Frame Comparison: Trek Domane SLR Gen 4 vs. Argon 18 Krypton Pro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jard

by Jard

My use case is road, some smooth and some not so smooth, and maybe only the shortest gravel sections to get between roads. A good week for me last year was 80'ish miles per week with some 50+ mile rides on the weekends. I would like to ride more this year, including at least metric century distances.

With my build, flexibilty, and limb lengths an endurance geo works better for me. I have a great local fitter that I work with.

I currently ride a 56 cm Domane SL7 Gen 3 with the longer seat post and like it but would also like to shed some weight. I have upgraded the wheelset (Reserve 40|44 with 30mm GP5000S TR - trying to balance ride quiality and aero) and saddle and would bring those to the new bike with me.

Domane pros:
- LBS support
- able to buy a full bike, including used Red Barn options to save $
- more aero?
- Isospeed works well, great ride quality
- known fit out of the box
Domane cons:
- full bike would come with some redundant parts (wheels and saddle), so some wasted $

Krypton Pro pros:
- lighter frame
- ability to build from scratch / customize, no wasted $
Krypton Pro cons:
- availabilty
- cost of frame alone versus full bike (I am not interested in the SRAM groupset)
- need to get a pre fit to determine what parts to build with

Opinions for my use case or anyone who has ridden both?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have ridden neither but on paper, I would go Argon. The Domane is and always has been a pig. Friends who have them love the ride, but I just can't get over the weight. I am also not a fan of mechanical suspension components on a road frame. IMO it's a marketing gimmick with added weight, risk of failure, noise, dirt ingress, etc. The same comfort can be achieved with careful frame design with the weight or risk .

Both bikes are very tall, but the Trek is super short for it's height and then they kick out the front wheel with a slack headtube to retore a decent amount of front center. With a more standard race bike front geometry, and shorter chain stays, the Argon should be a more responsive agile bike.

Combine all of that with lighter weight and you have (at least on paper) an impressive endurance bike. Then add better tire clearance - 40mm and you have a respectable machine for most gravel situations.

And if you are like those of us that don't not happen to love and fit the parts that come on your size of frame, a frameset only purchase is a must. Saddle, bars, cranks, wheels, tires, etc., are wasted - all have to be changed.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Jard

by Jard

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:45 pm
I have ridden neither but on paper, I would go Argon. The Domane is and always has been a pig. Friends who have them love the ride, but I just can't get over the weight. I am also not a fan of mechanical suspension components on a road frame. IMO it's a marketing gimmick with added weight, risk of failure, noise, dirt ingress, etc. The same comfort can be achieved with careful frame design with the weight or risk .

Both bikes are very tall, but the Trek is super short for it's height and then they kick out the front wheel with a slack headtube to retore a decent amount of front center. With a more standard race bike front geometry, and shorter chain stays, the Argon should be a more responsive agile bike.

Combine all of that with lighter weight and you have (at least on paper) an impressive endurance bike. Then add better tire clearance - 40mm and you have a respectable machine for most gravel situations.

And if you are like those of us that don't not happen to love and fit the parts that come on your size of frame, a frameset only purchase is a must. Saddle, bars, cranks, wheels, tires, etc., are wasted - all have to be changed.
Thank you for taking the time to do the analysis and write it all out!

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Krypton Pro build and it comes in at 6.85 kg on paper (before pedals, cages, and mounts).

One more frame caught my eye, the Wilier Granturismo SLR

I think the frame is only about 200 grams heavier but there are some cons for me like the rear "suspension" and integrated cockpit. It's also about $1,100 more expensive. Max tire size is also reduced to 32 mm versus the 35 mm on the Krypton Pro.

sigma

by sigma

I have some experience with both frames with caveats - the RSL Gen 4 and the previous generation of Krypton Pro.

I owned the original rim brake Domane (rear isospeed only) and then the next iteration with both front and rear after I crash replaced the first. What's often forgotten was that those bikes were not the more bloated heavy weight cushioned bikes that followed after the move to disc - they were reasonably light for endurance bikes (c 16lbs) at the time and fairly agile rides. I recall Cancellera was the driving force for the original Domane for the classics but Andy Schleck also rode one for a good chunk of the Tour one year.

