S-works torch lace

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lookryder

by Lookryder

Has anyone here tried the new shoe from Spesh? I'm considering replacing my old giro empire SLX and wondering how they compare. I'm hoping they're a bit wider in the toe box; at least that what I've read so far. Nothing online except the requisit "reviews" from the bike.cc, bike radar etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rishie

by Rishie

I went from lace Giro Empire SLXs to the S works 7 lace ups. In comparison, the toe box is very roomy. Reading the review for the new shoes, the toe box is even wider. Size 43 in both.

Lookryder

by Lookryder

So I bought a pair in white and thought I share some thoughts

I like the fit better than my old Empire SLX; in a size 44 the length of the Torch is a tad longer than my 44.5 empires, and the toe box is significantly roomier. The upper material is less stiff but not floppy or flaccid like the Exos I tried on a while ago.

The heel area is a bit roomier than my Empires; it does feel a little loose if I don't get the laces properly tight, but there's no slippage.

I've only had a handful of rides in them and they feel a little better with every ride as I break them in. My Empires took a good half season before I was comfortable with them; I don't think it will take nearly as long with the torch.

Ventilation is quite good, better than the Empires.

They clean up nicely with a damp towel. My last ride was unexpectedly in the rain and they were covered in dirt when I got home, but the cleaned up easily and look good as new except for slight discoloration in the laces.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

My BOA Torch finally gave out, so I'm thinking about getting the Laced Torch after hearing that laced shoes can be aerodynamically faster.

I'm wondering if it's possible to get the laces to look super clean like in the photos on Spesh's website, or if this is just a marketing photo and in reality it is required to tie normally with exposed bow and knots.

Anyone get these and know or have tips on how to make the laces look clean?

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

maxim809 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:05 am
My BOA Torch finally gave out, so I'm thinking about getting the Laced Torch after hearing that laced shoes can be aerodynamically faster.

I'm wondering if it's possible to get the laces to look super clean like in the photos on Spesh's website, or if this is just a marketing photo and in reality it is required to tie normally with exposed bow and knots.

It's a marketing photo, you can see the rubber part in the middle that lets you fix the tie. It's not like the DMT KRSL where you have some sort of pouch. Pictured is the previous iteration but it should be the same with the torch.

I'm currently running the sworks road 7 lace. Has anyone had both these and the torch lace and can make a comparison?
I felt the road 7 lace were more comfortable that the road 7s. I didn't really think the torch with boas were that much of an improvement.
Attachments
IMG_3062.jpeg

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

maxim809 wrote:My BOA Torch finally gave out, so I'm thinking about getting the Laced Torch after hearing that laced shoes can be aerodynamically faster.

How do you mean “gave out”? Boa have a lifetime warranty. If it’s the fasteners, just get them replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwiegand

by jwiegand

The S3 BOA'S are not good, I've had other shoes with BOA dials that are perfect but I don't know what's up with the S3. Plus if you have the white Torch with the silver dial good luck getting the same dials, it's €24 each dial if you can find 'em in stock. Otherwise you'll end up with a frankenstein shoe (like mine) with black BOA's.

I'm now also considering moving to the laced Torch because of this issues.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Right exactly. The S3 BOAs are susceptible to getting stuck and eventually snapping. The S3 are the 2-way dials that allows tightening/loosening, whereas the previous were pull-up to release. When my S3's starting getting stuck, I finagled the dials to a midway point between "tight and loose" so I could get in my shoe without relying on the dials. But they will eventually break and that's what mine did.

Also true, is that mine are White and the lifetime warranty only sends Black BOAs when I need Silver. I used BOA's support, and I received black dials. Call me vain, but the shoe would look silly so I didn't use it. I ended up going to an LBS where by luck an employee had a bag full of Silver BOAs, apparently because this happens a lot and they confirmed the S3's break all the time. And that people like white Torches but don't like black dials, apparently.

Furthermore, if your Torch 3.0's broken BOA is the top dial, you need to cut the straps in order to thread your new BOA lace. Which means:

1. Your laces are resting much higher (closer to your Tarsals or Talus, I guess?)
2. Which created a pressure point, at least for me
3. And now you need to now cut the straps on both shoes if you want it to be symmetrical for both feet

Which was all fine for a while... and on one hand made me appreciate that Spesh actually did their homework on placing those straps where they did to relieve pressure in the first place. But also sad that the shoe was built in a way where you had to permanently cut the pressure-relieving straps if and when the S3 BOAs broke, with no way to go back.

And now, the other BOAs are singing their death song. So I figured I'll start my research now for when they break. :)

Rotalution

by Rotalution

maxim809 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:07 pm
Right exactly. The S3 BOAs are susceptible to getting stuck and eventually snapping. The S3 are the 2-way dials that allows tightening/loosening, whereas the previous were pull-up to release. When my S3's starting getting stuck, I finagled the dials to a midway point between "tight and loose" so I could get in my shoe without relying on the dials. But they will eventually break and that's what mine did.

Also true, is that mine are White and the lifetime warranty only sends Black BOAs when I need Silver. I used BOA's support, and I received black dials. Call me vain, but the shoe would look silly so I didn't use it. I ended up going to an LBS where by luck an employee had a bag full of Silver BOAs, apparently because this happens a lot and they confirmed the S3's break all the time. And that people like white Torches but don't like black dials, apparently.

Furthermore, if your Torch 3.0's broken BOA is the top dial, you need to cut the straps in order to thread your new BOA lace. Which means:

1. Your laces are resting much higher (closer to your Tarsals or Talus, I guess?)
2. Which created a pressure point, at least for me
3. And now you need to now cut the straps on both shoes if you want it to be symmetrical for both feet

Which was all fine for a while... and on one hand made me appreciate that Spesh actually did their homework on placing those straps where they did to relieve pressure in the first place. But also sad that the shoe was built in a way where you had to permanently cut the pressure-relieving straps if and when the S3 BOAs broke, with no way to go back.

