always use less pressure, smooth roads will see the figures as stated above.

@Alienator: RR figures are derived from lab measurements and those are almost invariably done on smooth surfaced drums. If we'd stick with that we all know what we talk about.
You'll also need to know at what pressure those figures were derived at so when two different tyres are compared you should ideally compare them under equal conditions or you're just comparing apples to oranges.
On roads it's not the rolling resistance of the tyre that changes but it's the efficiency of transmission that gets lost when tyres are overinflated due to loss of adherence to the underlaying surface. Pretty simple to understand, really.....
IOW, no point in having ultra low RR figures in the lab when you can't put it to good use under practical circumstances, right?

Very well made tubulars can actually handle higher pressure and still conform to road surfaces better than most clinchers while still being comfortable.
Put differently, this tubular will both roll better and be more efficient even if it's measured RR in the lab would be inferior.
It will also retain all the other inherent benefits that just come with the superior engineering of the design of a tubular. Something you just can't port over to a clincher no matter how well it's made.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

fdegrove wrote:

Hi,

Read the link you post before making any blanket statements.

Those were not blanket statements, that's why I provided the link with more info for any particular application.
Last edited by DocRay on Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

fdegrove wrote:[
People tend to overinflate as most of the time they either think higher pressure's better or they simply read the max.

This sounds correct when you write it.

rayhuang

by rayhuang

strobbekoen wrote:All theory aside, it's still up to the individual to determine what is best. Each tire has it's own characteristics on different road surfaces as well.

Understanding the placebo effect is hard to rule out-I found that the Rubino pros were more comfortable in a big way 10 lbs lower. I hit all the patchy pavement i always do and the uneven pavement and I can see how I was overinflated before from a comfort standpoint. I also rode this one stretch where I always feel like I am running rolling in molasses (very rough surface-but not bumpy) and it DID seem like I rolled right through it faster-but thats where the placebo makes my statement hard to believe. It was also 30 degrees warmer than the last time I rode these roads so that has an effect as well.

Flo1234

by Flo1234

I put between 7 and 8 bar into my Conti Ultrasports. My weight is between 90 and 95 kilos. :oops:
I think that's ok.

G60

by G60

DocRay wrote:
fdegrove wrote:

Hi,

Those were not blanket statements, that's why I provided the link with more info for any particular application.

i believe he was referring to you saying "Rolling resistance increases with higher pressure" which of course is nonsense, and the complete opposite of the information in the link you provided.

i'm assuming you just confused 'increases' with 'decreases'

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

G60 wrote:
DocRay wrote:
fdegrove wrote:

Hi,

i believe he was referring to you saying "Rolling resistance increases with higher pressure" which of course is nonsense, and the complete opposite of the information in the link you provided.

i'm assuming you just confused 'increases' with 'decreases'

Hi,

Exactly. 8)

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.