The RSL is quite a different bike than the regular Domane SLR and other forum members (Tobin)have been racing on it and will have better experience to relay on that. I run mine with a few different sets of wheels as the bike is extremely versatile: Zipp 303 FC with 35mm Rene Herse tires for training and midwest gravel; Aeolus RSL 60s with 28mm 5000S TR for group rides and flat races; lastly I added a set of Farsport Hypers 45 depth with 30mm 5000S TR for a climbing race I will ride the bike on later this spring (200km, 4000m elevation); I find this generation of Domane RSL to be very comfortable but perhaps giving up a little comfort compared to the more plush previous generations in favor of being lighter and much more agile / responsive in my opinion. In short I am a fan. I don't know how much this tanslates to the regular Domane SLR which has more tire clearance (38), slightly heavier, but different geometry which is decidly less racey so keep the two versions in mind.

The Krypton Pro is a sublime bike in design. Relatively light, fast acting (would guess decent aero), nimble, and surprisingly comfortable. I run mine with 2 wheels - DTSwiss ERC 1100 45s for the gran fondo races and Farsports 45 Federers for the big climbing days. The build was one of the most pleasant I have ever done with each part meticulously labeled and great instructions. The only problem I had was the BB area was right on the edge of tolerance so it took some facing to get everything smooth - Argon18 were ready to send me a new frameset if I didn't like the outcome but as it was covid I felt quite comfortable once the BBinfinite BB was in. I first came to this bike after riding a friend's who was a pro triathlete sponsored by Argon. They had given him a Krypton Pro (one generation before mine) as a training bike and I borrowed it while visiting. I was quite blown away by the damping of the bike on some very poor roads. I felt there was actually something genuine to their marketing claims of the layup despite my usual skepticism. So I got one and have been very happy with it as my endurance ride in the Rocky Mountains. I've done multi day trips across Colorado with it and never felt lacking for a bike that can handle the terrain and curves of steep uphills and downs. On that model one could run a 34 but I found the bigger tires really dulled the performance a bit, so i keep mine between 28 and 30. The new one I think can go as far as 38. In any event, another high recommendation.

Which one to pick? Geometry is quite flexible on the Argon - they have an amazing fitting system. If you are riding decent roads with some hills, I would probably lean that way unless the new model is measured much heavier than the previous. For adverse road conditions with more short punchy hills, I would take the Domane RSL. It's got a little more heft to it in its feeling and perhaps a little more stiffness. Of course, the geometry should really make the final decision for you. Good luck!
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Er, would the OP even be interested in the RSL? It's pretty much an entirely different bike that vaguely looks the same.

Jard

by Jard

My rides from home and weekly group ride are rolling hills. I do travel at times for some more climbing, e.g., Skyline drive in Shenandoah NP.

The RSL isn't my preferred geo. I think I would buy an Emonda if that was the case.

Jard

by Jard

sigma wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:32 am
I have some experience with both frames with caveats - the RSL Gen 4 and the previous generation of Krypton Pro.

I owned the original rim brake Domane (rear isospeed only) and then the next iteration with both front and rear after I crash replaced the first. What's often forgotten was that those bikes were not the more bloated heavy weight cushioned bikes that followed after the move to disc - they were reasonably light for endurance bikes (c 16lbs) at the time and fairly agile rides. I recall Cancellera was the driving force for the original Domane for the classics but Andy Schleck also rode one for a good chunk of the Tour one year.

The RSL is quite a different bike than the regular Domane SLR and other forum members (Tobin)have been racing on it and will have better experience to relay on that. I run mine with a few different sets of wheels as the bike is extremely versatile: Zipp 303 FC with 35mm Rene Herse tires for training and midwest gravel; Aeolus RSL 60s with 28mm 5000S TR for group rides and flat races; lastly I added a set of Farsport Hypers 45 depth with 30mm 5000S TR for a climbing race I will ride the bike on later this spring (200km, 4000m elevation); I find this generation of Domane RSL to be very comfortable but perhaps giving up a little comfort compared to the more plush previous generations in favor of being lighter and much more agile / responsive in my opinion. In short I am a fan. I don't know how much this tanslates to the regular Domane SLR which has more tire clearance (38), slightly heavier, but different geometry which is decidly less racey so keep the two versions in mind.

