Bross Zenith

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Top tier Bross Zenith Plume, available as frameset or complete bike
1020-1100g frame weight

2nd tier Bross Zenith, available in complete bikes only
1200-1280g frame weight

both tiers support mechanical groupsets
Last edited by StiffWeenies on Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

Plume 1100g and normal near 1300g, including paint. Fork is nearly 500g uncut.

I've asked those who have ridden it, and compared to SL8, it is stiffer but, way harsher, sadly. Decided not buying it due to the harsh ride.

AZR3

by AZR3

Too bad, I was following it and hoped it'd be a cheaper alternative to the Foil but I'm out also if it is a harsh ride

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Geometry
Last edited by StiffWeenies on Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

robeambro

by robeambro

If this got tested by Tour I think it would achieve an amazing result - looks like every tube is aero optimised to a good extent, even the seatstays.. Unfortunately this is unlikely to result in a plush ride.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

robeambro wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:14 am
If this got tested by Tour I think it would achieve an amazing result - looks like every tube is aero optimised to a good extent, even the seatstays.. Unfortunately this is unlikely to result in a plush ride.
Designing by eyeball aero is cheap, but there's a reason you need to test in order to know if it's actually fast.

gloscherrybomb

by gloscherrybomb

Looks like a TT frame with a standard road cockpit. I'm confident it would be fast in a straight line. Enjoyable for racking up KMs? Probably not.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Any chance they sell this outside China through Dristributors?
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

robeambro

by robeambro

BigBoyND wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:30 am
robeambro wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:14 am
Designing by eyeball aero is cheap, but there's a reason you need to test in order to know if it's actually fast.
If you're talking about designing a bike, sure.

But on my side (i.e. customer's side) eyeball aero works fine for guessing (because that's what I did - I said "I think it would") ballpark results. One doesn't need to be an engineer to reasonably assume (which doesn't mean that there's certainty, but a good degree of confidence) that those elongated fork shapes, deep headtube & downtube will perform well in the wind tunnel. Maybe I shouldn't have said "amazing", but I have a hard time believing this frame wouldn't test quite well.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

ViperFFM wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:32 am
Any chance they sell this outside China through Dristributors?
Panda Podium? China Cycling featured the frame in his Shanghai bike show coverage and I doubt Joe would give screentime to something he didn't plan on selling
AZR3 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:12 am
Too bad, I was following it and hoped it'd be a cheaper alternative to the Foil but I'm out also if it is a harsh ride
The Foil is only compliant because of its 3-piece seatpost that needs to be regreased every 1000km

RDY

by RDY

The only truly comfortable fat tubed aero bike is the Madone Gen6. Aeroad to some extent. I rode a Foil briefly ... it didn't feel comfy. S5 was worse still. Some people cite the C2 Koko ... it was the worst of all the above.

People acting surprised that this might not be very comfortable ... what were they expecting? Look at the rear triangle and fork / headtube. It's going to be really stiff. Probably not much different than SystemSix.

What tires does it fit though? And it looks like it's retained the reversible seatpost, which is definitely a good feature if you need to reduce reach or favor a forward position on the bike.

RDY

by RDY

But the huge Bross logo on the downtube ... I'm not sure if @Chinacycling is old enough to remember why that will kill sales to the UK.

alanyu

by alanyu

RDY wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:58 am
The only truly comfortable fat tubed aero bike is the Madone Gen6. Aeroad to some extent. I rode a Foil briefly ... it didn't feel comfy. S5 was worse still. Some people cite the C2 Koko ... it was the worst of all the above.
To me Madone gen 6 is less comfortable than Foil rc of the ptevious gen, and Madone 9.9 H1 was also less comfortable than Foil Premium rim at the same year.

toxin

by toxin

RDY wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:58 am
What tires does it fit though? And it looks like it's retained the reversible seatpost, which is definitely a good feature if you need to reduce reach or favor a forward position on the bike.
I believe 32mm on the front. The rear though I'm not sure, there's probably plenty of room around the stays, but that wheel well looks VERY tight, would have to test for anything beyond 28mm.

Agree with you, big fan of reversible seatposts

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

What worries me most with these full blown aero bikes is comfort and ride feel. It seems people get swayed by the promise of increased speed with lesser input, but isn't it a risk once you have come out of the honeymoon phase, you actually get tired of a harsh ride?
I had the first gen Foil and i felt it was harsh. I didn't get any better when i pared it with Mavic CCU.
Kind of wonder why Cervelo didn't designed a comfort seatpost. Anyway, this explains why Cervelo made S5D compatible with very large tires.
All in all i think the designers was lucky fat tires became trend because they now get away more easily designing a frame that really isn't comfortable.
To some degree i think it's why semi aero bikes has become trend. Partly the weight and partly they are probably riding a bit more friendly.
However, if you want optimized speed gain, i guess a full blown aero bike and a condom body suit is probably the key.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com