C64 SR eps VS. C68 SR wrl - opinions & review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheBeautifulOne

by TheBeautifulOne

Hi guys,
There has been a discussion regarding C-series and its loss of unique flair as well as new super record being absolute waste of money after removal of the thumb shifter.

I have just today picked up my new custom painted C68 with Super record groupset. As i am also fortunate owner of C64 with super record eps groupset, I will be able to compare directly these two generations of italian superbikes. I will post here little by little informations and findings on both bicycle and groupset and what are the key differences.

First impression after the fitting is that the geometry is really more aggressive. I had previously size 52s with 110mm stem an 42 handlebars. Now i have size 51 with 110/410. The bicycle is a bit longer as well as are super record hoods. I have decided to keep extra 2cm spacers compared to my target fit and cut the steerer further after month of riding or so.

Quality of finish for both frameset and groupset is impeccable. Only downside is that as i have ordered back in late October, i did not receive new version of bora ultras and frame doesnt feature new metallic logo on the headtube.

Upside is that in real life rear derailleur doesnt look that ugly at all. Front derailleur is even, dare i say... elegant.

IMG_4800.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I like the gold.

WRL question. If you hit both buttons at the same time (I.e. if you have on heavy gloves), what happens?

I'm also interested in your comparison of the two frame sets.

TheBeautifulOne

by TheBeautifulOne

joeyb1000 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:19 am
I like the gold.

WRL question. If you hit both buttons at the same time (I.e. if you have on heavy gloves), what happens?

I'm also interested in your comparison of the two frame sets.
If you press two buttons at the same time, shifter shifts according to whichever button you touched even tiny microsecond earlier. Tried it multiple times. Buttons have however quite strong feedback so it seems to me that it is quite unlikely to push some by accident.

Llanberis

by Llanberis

Beautiful build, congratulations! Re wheels, if you don't ride tyres wider than 25 mm then the previous gen Bora's would work better I think. Would be interesting to know what you think about the groups. I can get past by the ugly mechs, but the absence of thumb shifters is simply an absolute hard no to me.

AM7Jeremy

by AM7Jeremy

Looking foward to more comparasions!

TheBeautifulOne

by TheBeautifulOne

Photo of the bicycles prior to the first test planned for tomorrow. I have them set up to be almost identical geometry.

In order to achieve same fit as i had with C64. I had to move saddle 1cm to the front and add extra spacers to compensate for lower stack. My 64 was set up on the high side though, so 1-2 cm of spacers will eventually go away. Tomorrow I will hopefully test the bike and write first review.
IMG_4826.jpeg
IMG_4827.jpeg
IMG_4828.jpeg

TheBeautifulOne

by TheBeautifulOne

Ok, so first ride with C68.

First of all, why I considered this bike in the first place. For me, C64 was my first high-end bike. I still recall my first ride with it and switching from Canyon ultimate to the C64 felt like switchin from Volkswagen to a Rolls Royce. C64 had an amazing ride quality , plush , comfortable ride, very stable in descents (compared to nervous canyon) and was a pleasant ride experience in general. It did not feel particularly fast or aggressive, it was just an extremely suiting bike. Like a tailored suit from high end italian wool.

When C68 came out, I was at first disappointed by the loss of exposed lug design, but when i saw the bike in real life, it has grown on me and I have decided to order it back in the fall of 2023. For me, it would feel like a sacrilege to equip it with anything else than full italian build (lets be honest to ourselves, bikes are also a fashion acessory for most of us cyclists) and went with Super record wireless, together with bora wto ultras.

My previous C64 was size 52s (i am 182 cm tall) and matching equivalent for 68 is size 51. Bike is a little bit longer and has significantly lower frontal part. Seattube has however steeper angle so it more or less compensate for increase in top tube length. In order to compensate for lower stack, I had to add 1.5-2cm of extra spacers to achieve same fit. I will see after couple of rides, whether to cut steerer tube or keep it this length.

Ok so first impressions...

Boy this bike feels fast. It is incredibly stiff around the bottom bracket. Not that C64 was gummy or what but this is completely different. Bike invites you to stand up and start sprinting. You really do feel that every single watt you put into pedals is transferred to the drivetrain. This one thing really blew me away. The way this bike pushes you further and dares you to pedal harder with rewarding increase in speed makes you really smile. Stiffness around bottom bracket can be compared to stiffest Dogmas without adding any jittery characteristics to the ride quality.

The rear seatstay does not have any more the Colnago "magic carpet" ride feel but it doesnt feel unconfortable or harsh at all. Part of this is definitely caused by larger tires (28 compared to 25 on C64). I presume that other part of the comfortable characteristic of the ride comes from shorter seat tube that exposes larger part of the seatpost that is allowed to flex and make ride a bit more comfortable. I did not feel any difference when it comes to aerodynamics but i guess loss of lugs adds you a watt or two.

Steerinq characteristic is very similar to the old C64. Bike feels very well positioned on the road, feels stable but not lazy or difficult to handle. I personally like the way C68 handles much more than for example Specialized SL8. I find CC01 integrated cocpit to be fitting. I have it with 41cm width and 11cm "stem" length (previously 42 and 11 on C64). Position on the hoods as well as on the drops is comfortable.