The Krypton Pro is a sublime bike in design. Relatively light, fast acting (would guess decent aero), nimble, and surprisingly comfortable. I run mine with 2 wheels - DTSwiss ERC 1100 45s for the gran fondo races and Farsports 45 Federers for the big climbing days. The build was one of the most pleasant I have ever done with each part meticulously labeled and great instructions. The only problem I had was the BB area was right on the edge of tolerance so it took some facing to get everything smooth - Argon18 were ready to send me a new frameset if I didn't like the outcome but as it was covid I felt quite comfortable once the BBinfinite BB was in. I first came to this bike after riding a friend's who was a pro triathlete sponsored by Argon. They had given him a Krypton Pro (one generation before mine) as a training bike and I borrowed it while visiting. I was quite blown away by the damping of the bike on some very poor roads. I felt there was actually something genuine to their marketing claims of the layup despite my usual skepticism. So I got one and have been very happy with it as my endurance ride in the Rocky Mountains. I've done multi day trips across Colorado with it and never felt lacking for a bike that can handle the terrain and curves of steep uphills and downs. On that model one could run a 34 but I found the bigger tires really dulled the performance a bit, so i keep mine between 28 and 30. The new one I think can go as far as 38. In any event, another high recommendation.

Which one to pick? Geometry is quite flexible on the Argon - they have an amazing fitting system. If you are riding decent roads with some hills, I would probably lean that way unless the new model is measured much heavier than the previous. For adverse road conditions with more short punchy hills, I would take the Domane RSL. It's got a little more heft to it in its feeling and perhaps a little more stiffness. Of course, the geometry should really make the final decision for you. Good luck!
Wow, super thanks for this!

Maybe a few things on the new Krypton Pro: it is even lighter than before and they have moved to a T47 bottom bracket; both are huge pluses in my book!

I think I'm even more sold on the Krypton Pro. I don't like the idea of the rear "suspension" and higher price on the Wilier.

sigma

by sigma

Jard wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:54 pm
sigma wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:32 am

Wow, super thanks for this!

Maybe a few things on the new Krypton Pro: it is even lighter than before and they have moved to a T47 bottom bracket; both are huge pluses in my book!

I think I'm even more sold on the Krypton Pro. I don't like the idea of the rear "suspension" and higher price on the Wilier.
Sorry if it came off that I was advocating the RSL. I just don't have any riding time on the new SLR to give perspective on but imagine some aspects translate. If the Krypton Pro is lighter, has the downtube storage, the T47 (big plus), plus the wider tire clearance of 40, it's a definite yes to that! I had not paid attention to the new updates but I would have no hesitation. Especially in the beautiful part of the country you are in where you can easily get to the Smokey's for some big days on the hills, that would be my pick. I think you will love the bike - on my build I used the Argon stem but I am wondering whether some of the ACR one piece integrateds (or evne the new Rapide) might work (check out the new vision 5d ACR evo coming soon) as a substitute potentially. Enjoy!
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

Jard

by Jard

I have a pre-fit scheduled with my guy on Monday. I already know he hates integrated cockpits but let's see where the numbers fall!

Jard

by Jard

Thanks to folks who provided input, I jumped on a deal to have a bike built for me last week with a Krypton Pro!

It looks like 7.016 kg on paper (before cages, mounts, and pedals) for about the same price as the top-spec Domane selling "used" on their Red Barn Refresh site, and about 230 grams lighter than the Domane.

KuB3

by KuB3

Hi Jard,
Curious to see where your numbers fall, I finish to build mine in a gravel setup and I'm 8.7 (!) with pedals, cages, tool kit and 43c tires.
I can definitely gain some weight on tires and pedals but not as much so pass the 8kg mark...

KuB3

by KuB3

Jard

by Jard

It's here! Still dialing in fit a bit.

It weighs just under 7.5 kg (before pedals and any computer / light mounts and without the toolkit), using a very innacurate measuring system - I get on my old school doctor's scale and then add the bike.

I know it's possible to drop a bit more weight on the seat, stem, bars, or wheels but happy with how this turned out for an all-road bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com