Colnago C68 vs. Basso Diamante?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ItalianRider23

by ItalianRider23

After trying many different bikes, it comes down to one of those two. They‘re vastly different, yet I like them both for different reasons. What are your pros and cons for each? Just looking for your perspective before I make a decision… There‘s no bad bike in this category of course, but I‘d like to hear your take on it. Do you have one or both? What do you like/dislike? Did you have one and sold it? Why did you sell it? This kinda stuff.

Both fit of course. I much prefer the more modern look of the C68, but the Diamante is just a charming bike to look at, very classical and understated which is cool too - and it drives very lively.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Not many opportunities to post photos, so I will use it! Don't see too many carbon frames with curved fork. They did a great job on this frame imo. Image
Never cheer before you know who is winning

BryanJ

by BryanJ

I've had the same dilemma last year after riding the C64 and the Diamanté SV, in the end I went for the SV as I already had Basso's gravel bike the Palta.
With regards to the C68 I've never ridden one but having built one last week for a customer (with Zipps & SRAM Red :noidea: ) I'm now even more bias to the Basso having built over a dozen. I found the level of finishing in the frame (internally) and the state of the bearing seats to be less than desirable on a frameset with an eye watering pice tag. I'm not saying this is the standard for every frame they dispatch as it was a sample of 1 from 1.
Hopefully this helps your decision and if you've any questions with regards to the Basso's fire away.
Attachments
IMG_0278.jpeg
IMG_0274.jpeg

Beancouter

by Beancouter

ItalianRider23 wrote:After trying many different bikes, it comes down to one of those two. They‘re vastly different, yet I like them both for different reasons. What are your pros and cons for each? Just looking for your perspective before I make a decision… There‘s no bad bike in this category of course, but I‘d like to hear your take on it. Do you have one or both? What do you like/dislike? Did you have one and sold it? Why did you sell it? This kinda stuff.

Both fit of course. I much prefer the more modern look of the C68, but the Diamante is just a charming bike to look at, very classical and understated which is cool too - and it drives very lively.
I was extremely close to buying a Diamante, but ended up with a Supersix.

I reckon I will get one at some point though.

The reason they work for me is that, for a bike with race pedigree, they have a pretty big stack height. I did a lot of research and eventually found out that the axle - crown height is unusually long (I can’t find the email) but it has a 155mm head tube and a stack of 584.3 (in a size 56).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

The SV has a higher stack and different stem/upper bearing system than the regular Diamante. The Diamante is an interesting frame to be certain. There was a lot of thought put into design and construction. Much more than meets the eye at first glance. The upper bearing seat sits below the top tube. The stem itself and the spacers if needed are constructed with a slip-fit bore on the underside to house about 5-6mm of the top of the upper headset bearing itself. Pretty crazy the integration they have designed into this front end arrangement. This very stiff, agile steering is combined with a curved fork that adds tons of comfort and stability.
The thick rubber sleeve that surrounds the seatpost works like an elastomer of sorts that very obviously smoothes the ride of the rear end and eliminates any noise or slippage. This softness combined with the very short 400 chainstays is another mix of stiff and soft that you don't see attempted on other frames.
Other unique quirks like 3 Phillips head screws to affix the derailleur hanger eliminate overtightening and ultimately camming-out of traditional fasteners.
It is a fun, aggressive, yet very smooth and stable ride. I'm liking mine very much, and am not bothered at all by the high weight of the frame. It is no WW bike.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Beancouter

