deda stem and oversize bars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KenDobson

by KenDobson

Can I use a Deda zero stem with rithey classic carbon bars. One is 31.7 verses 31.8. Will their really be a issue? I really like the classic bend and drop of the ritchey bar.

Thanks
Ken Dobson

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

legs 11

by legs 11

Try them in the stem without the top cap on, do they fit perfect? If they do, go for it.
If in any doubt don't use them though, I don't think a nasty crash is worth the price of a new set.

Red October

by Red October

The units of measurement to those numbers are "mm" - that's a 0.1mm difference. :roll: Even so, it's just a weird choice of Deda to round down instead.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Aren't all the 31.7 and 31.8 stems and bars really 31.75, but some manufacturers choose to label them as 31.7 and others as 31.8?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Yup. Deda went to the o/s standard first and made a huge hype about it. Since they chose to round down to 31.7, when the other manufacturers jumped on board, they chose to round up to differentiate themselves.

legs 11

by legs 11

Ideas even on manufacturing tolerances differ from one producer to another. U.S.E seatposts are one that come to mind, larger and smaller than the stated size!
I try to be sure that parts are compatible whatever they have stamped on them, with extra attention if I'm using two parts from two different manufacturers.

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

I use a deda Newton and the new FSA shallow wing pro together on my Lynskey with no problem what so ever. I've also used ITMs with FSA and Dedas without incident as well. I doubt you'll have a problem.

JR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com