smallest and lightest bell?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

Sjoerd wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:45 am
fatpinarellorider wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:01 am
Cateye PB-600 super mini bell.
28 grams only.
How did you fasten it to your bike? I see that the diameter of the plastic thingy (don't know the English word) is only 22,2 mm.
I replaced the bolt not the clamp.

poulhansen

by poulhansen

Spurcycle, very loud but I also bought some cheap copies and removing the paint on the bell, which was brass, made them almost as loud as the original.
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

froze

by froze

Use a bell? Why? Who's going to hear it in a car? On a bike trail or path, you can use your voice more effectively.

If you want to save weight don't get a bell.

Besides, if you are warning someone with a bell I would think it would be better to have both hands on the brakes.

Bells are required by state law in 3 different states that I lived in, neither of those states enforced it, and I doubt any state does, heck, most states, if any, don't even enforce the use of reflectors. None of those states put bells or reflectors on new bikes before they're sold even though it is "required" to do so.

poulhansen

by poulhansen

Use a bell? Why? Who's going to hear it in a car? On a bike trail or path, you can use your voice more effectively.
If you want to save weight don't get a bell.
Besides, if you are warning someone with a bell I would think it would be better to have both hands on the brakes.
Bells are considered much more polite by others than shouting.

You don't have to be polite towards blundering cars ;-)

Of course you warn before you have to brake.

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

Knog Oi bell, large size 23.8 – 31.8mm bars, weight 26 g, small size 22.2mm bars, weight 17 g

https://www.knog.com/products/oi-classic-bike-bell

Or eBay/AliExpress knock-off...

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

Yes but that has an annoying singular 'ping' sound.
I prefer the classic kiddies "bring bring".
It's much more fun.

Plus oldies don't know if a kid is about to run them over or not, and thus pay more attention. :lol:

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

IME the freehub sound works much better than a bell
Obviously has its downsides too

usr

by usr

Tiny bell designed to be clipped to brake or shifting lines (those were the days), available from different brands (mine is "rose free tony adjust").

Modified to sit semi-recessed in the bay old Canyon aerocockpits had beneath the stem for housing a junction box. It's certainly too quiet to be reliably effective, I mostly use it to justify shouting when the freehub is not enough: "if you failed hear my bell you can't complain about shouting". For some awesome people, it works like magic, from a distance I would not expect even the most attentive to hear.

(then once there was this dog who iirc noticed me even before I could ring, attentively stepping into the grass and sitting at attention, slightly embarrassed it seemed about how long it took its human to make sense of the situation)

wwnero

by wwnero

Anyone tried the crane e-ne sbr? It's been specifically designed for drop bars but I'm not sure how comfortable it would be with your hands in the drops. Seems really good if you're just on the hoods though

usr

by usr

Ouch, those pictures are painful to look at. What were they thinking! Trigger warning, don't type that into a search engine!

spartacus

by spartacus

Ended up with this:

https://www.rei.com/product/218798/spur ... 18-mm-bell

Pretty much a winner. It's quite loud and rings for a long time. Pretty small on the bars and not stupid looking.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

for those who say yelling is "rude", just get used to yelling neutral words.

Back in our country we typically yell "RIDER", to alert others of our presence when we're descending or overtaking fast.

poulhansen

by poulhansen

MagicShite wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:23 pm

Back in our country we typically yell "RIDER", to alert others of our presence when we're descending or overtaking fast.
It's not me thinking it's rude. it's the pedestrians and other cyclists.

eneceka

by eneceka

Canyon Road Cycling Bell.
Looks well, but not very light.40gr, and 20€.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

MagicShite wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:23 pm

That only helps so far, making yourself heard over a long distance while being physically exerted will always sound off to those who are not. It's just not an easy situation with a good way to do it. I actually like doing both, when in a group, yelling to get heard and the bell as a little symbolic excuse for yelling, as in "see, the bell really isn't all that loud". A frequent reaction to yelling seems to be "you're supposed to have a bell!" and the tiny ding catches those by surprise (and chances are they would not have heard the bell before getting triggered into their "you're supposed to have a bell!" routine)