by Beancouter

wheelbuilder wrote:The SV has a higher stack and different stem/upper bearing system than the regular Diamante. The Diamante is an interesting frame to be certain. There was a lot of thought put into design and construction. Much more than meets the eye at first glance. The upper bearing seat sits below the top tube. The stem itself and the spacers if needed are constructed with a slip-fit bore on the underside to house about 5-6mm of the top of the upper headset bearing itself. Pretty crazy the integration they have designed into this front end arrangement. This very stiff, agile steering is combined with a curved fork that adds tons of comfort and stability.
The thick rubber sleeve that surrounds the seatpost works like an elastomer of sorts that very obviously smoothes the ride of the rear end and eliminates any noise or slippage. This softness combined with the very short 400 chainstays is another mix of stiff and soft that you don't see attempted on other frames.
Other unique quirks like 3 Phillips head screws to affix the derailleur hanger eliminate overtightening and ultimately camming-out of traditional fasteners.
It is a fun, aggressive, yet very smooth and stable ride. I'm liking mine very much, and am not bothered at all by the high weight of the frame. It is no WW bike.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DHG01

by DHG01

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:42 pm
Not many opportunities to post photos, so I will use it! Don't see too many carbon frames with curved fork. They did a great job on this frame imo. Image
Stunning bike.

DHG01

by DHG01

BryanJ wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:37 pm
I've had the same dilemma last year after riding the C64 and the Diamanté SV, in the end I went for the SV as I already had Basso's gravel bike the Palta.
With regards to the C68 I've never ridden one but having built one last week for a customer (with Zipps & SRAM Red :noidea: ) I'm now even more bias to the Basso having built over a dozen. I found the level of finishing in the frame (internally) and the state of the bearing seats to be less than desirable on a frameset with an eye watering pice tag. I'm not saying this is the standard for every frame they dispatch as it was a sample of 1 from 1.
Hopefully this helps your decision and if you've any questions with regards to the Basso's fire away.
I ve been on the Palta for a couple months now. How are you finding it? Particularly the handling? Which groupset? I struggled a bit with fitting Ekar with the proprietary handlebar.

As for Basso, agree the have touches of incredible quality.

BryanJ

by BryanJ

DHG01 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:07 am
BryanJ wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:37 pm
I ve been on the Palta for a couple months now. How are you finding it? Particularly the handling? Which groupset? I struggled a bit with fitting Ekar with the proprietary handlebar. '

As for Basso, agree the have touches of incredible quality.
I'm also running Ekar as we're a Campag Pro Shop and running anything else on an Italian frame IMO is just wrong. Never had any issues with it and would recommend using Campags Ultra Slick Cables.
With regards to the handling I find it very crisp giving a lot of feedback as to what the wheels are doing and on hard packed to firm ground I can't fault it. The only downside I find is when things get a bit muddy and become more technical then it can get a bit squirmy but maybe it's just my riding style. I shotend the stem by 10mm and fitted an additional 10mm of spacers to raise the bar and that made a huge improvement.
When someone is looking for a new gravel bike we always show them the Palta and Cinelli's King Zydeco as they're at both ends of the scale. The Palta being a flat out race bike that will get you from A to B in the shortest possible time while the other is more endurance focused and better suited to riding for a couple of hundred miles, bike packing ect with a far greater degree of comfort.

DHG01

by DHG01

BryanJ wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:07 pm

I'm also running Ekar as we're a Campag Pro Shop and running anything else on an Italian frame IMO is just wrong. Never had any issues with it and would recommend using Campags Ultra Slick Cables.
With regards to the handling I find it very crisp giving a lot of feedback as to what the wheels are doing and on hard packed to firm ground I can't fault it. The only downside I find is when things get a bit muddy and become more technical then it can get a bit squirmy but maybe it's just my riding style. I shotend the stem by 10mm and fitted an additional 10mm of spacers to raise the bar and that made a huge improvement.
When someone is looking for a new gravel bike we always show them the Palta and Cinelli's King Zydeco as they're at both ends of the scale. The Palta being a flat out race bike that will get you from A to B in the shortest possible time while the other is more endurance focused and better suited to riding for a couple of hundred miles, bike packing ect with a far greater degree of comfort.
Thank you. I am running size M slightly differently; swapped 90 mm stem / 42 mm bar for 100/38 and 0.5 cm spacers (I believe minimum necessary). Love the geo; but my wheelset is terrible (weak hoops that are not actually round). Just ordered new wheelset, so looking forward to testing handling with it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com