New Bike build frame choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RSJago

by RSJago

Hi all,

I'm looking to build a light weight climber, I want disc just because what goes up must come down! Fast!

Was looking at a tifosi mons disc in a 56 heard their light and I have a soft spot for the mons, but are there any other frames I should be looking at? So please fire your suggestions over and I'll Google them.

Also I'm gonna go 1 byπŸ‘

jayjay

by jayjay

Aethos, SL8 ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lauryfriese

by lauryfriese

If you're looking for lightweight disc brake climbing frames for cycling, there are several options you can consider apart from the Tifosi Mons Disc. Here are a few suggestions for frames that are known for their climbing performance:

1. Specialized Tarmac SL7: The Specialized Tarmac SL7 is a popular choice among climbers. It's designed to be lightweight and stiff, offering excellent power transfer. It features an aerodynamic design and disc brakes for confident descending.

2. Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc: The Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc is known for its exceptional balance of weight, stiffness, and comfort. It's a lightweight frame with disc brakes and a responsive ride quality.

3. Trek Emonda SLR Disc: The Trek Emonda SLR Disc is a climbing-focused frame known for its lightweight construction. It provides an excellent balance of stiffness and compliance for efficient climbing and precise handling on descents.

4. BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc: The BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc is a high-performance climbing frame that offers a good blend of weight, stiffness, and comfort. It's designed to deliver excellent power transfer and stability during descents. Candy Crush

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

lauryfriese wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:44 am
If you're looking for lightweight disc brake climbing frames for cycling, there are several options you can consider apart from the Tifosi Mons Disc. Here are a few suggestions for frames that are known for their climbing performance:

1. Specialized Tarmac SL7: The Specialized Tarmac SL7 is a popular choice among climbers. It's designed to be lightweight and stiff, offering excellent power transfer. It features an aerodynamic design and disc brakes for confident descending.

2. Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc: The Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc is known for its exceptional balance of weight, stiffness, and comfort. It's a lightweight frame with disc brakes and a responsive ride quality.

3. Trek Emonda SLR Disc: The Trek Emonda SLR Disc is a climbing-focused frame known for its lightweight construction. It provides an excellent balance of stiffness and compliance for efficient climbing and precise handling on descents.

4. BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc: The BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc is a high-performance climbing frame that offers a good blend of weight, stiffness, and comfort. It's designed to deliver excellent power transfer and stability during descents. Candy Crush
This reads like the kind of post made by an AI, also it's their very first one...

BalticSea

by BalticSea

What's your budget?

Tifosi isn't something I'd buy, instead I'd try to find identical frame from the actual factory (i.e. their aero frame is just rebranded Yishun).

With that said, Elves Vanyar 2024, Winspace SLC 2.0 are good choices IMO, or maybe even Delihea Tank if you are on super tight budget (~900g frame based on, but not a replica of SL7)

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

RSJago wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:57 pm
Hi all,

I'm looking to build a light weight climber, I want disc just because what goes up must come down! Fast!

Was looking at a tifosi mons disc in a 56 heard their light and I have a soft spot for the mons, but are there any other frames I should be looking at? So please fire your suggestions over and I'll Google them.

Also I'm gonna go 1 byπŸ‘
Lightweight disc brake bike. One question: do you want exposed cables or integrated cables?

Exposed: Aethos

Integrated: SL8

This message was brought to you by you neighborhood friendly Specialized dealer.

bobones

by bobones

Depends on budget, but I'll add:
Giant TCR Advanced SL - very light and stiff, exposed cables, inexpensive, integrated seatpost, BB86 BB
Giant Propel Advanced SL - light, stiff and aero, good all rounder, not too expensive, integrated seatpost, BB86 BB
Specialized Tarmac SL8 - very light, aero, all rounder - expensive for s-works, hard to find stock, BSA BB
Cannondale Supersix Evo 4 Hi-mod - not as light as SL8, but great modern all rounder, not too expensive if on offer, BSA BB

The Tifosi Mons is an old design now, with tyre clearance limited to 28 mm, which is tight by today's standards, so wouldn't be in my short list.

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

Giant TCR advanced SL is another option, no integrated cables for better or worse.

pushpush

by pushpush

I do lots of climbing. I dumped both of my Aethos builds and got an SL7. Super happy with that choice. I would not buy another Aethos. IMO the tradeoffs weren't worth the weight savings.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

What were the downsides of the Aethos? Too flexy?

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

CampagYOLO wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:49 am

This reads like the kind of post made by an AI, also it's their very first one...
Haha my thoughts exactly when I read that post πŸ˜„

Edit: I think it is. There is also a very small link to a candy crush page hidden at the end of the post.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Eterna7m wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:14 pm
CampagYOLO wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:49 am

Haha my thoughts exactly when I read that post πŸ˜„

Edit: I think it is. There is also a very small link to a candy crush page hidden at the end of the post.
More informative and showing better reasoning than some human answers. :D

RSJago

by RSJago

BalticSea wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:46 pm
What's your budget?

Tifosi isn't something I'd buy, instead I'd try to find identical frame from the actual factory (i.e. their aero frame is just rebranded Yishun).

With that said, Elves Vanyar 2024, Winspace SLC 2.0 are good choices IMO, or maybe even Delihea Tank if you are on super tight budget (~900g frame based on, but not a replica of SL7)
I've got 650 so far with all the bits I have sold, still to sell a Ribble SL rim brake frame and my enduro MTB, which will all go to the final build, I can get a large mons intergrated frame new for 600 which I think is a good buy as I want to keep the rest of the budget for wheels, group set etc I think I can go quite light, and I'm happy on 28s

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Cervelo R5 - My size Medium built up with Sram Force Derailleurs and shifter/brakes, Sram Red Cranks, Chainset and Cassette and a Canary Avian bar with 45mm carbon spoked wheels is 6.35kg. All in this bike cost me about 7k to build from the frame set since plenty of good deals. The bike climbs as good as anything and the handling is A+
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

RSJago wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:13 pm
BalticSea wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:46 pm
What's your budget?

I've got 650 so far with all the bits I have sold, still to sell a Ribble SL rim brake frame and my enduro MTB, which will all go to the final build, I can get a large mons intergrated frame new for 600 which I think is a good buy as I want to keep the rest of the budget for wheels, group set etc I think I can go quite light, and I'm happy on 28s
If you're talking pounds or euros then I'd strongly advise going second hand. Things are going really cheap on the second hand market right now, it's nothing like it was during COVID..