2024 product release rumors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:42 am
RDY wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:56 am
Seems like a silly price given that the molds are now made and any reasonable price will offset their sunk cost ...
This isn't the case for these crazy designs. The layup is notoriously slow/expensive, has a low yield, and would still be done in tiny batches. It's not at all like making a standard frame. The small parts are also usually custom local jobs. There are also other operational and sales reasons why supporting a low SKU product is annoying and expensive, but the point is its not about sunk cost in these cases.
It's a special project from the spun-off manufacturing arm of a Le Mans racing team (Dome Co. Ltd)

Probably the most high level pedigree of any track bike in existence

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CJosephB

by CJosephB

And "they" said Aero is dead... DARE says hold my beer.

Courtesy of Escape Collective

Not familiar with the DARE brand from Taiwan but they've been in the top peloton for a few years now. I'm guessing this must be an utterly vertically stiff bike with those deep wide-section profiles.
Last edited by CJosephB on Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aryeh

by Aryeh

CJosephB wrote:And "they" said Aero is dead... DARE says hold my beer.

Coutesy of Escape Collective

Not familiar with the DARE brand from Taiwan but they've been in the top peloton for a few years now. I'm guessing this must be an utterly vertically stiff bike with those deep wide-section profiles.
It looks like they designed that frame to be used without spacers. It looks weird with the handlebar not flush with the top tube.

toxin

by toxin

it's also not the right handlebar, theres a deeper one that's not being used in that pic

RDY

by RDY

Aryeh wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:57 pm
CJosephB wrote:And "they" said Aero is dead... DARE says hold my beer.

Coutesy of Escape Collective

It looks like they designed that frame to be used without spacers. It looks weird with the handlebar not flush with the top tube.
Old one was aping the Venge VIAS front end. They seem to have kept it for the new one. Spacers are fine.

Hopefully it's way lighter than the old one ... it and the integrated stem were real boat anchors. I felt sorry for some of the small women riding it on the team. Team bikes even in small sizes were nearly 9kg from what I heard, hence most preferring the climbing bike.

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Enve Fray

robeambro

by robeambro

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:15 am
Enve Fray

Link doesn't work but at least we know the price - and the fact that there's going to be barely any in stock, so Enve can sell out quickly and make it look like it was a huge success..

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

If they could give the Fray the Melee geo (it looks like a Melee with Mog bolts and storage), then bring out a Melee 2 which is a proper race bike, then their line up would make sense
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

voicycle

by voicycle

Yeah there was some chat about it here earlier with several comments wondering what the point is of having an endurance bike that's so close to the Melee.

I think the consideration is different here for Enve than for most other manufacturers. We must remember that they entered the frameset market with full custom first: https://enve.com/products/custom-road-deposit. And in addition to custom geometry that also offers "two unique personalities–Race and All Road". That sounds **very** similar to Melee/Fray to me.

If they were set up to do custom geometry and layup from the start then wouldn't that actually make it pretty easy to do a relaxed Melee (or a Melee/MOG crossover if that's what it ends up being)? And I imagine it wouldn't matter nearly as much if they only sold a handful of Frays in that instance. The wider customer appeal *as a whole-bike brand* would be worth way more than just the revenue brought in by the Fray itself.

I'm making some guesses way beyond my knowledge of frame manufacturing or Enve's unique processes here, but I look at the Fray and I just see a recognition that the whole Custom Road concept was a bit too ahead of its time and beyond the price tolerance of most customers, so they're throwing their weight behind the Melee/Fray off-the-shelf offerings instead. I know there are other differences (seatmast for example), but both Melee and Fray look to me like the mass-production (or at least batch production) versions of the Custom Road and I'd be shocked if the custom and production framesets used completely separate manufacturing processes.

TL;DR - I suspect Enve's manufacturing process is so easily adaptable that the biggest financial consideration of introducing a new model is just whether it can generate enough revenue to cover the admin/distribution of the additional SKUs.

voicycle

by voicycle

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Enve Fray

That metallic paint job makes me immediately think of the Aspero 5. If this thing can clear 45s (or even 40s) then it will probably get used less as an endurance bike and more as a Gravel Melee, even if the G word doesn't appear anywhere in their marketing or design brief.

Also I've seen on a separate thread that there's a new Aspero dropping sometime this month but it hasn't come up here yet. I can't imagine they'd be short sighted enough to leave the clearance as small as it is currently, so I'm sure it will go to at least 45.

I wonder how similar the two will end up being, even though one will be a road bike and the other gravel?

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Skärmklipp.PNG
As expected. Or not?

GaBa

by GaBa

Not even remotely. Looks like SRM / P2M design and I like it. It would give me a freedom to choose whichever pedals I like while using geniune Campagnolo crankset and having powermeter.

I am waiting to get my WRL crankset exchanged for 170mm from 172.5 but now I might as well check the possibility to get this one. I am just not that keen on being a first adopter...

CJosephB

by CJosephB

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Enve Fray

ENVE can do other colors of the spectrum! #PROGRESS!

Aside from the geometry which ofcourse would change the riding characteristics, I wonder if there's a change in the layup that would contribute to that as well.

Aeo

by Aeo

Idk about the hole in the crankarm
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I imagine the hole in the crank arm is to aid removal of the C-clip in the RH BB cup. Previous P2M and SRM Campag cranks both had it; I owned both.