And now, the other BOAs are singing their death song. So I figured I'll start my research now for when they break. :)

BOA laces can be undone and threaded through? I believe you didnt have to cut the straps refer to below video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1EjgzP ... el=GCNTech

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Rotalution wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:16 am

BOA laces can be undone and threaded through? I believe you didnt have to cut the straps refer to below video.

I'm sad. The shop I went to told me cutting it was the only way. Maybe they didn't know how to do it for the S3. I should have just asked online, lol.

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Rotalution wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:16 am

Awesome, thank you.
EDIT: Don't think it's possible with the ones referred to in this thread. You can't open those up.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

Lightweenie2

by Lightweenie2

@Lookryder: I am in the same boat as you, riding Empire SLX's in 44.5 for the last 6 year and am very happy with them. However, they look quite beaten up from the outside by now, and I have the feeling that the insole became slightly "flatter" over time (am using the highest arch support they have available). I am conflicted if I should get the newer Empires in the same size (with the idea of "if it works, stick with it") or switch to the S-works torch lace ones which look nicer in my opinion. I have two questions regarding sizing:

1. How does the width of the two shoes compare? You say that the torch lace have a wider toebox but how about the rest of the shoe? I have very narrow and low-volume feet which is one of the reasons that the empires work so well.

2. You write that the torch lace in 44 are slightly wider than the empire SLX in 44.5. I am a bit surprised/confused by this, since the empire slx according to giro are supposed to be of length 280mm in 44 and 285 in 44.5. When I bought mine the 44s were a touch too short and the 44.5 a touch too long, so I was thinking that the torch laces in 44 (with a supposed length of 283mm) would fit even better at least length-wise... Is it really true that the torch laces in 44 are longer than the empires in 44.5 or could that just be an impression from the roomier toebox?

PS. I will try to get to a shop that has them on stock to try them on, but this is not so easy.

Upcountry

by Upcountry

A shoe thread I missed?!!?
I can help, as I wore Giro shoes for years(Empire SLX and ACC, Prolights, Sector) for years, in size 44.5 and have now gone all in on Specialized shoes.
I was happy with Giro shoes, no pain or anything, but wanted to see what else was out there... You don't know what you're missing until you know... For me, who like you has rather slender feet(with mid-high arches), I wasn't sure I'd want a roomier toe box as found on the Torch and other Specialized shoes, but it just works. I understand how a good tight shoe feels "supportive" and lke it'll better help transfer power to the pedal, but its just unnecessary in the toe area. The Torch line(we'll include the Recon SL in here, as its based on the same last) holds the heel in place, and the Boa positions(or laces) work really well, and offer a better load distribution across the top of the foot than the Empires did without doubt.

Regarding length, I think you're correct that a 44 in Specialized is equal to a 44.5(if not more like a 44.75ish) in Giro. I had a pair of Giro Empires in 45 for my ultra races, to give some room for swelling, and have been now using 44 Specialized across the board on both mountian and road, with some 50+ hour efforts and no issue with room.

There is good discussion on the Torch, and Torch Lace in this thread as well:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=168144

da123

by da123

Upcountry wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:40 pm
A shoe thread I missed?!!?
I can help, as I wore Giro shoes for years(Empire SLX and ACC, Prolights, Sector) for years, in size 44.5 and have now gone all in on Specialized shoes.
I was happy with Giro shoes, no pain or anything, but wanted to see what else was out there... You don't know what you're missing until you know... For me, who like you has rather slender feet(with mid-high arches), I wasn't sure I'd want a roomier toe box as found on the Torch and other Specialized shoes, but it just works. I understand how a good tight shoe feels "supportive" and lke it'll better help transfer power to the pedal, but its just unnecessary in the toe area. The Torch line(we'll include the Recon SL in here, as its based on the same last) holds the heel in place, and the Boa positions(or laces) work really well, and offer a better load distribution across the top of the foot than the Empires did without doubt.

Regarding length, I think you're correct that a 44 in Specialized is equal to a 44.5(if not more like a 44.75ish) in Giro. I had a pair of Giro Empires in 45 for my ultra races, to give some room for swelling, and have been now using 44 Specialized across the board on both mountian and road, with some 50+ hour efforts and no issue with room.

There is good discussion on the Torch, and Torch Lace in this thread as well:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=168144
I would echo this assessment, having ridden Empires and Prolights for years before switching. The Torch are a lot wider in the forefoot, but I'd say similar in the mid foot and perhaps just a touch wider at the heel. It is, however, easy to achieve a very secure feeling fit, much more than the Empires I'd say. The upper on the Empire is just not that supportive in comparison. You can have the stiffest sole in the world, but if the rest of the shoe is very pliable then I think that will affect power transfer (or at least the perception of power transfer, we know that the actual differences will be minuscule). If you have very narrow feet all the way (my feet are narrow at the rear and mid foot, flat in the arch but wide at the toes), I guess you could feasibly find the amount of pinky room too much. On sizing, ditto Upcountry's assessment - I was a 45 in all Giro shoes, but 45 in the Torch is too big, and I take a 44.5.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lightweenie2

by Lightweenie2

thanks for the replies. I went over the other thread as well. I guess what I learned is that (1) I need to also get some insoles -- probably the BG green and (2) if the 44 is more like a 44.75 in giro sizing then it may make sense to at least try on even a 43.5...

In any case I will try to call the only shop that carries specialized in the area (afaik they specialize in e-bikes) and see if they have the shoes in stock. If not I will try ordering online, and probably just order the 44s as a first attempt.