Data screen comparison Garmin -> Wahoo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

I've been debating trying out an Element Bolt or Roam, I like the idea of something a little lighter, with easily accessible buttons, what's always put me off is just how much data I can squeeze on my 1040.

My two main sceeens are;

Map, gears, wind, speed, avg power, hr, distance, cadence and time

Elapsed, gears, temp, wind, distance to destination, speed&average, hr&average, power&average&normalised, distance and cadence.

I know I'm not going to get quite as much on a bolt for example, but I'm wondering how close I can get?

What's the max field count on a page? Are there fields or app that combine a data point and its average in one field? How many fields can I show with a map?
IMG_3947.jpeg
IMG_3948.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Have you considered the Hammerhead Karoo 2? One of the things that I absolutely love about it is that elapsed time, time of day, and battery percentage are on a small bar at the top on every screen so you don't have to use data fields for those three items.

Here are some of my thoughts when comparing my Garmin 530 to the Karoo 2.

https://youtu.be/jrvHvBIOSEw
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

JMeinholdt wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:55 pm
Have you considered the Hammerhead Karoo 2? One of the things that I absolutely love about it is that elapsed time, time of day, and battery percentage are on a small bar at the top on every screen so you don't have to use data fields for those three items.

Here are some of my thoughts when comparing my Garmin 530 to the Karoo 2.

https://youtu.be/jrvHvBIOSEw
Thanks for the suggestion, but the battery life, additional reliance on touch screen and lack of bluetooth sync just kills the Hammerhead for me.

I was looking for something simpler and lighter in the Bolt.

B0tt0mline

by B0tt0mline

I also tried it and ended back again with the Garmin (also own the hammerhead karoo 2).

It is a matter of personal preference, but I prefer the Garmin.
Colnago C68- Enve SES 4.5
S-Works Aethos - Enve SES 2.3
Open MIN.D - Enve SES AR 4.5
Mosaic GT2-45 - Enve SES AR 3.4
Open WI.DE - no money for Enve

RDY

by RDY

If you're a data junkie, Garmin is really the only game in town currently.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I'm still waiting for a really good bike computer. Have tried most, currently on Garmin 530, was unimpressed by the solar 540.
After a recent lap of Ibiza it took a full 1/2 hour to upload my ride, to get the Garmin to sync with my Iphone (15Pro). It's so buggy, sometimes the phone links well, often times, not. And not just me, another guy on the ride, a tech savvy app developer also had the same issue. I mean, the've had like 10 years to get this sorted and still can't......
Is it so difficult to add a small camera to a computer? If you ride in traffic quite a bit, would be super useful.

GaBa

by GaBa

cyclespeed wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:49 am
I'm still waiting for a really good bike computer. Have tried most, currently on Garmin 530, was unimpressed by the solar 540.
After a recent lap of Ibiza it took a full 1/2 hour to upload my ride, to get the Garmin to sync with my Iphone (15Pro). It's so buggy, sometimes the phone links well, often times, not. And not just me, another guy on the ride, a tech savvy app developer also had the same issue. I mean, the've had like 10 years to get this sorted and still can't......
Is it so difficult to add a small camera to a computer? If you ride in traffic quite a bit, would be super useful.
Buggy software was a major reason I stopped using Garmin Edge, another being a lot of data I don't need. I love SRM PC8 for its simplicity but it has its drawbacks as well and is far from perfect.

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

cyclespeed wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:49 am
99% of the sync issues have gone with the x40 series and the improved single Bluetooth connection.

There was a period where either the route or workout would fail to sync if I had both.

hasn't reoccurred for me since I cleared a load of old routes off my device though.

kurtkowal

by kurtkowal

I'm a former wahoo elemnt bolt V1 and I now use a garmin 540.

I use the computer mainly for training, and in that area the bolt it's just really easy to use. The pause workout function it's just intuitive, contrary to garmin 540 in which you need to press like 3 buttons just to pause your workouts.

Plus, the garmin 540 it's full of bugs, 3 people of my close group have the 540 and they all came with different bugs (one just simply stopped working one day), mine has a bad altimeter, (it shows 10%+ gradients when i'm going downhill) and it sometimes changes my pages.

My take is, if you like all those made-up stats (like W'bal, stamina and so on) and navigation features, garmin it's your only choice. If you like something simple and really easy to use, the bolt is king

B0tt0mline

by B0tt0mline

kurtkowal wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:41 pm

I use the computer mainly for training, and in that area the bolt it's just really easy to use. The pause workout function it's just intuitive, contrary to garmin 540 in which you need to press like 3 buttons just to pause your workouts.

Plus, the garmin 540 it's full of bugs, 3 people of my close group have the 540 and they all came with different bugs (one just simply stopped working one day), mine has a bad altimeter, (it shows 10%+ gradients when i'm going downhill) and it sometimes changes my pages.

My take is, if you like all those made-up stats (like W'bal, stamina and so on) and navigation features, garmin it's your only choice. If you like something simple and really easy to use, the bolt is king
From my point of view the training view on Garmin is much better than on the Wahoo and you have to press excatly one button to pause the training....

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Connect your Garmin direct to wifi

kurtkowal

by kurtkowal

B0tt0mline wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:59 pm
kurtkowal wrote:

From my point of view the training view on Garmin is much better than on the Wahoo and you have to press excatly one button to pause the training....
In Garmin if you press pause, you pause the activity, if you want to pause the workout you have to keep pressed the top right button until you see the workout menu, then you have to navigate to the pause button on the screen and press the button again, which is one continous button press and two more clicks. In my case, pausing the whole activity is a no no for me. In the Bolt you just press one click and the workout is paused, but the activity is not.
Plus, the access to the workout menu (with that one continous press) is really hard to enter if you are riding on rough terrain.

B0tt0mline

by B0tt0mline

kurtkowal wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:37 pm
B0tt0mline wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:59 pm
kurtkowal wrote:

In Garmin if you press pause, you pause the activity, if you want to pause the workout you have to keep pressed the top right button until you see the workout menu, then you have to navigate to the pause button on the screen and press the button again, which is one continous button press and two more clicks. In my case, pausing the whole activity is a no no for me. In the Bolt you just press one click and the workout is paused, but the activity is not.
Plus, the access to the workout menu (with that one continous press) is really hard to enter if you are riding on rough terrain.
Strange, for me it works with this one button. Do you import the workouts from Trainingpeaks?

kurtkowal

by kurtkowal

B0tt0mline wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:18 pm

Strange, for me it works with this one button. Do you import the workouts from Trainingpeaks?
Yes, my trainer works with TP

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

B0tt0mline

by B0tt0mline

kurtkowal wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:58 pm
B0tt0mline wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:18 pm

Yes, my trainer works with TP
Very strange, for me it works with only one button. I also import via TP...