Canyon Ultimate CF SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

warthog101

by warthog101

Anybody got one?
I am thinking about getting one in the next few months with cable 105 7100.
Don't have the money to spend on a new bike that is a higher level and this is reasonable weight, a bit aero and has discs.
Heavy wheels but I have some WR50s I can use.
They list tyre clearance of 32mm. I wonder if anyone can confirm?
That should cover 30mm on my WR50s.

What are they like to ride? Stiff enough, climb well, comfy?
Will be coming from a 2012 Cervelo S5 and 2013 TCR.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jayjay

by jayjay

Maybe you can find some answers here?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=169994

warthog101

by warthog101

jayjay wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:01 am
Maybe you can find some answers here?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=169994
Thanks.

rawjunk

by rawjunk

https://youtu.be/w_IYR_6T9-A?si=fkccvjgSKmpb1ycI

Tyre clearance shouldn't be a problem.

warthog101

by warthog101

rawjunk wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:48 am
https://youtu.be/w_IYR_6T9-A?si=fkccvjgSKmpb1ycI

Tyre clearance shouldn't be a problem.
Beautiful! Thanks for your help. :)

BenCousins

by BenCousins

warthog101 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:30 am
Anybody got one?
Don't have the money to spend on a new bike that is a higher level and this is reasonable weight, a bit aero and has discs.

Have you considered the Supersix with the same groupset? It's a better bike.

https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/roa ... rsix-evo-4

warthog101

by warthog101

BenCousins wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:13 pm

I have indeed. It is Orange in 105 which I don't mind as it is visible.
It is however $1100 more and I am liking the tyre clearance on the Canyon.
Interested in why you say the Cannondale is a better bike?
I read this and the cheaper Canyon seemed a good deal;
https://escapecollective.com/the-prince ... fr-review/

BenCousins

by BenCousins

warthog101 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:22 pm
BenCousins wrote:

There's three colors for the 105 build. I have the black one.

Why is it better? I had an Aeroad, which shares the same cockpit as the new Ultimate. It's horrible. The bearings last no time due to water ingress. It only comes in limited sizes, it's hardly adjustable at all. You cannnot swap it out for anything else. The options to upgrade and lighten the Supersix are much larger. Mine is now close to 6.8kg.

You've also got exposed cables on the Ultimate and integrated on the Supersix. The Supersix measures as more aero than the Ultimate according to Tour magazine.

Canyon is direct to consumer. If you have any issues (like I did with my Aeroad), you have to wrestle with their customer servive, parts have to be mailed and you have to take the bike to one of only a few service centers. It took months to get simple things fixed. I found the Canyon customer service team to be very rude.

With the Cannondale you can by from a bike shop and get better presales and aftersales support.

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

BenCousins wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:28 pm
warthog101 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:22 pm
BenCousins wrote:

Why is it better? I had an Aeroad, which shares the same cockpit as the new Ultimate. It's horrible. The bearings last no time due to water ingress. It only comes in limited sizes, it's hardly adjustable at all. You cannnot swap it out for anything else. The options to upgrade and lighten the Supersix are much larger. Mine is now close to 6.8kg.

You've also got exposed cables on the Ultimate and integrated on the Supersix. The Supersix measures as more aero than the Ultimate according to Tour magazine.

Canyon is direct to consumer. If you have any issues (like I did with my Aeroad), you have to wrestle with their customer servive, parts have to be mailed and you have to take the bike to one of only a few service centers. It took months to get simple things fixed. I found the Canyon customer service team to be very rude.

With the Cannondale you can by from a bike shop and get better presales and aftersales support.
Pretty sure the 7100 mechanical comes the Canyon H36 cockpit not the Aeroad adjustable ones.

I would be considering the outgoing TCR Advanced, seems you can pickup the 7100 mechanical for about $3k AUD or the Di2 version for about $3500ish. The Advanced level now has a full CF fork but is a normal sized steerer.

Probably not as aero as the Ultimate but I guess you could add a one piece bar of your choice later.

warthog101

by warthog101

BenCousins wrote:

You have more experience than me then, thanks for the feedback.
The exposed cables I see as a positive in a cable operated groupset. I see less tight turns making a better shift and replacing cables potentially easier.
Ditto with replacement of stem and bars. An advantage removed and a big negative if you cant change the cockpit.
I assume the tyre clearance is still pretty good on the Supersix? I like that blue too, but haven't seen it listed in Aus.

Not too concerned by lack of a bike shop. Happy to do my own work, but sh it service sounds no good and hadn't heard that previously.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

BenCousins wrote:
warthog101 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:30 am
Anybody got one?

"better" is subjective but the Cannondale is ugly so it's got that.

warthog101

by warthog101

I am still leaning toward the Canyon. 1100 is a lot less to get past my wife ;)
I am pretty sure I can make the Canyon in a size L work for me.

With a face like mine, what the bike looks like is the least of my worries 😆, both are fine imo.

rawjunk

by rawjunk

What about Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Di2 2023? Its currently around 3100€ and if you sell those hookless wheels, it should be pretty close to Canyon prices.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

warthog101 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:58 am
BenCousins wrote:

You have more experience than me then, thanks for the feedback.
The exposed cables I see as a positive in a cable operated groupset. I see less tight turns making a better shift and replacing cables potentially easier.
Ditto with replacement of stem and bars. An advantage removed and a big negative if you cant change the cockpit.
I assume the tyre clearance is still pretty good on the Supersix? I like that blue too, but haven't seen it listed in Aus.

Not too concerned by lack of a bike shop. Happy to do my own work, but sh it service sounds no good and hadn't heard that previously.
The shifting is perfect in the 105 Cannondale. I went from a Canyon with EPS and the shifting is just as good.

I'm also happy to do my own work, but I'm talking about the list of problems Canyons typically have with things under warranty that you shouldn't have to do yourself. On the Aeroad alone

- Recall of the original adjustable bars after the MVDP failure
- Noisy seatpost clamp that also needed a redesign
- Saddle clamp that is notorious for getting stuck
- Current recall on frames (see the Aeroad thread)

Canyon were bought out by private equity in 2020. They are now focussing on:

- Bikes that look good on the website
- Pro sponsorship (they just signed MVDP for TEN YEARS - do you honestly want to pay for that?)
- Social media marketing
- Bikes that are cheap to manufacture in volume at the detriment of important elements (like component swapping and adjustment)
- The customer service has taken a massive nosedive. In 2008 I had a crack in the bottom bracket of my Ultimate CF, I drove to the Swedish distributors and he gave me a new frame (a more recent model). In 2023 I had a series of small issues with my Aeroad. Each time I had to make a booking in a local workshop that Canyon had licensed to work with them. Each time I arrive and they don't have the parts or I have to wait a week for the 'Canyon mechanic' to turn up. When I press customer service (who aren't even in Sweden anymore) they are rude and dismissive. I sold the bike in the end at a €3k loss because I couldn't compete with an unreliable machine.

Money guys are in charge, the original founders are not involved. The company is going downhill fast to a high volume mass market model. I'll do everything I can to prevent people using this brand.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

You definitely don't like them @BenCousins
Thanks for the feedback.
Difficulty in adjusting handlebar reach and width is my biggest concern.
The Finance Minister isn't happy at the moment with a new bike.
Have a spa to fence and get a permit for first. On hold for a while and the Supersix is back on the list.