Road Titanium Thru Axle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cooper58

by cooper58

Anyone have any experience with these Ti thru axles? https://tipartstitanium.com/products/sp ... ck-release

I've ordered a few Ti bolts from this site for my Tarmac and just noticed they now have these.

usr

by usr

Is titanium even good as a substitute for aluminum here? If you aim for stronger at the same weight, then sure, but if you want to use the titanium advantage for lower weight, I wonder if you might end up with insufficient volume. I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some effect in how material strength and volume work that would make the increased strength of titanium fail to buy enough reduction in wall thickness given the loads on a through axle to make it meaningfully lighter than aluminum. The lightest aluminum through axles are varied thickness: thick walls where the bearings load the axle, very thin where only the bolt torque and pull are transmitted through empty space. A similar shape might have to be necessary for titanium to be better than aluminum shaped like that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

That's a pretty neat system with the integrated hidden lever, but I'm pretty sure those are heavier than the stock aluminum Specialized axles. I'm not sure Ti buys you much (anything?) this application.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Sub2

by Sub2

That is a neat system with the integrated lever for axle removal.
I've just got my first bike with the bolt through axles and having to now carry a 6mm Allen key I feel like it's a backward step from the QR levers on my other bikes.
The integrated lever alone would make me consider getting them.