max wheel outer width on campy brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ctrip

by ctrip

HI, wich is the max wheel outer width on campy skeleton brakes (chorus 2015+)
I cant find the info on the campagnolo tech docs.

thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jwest

by jwest

ctrip wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:57 pm

thanks!
Do you mean rim width on the outside brake surface? or more importantly, do you need to know what tire will fit into the caliper when released / opened ?

It is my experience that any frame taking a single center bolt mounted caliper, is also old enough that it has design limiations for tire size, and thus ends up being the real tire and rim width restriction, not so much the caliper itself.

I have a pinarello prince from its brief moment in the lineup 2012. It will fit 25 mm tubular and tubeless. The tubeless 25 that ive used are vittoria corsa and continental gp 5000 s TL on campagnolo WTO rims which are fairly wide for rim brake bikes being 21mm internal and about 26-28 external (it's easily verified on the campy website). This tire and rim width combination works perfecly fine on the single mount calipers.

Again, the issue will more be the vertical clearance to fork crown and the width between chain stays on most bikes. next tightest spot will be vertical at seat stay bridge where the caliper bolts on.

ctrip

by ctrip

jwest wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:48 pm
ctrip wrote:

thanks!
Do you mean rim width on the outside brake surface? or more importantly, do you need to know what tire will fit into the caliper when released / opened ?

It is my experience that any frame taking a single center bolt mounted caliper, is also old enough that it has design limiations for tire size, and thus ends up being the real tire and rim width restriction, not so much the caliper itself.

I have a pinarello prince from its brief moment in the lineup 2012. It will fit 25 mm tubular and tubeless. The tubeless 25 that ive used are vittoria corsa and continental gp 5000 s TL on campagnolo WTO rims which are fairly wide for rim brake bikes being 21mm internal and about 26-28 external (it's easily verified on the campy website). This tire and rim width combination works perfecly fine on the single mount calipers.

Again, the issue will more be the vertical clearance to fork crown and the width between chain stays on most bikes. next tightest spot will be vertical at seat stay bridge where the caliper bolts on.
Thanks for the reply!,
My concern is the rim width on the outside brake surface, Im using 28mm continental gp 5000 with no problem in a wheel that has 19mm inner and 26mm external, but newer carbon wheels are 28mm (outer width) and I see almost no margin to go this wide because the calipers, I dont have problem with the tires, its the calipers.

Is there any official info from campagnolo about the limits of the skeleton chorus 2015+ brakes?

thanks!

jwest

by jwest

ctrip wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:07 pm
jwest wrote:
ctrip wrote:

thanks!

Thanks for the reply!,
My concern is the rim width on the outside brake surface, Im using 28mm continental gp 5000 with no problem in a wheel that has 19mm inner and 26mm external, but newer carbon wheels are 28mm (outer width) and I see almost no margin to go this wide because the calipers, I dont have problem with the tires, its the calipers.

Is there any official info from campagnolo about the limits of the skeleton chorus 2015+ brakes?

thanks!
I should go measure my wto rims but now that I'm more awake, i think i recal them being 26.5mm wide at the braking surface.

All you really need is a caliper to measure your pad to pad width when the caliper is set for braking, not wider like when you open it to move a tire in or out. What wheels are you considering that are so wide? Based on how my wto rims with 25mm tires fit into my 2012 prince, or even into my F10, a 28mm wide rim, and the resulting wider measured width of any tires on a wider rim, I'm not sure it's going to be so good but maybe your idea will work and it will probably be the limit for most bikes of that era.

Oh, also, what "newer carbon wheels" are both wide like you say but also still rim brake design? At some point this won't exist as a combination any more because the one dimension will outgrow the limits of the older design caliper limitation.

ctrip

by ctrip

jwest wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:46 pm
ctrip wrote:
jwest wrote:
ctrip wrote:

thanks!

Thanks for the reply!,

thanks!
I should go measure my wto rims but now that I'm more awake, i think i recal them being 26.5mm wide at the braking surface.

All you really need is a caliper to measure your pad to pad width when the caliper is set for braking, not wider like when you open it to move a tire in or out. What wheels are you considering that are so wide? Based on how my wto rims with 25mm tires fit into my 2012 prince, or even into my F10, a 28mm wide rim, and the resulting wider measured width of any tires on a wider rim, I'm not sure it's going to be so good but maybe your idea will work and it will probably be the limit for most bikes of that era.

Oh, also, what "newer carbon wheels" are both wide like you say but also still rim brake design? At some point this won't exist as a combination any more because the one dimension will outgrow the limits of the older design caliper limitation.
this wheel for example: https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/el ... ero-brake/
It is 28mm outer width for rim brakes

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Moving to Road forum.

MDecius

by MDecius

jwest wrote:
ctrip wrote:
jwest wrote:
ctrip wrote:

thanks!

https://www.campagnolo.com/ch-en/bora-w ... WTO45.html
Thanks for the reply!,

thanks!

Even though I know it does not answer the original question, I'm leaving this small correction here. WTO wheels are 19mm internal, not 21mm, which probably is a large reason why the OP is running 28mm GP5K's without clearance issue.

I have no idea about the external limits of the chorus calipers. Dura-Ace 9100 supports rim widths of 20.8-28mm based on the website: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... R9200.html

Couldn't find that data for Campy online, maybe you got a more detailed manual with your groupset? My WTO 45s came with an extensive manual that went beyond what was online.
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

jwest

by jwest

MDecius wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:33 am
jwest wrote:
ctrip wrote:
jwest wrote:

https://www.campagnolo.com/ch-en/bora-w ... WTO45.html
Thanks for the reply!,

thanks!

Even though I know it does not answer the original question, I'm leaving this small correction here. WTO wheels are 19mm internal, not 21mm, which probably is a large reason why the OP is running 28mm GP5K's without clearance issue.

I have no idea about the external limits of the chorus calipers. Dura-Ace 9100 supports rim widths of 20.8-28mm based on the website: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... R9200.html

Couldn't find that data for Campy online, maybe you got a more detailed manual with your groupset? My WTO 45s came with an extensive manual that went beyond what was online.
Damn, I don't like putting out bad info. 19 ID for WTO is correct of course. I confused myself because I also have the shamal carbon (21id) and the Levante (25id).

On a buyer note, the Shamal and Levante are discounted all over places I frequent now and I feel like $1000 usd for the shamal is a hell of a value when you consider all the aspects: wide "enough" for larger tires on any gravel bike but narrow enough to work on any racey road disc bike, no taping, campy bearings, 11-12-13 speed hub compatibility with the N3W, easy access spoke truing, safe clincher/tube use if needed or desired, it's just such a great product and price point now.

I have used 45mm on the shamal which is even better on the 25id Levante.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com