As for the groupset. Aesthetics is very subjective but one does have to admit that SR WRL is a chunky groupset. Especially rear derailleur. This is true mostly when it is in the smallest cog when the mass of the derailleur is really evident. Once you shift some gears up to the middle of the cassette and derailleur arm stretches out a bit, it starts to look much less bulky. My general complaint towards the design of the groupset is that it feels a bit boring. Last generation with red accents felt a little bit more special. I do understand that Campagnolo probably wanted the design to be more "general" and matching to the different frame coulour schemes, but to me it looks a bit "bland"

When it comes for shifting performance. Everything works as it should. Starting with the ergonomics, I got immediately used to the new shifting scheme and did not miss the thumb shifter at all. What i had to do is to switch gearing logic in the campy app with upper button shifting to smaller cog and lower button shifting to larger cog, which seems more logical to me, however this is a matter of personal preference and can be adjusted in the app quickly.

I also do like shape of the hoods more than previous generation, they are a bit longer and fit better to larger palms. However, the buttons for shifting are quite a way down from the hoods. This is not an issue if you are an average sized or taller man (just right distance for me) , but if you are a shorter or a woman with smaller hands, definitely try it before buying as you may struggle reaching for the shifter buttons. The buttons themselves are well shaped and separated from each other. Unless you wear very thick winter mittens I dont really see a possibility for misshifting.

Shifting performance is very good. I did not notice significant change from previous Campy EPS with rear derailleur performance. But when it comes to front derailleur there is definitely a huge improvement. Shifts are super smooth and I would not hesitate that front derailleur shifting is best in class. Not that rear is bad in any way, but I do not see huge difference compared to latest generation of DI2. Front derailleur shifting is where Campy outshines competition.

Boras Ultra WTO are a very nice wheel set but as I rode Boras WTO on C64 there is no perceivable change in ride quality. They are just a little bit more bling and lose few grams.

Bicycle weighted without pedals but with 2 tune bottle cages and aluminium wahoo mount is 6.65 KG (with PU tubes - Pirelli smarttube) which for me is very good. My was just above 6.8 without pedals. Most of the weight savings comes from wheelset but i guess loss of cables saves you few grams as well. My frame is full gloss , so with matte naked carbon colour scheme, Im pretty sure weight would be somerwhere around 6.5 kg, touching 6.8 UCI limit with pedals, so this bike is definitely not an anvil.

To make a summary. This bike is a very fun , fast bike to ride that really challenges you to step out of the saddle and push hard without being uncomfortable or harsh. If you can afford it, it rewards you with perfect handling, comfortable ride and fast feel. It certainly isnt a TT machine but definitely has lots of aero qualities too.

Weight: 9/10
Handling: 9/10
Comfort: 8.5/10
Power transfer: 9.5/10
Aeroness: 8/10
Price/Added value: 6/10

image1.jpeg
Attachments
image3.jpeg
image0-1.jpeg
image2-1.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image2.jpeg

spartacus

by spartacus

Nice review and bike

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

The major difference is the tire clearance, isn't it?
Did Ernesto sign the C64?
Nice stable you have!

octav

by octav

Nice bike! And thanks for the review

TheBeautifulOne

by TheBeautifulOne

EtoDemerzel wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:12 pm
The major difference is the tire clearance, isn't it?
Did Ernesto sign the C64?
Nice stable you have!
Yes. Tire clearance is higher than at C64 which is the last generation "signed" by Ernesto. For me, ride feel is really different. Completely different bicycle.

wilwil

by wilwil

Im considering moving from a C64 rim 52S to a C68 R510 but Im wondering if the lower stack is okay for me.

Is that the max amount of spacers you have on the C68 and what does it measure? Im guessing each spacer is 5mm so 5x6=30mm plus the top cap which is about 5mm. So total stack of 35mm

I certainly wouldnt want more than that amount of spacers. I currently have a 15mm top cap and a 10mm spacer on my C64 with a traditional stem, which looks okay.

Not sure why they messed with the geometry when its not really a full on race bike like the V4RS .

TheBeautifulOne

by TheBeautifulOne

wilwil wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:16 am
Im considering moving from a C64 rim 52S to a C68 R510 but Im wondering if the lower stack is okay for me.

Is that the max amount of spacers you have on the C68 and what does it measure? Im guessing each spacer is 5mm so 5x6=30mm plus the top cap which is about 5mm. So total stack of 35mm

I certainly wouldnt want more than that amount of spacers. I currently have a 15mm top cap and a 10mm spacer on my C64 with a traditional stem, which looks okay.

Not sure why they messed with the geometry when its not really a full on race bike like the V4RS .
The bicycles are set up to have almost identical height of handlebars sou you can pretty much see difference in photos. C64 had a different headset cover and if you had integrated cabling, cover underneath the stem also served as a spacer.

You have to account for additional 1 cm of spacers with C68 in order to compensate for lower stack.

wilwil

by wilwil

TheBeautifulOne wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:35 pm
wilwil wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:16 am

You have to account for additional 1 cm of spacers with C68 in order to compensate for lower stack.
Yes and that would bring me to 35mm of spacers/topcap which is what Im guessing youve got on your C68. Not ideal and it sounds like you want to get rid of some of them which might not suit your riding position.

TheBeautifulOne

by TheBeautifulOne

wilwil wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:43 pm
Yes and that would bring me to 35mm of spacers/topcap which is what Im guessing youve got on your C68. Not ideal and it sounds like you want to get rid of some of them which might not suit your riding position.
Yes, you are right. However I got so used to my riding position on C64 that I have originally wanted to cut steerer tube further 1 cm. Doing this on C68 should be doable then.

I agree however, that for some of the riders geometry of C68 might be too aggressive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com