Cannondale SuperSix Evo4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

johnpuga1982

by johnpuga1982

hannawald wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:34 pm
I tighten the expander to 4Nm, then top cap to 4Nm, then I release top cap and expander bolt is only 3Nm. Is that normal?
BobbyB wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:24 pm
Might be the top cap bolt binding sighting to the expander bolt thread, so when you release the top cap it's also releasing the expander bolt a little too.

I had the issue (more than once) of top cap bolt binding (fully!) to the expander bolt thread. It doesn't seem like a great design to me.
Try this:
- Insert the delta expander plug and torque to 4 N•m
- Install SystemBar/Momo
- Place purple filler piece in SystemBar/Momo slots
- Apply a small amount of lubrication on the delta expander plug thread
- Used the Conceal top cap and Conceal bolt to preload the handlebars, torque to 4 N•m (you can go to 4.5 N•m)
- Remove the Conceal top cap and Conceal bolt
- Check if the delta explander plug is still at 4 N•m, if so continue
- Apply a small amount of lubrication to the SystemBar/Momo top cap thread and bolts
- Install the SystemBar/Momo top cap and torque to 4 N•m
- Install the SystemBar/Momo handlebar bolts and alternate tightening the bolts in 1 N•m steps until both are tightened to 6 N•m.
- Test ride

This might solve the issue if the the delta expander plug is binding. If the problem continues, take a picture of your delta plug and post it here. You could also check the SystemBar/Momo top cap threads to see if there's an issue. My Momo bar didn't come with a top cap, I ordered that part separately (fourth picture). Where did you get yours? Here are some pictures of what a new delta expander plug looks like.

Also, don't use loctite. Per Cannondale's insturctions you're suppose to check your brake lines every six months.
Attachments
expander-plug-2
expander-plug-2
expander-plug-3
expander-plug-3
expander-plug-4
expander-plug-4
new-expander-plug
new-expander-plug
six-month-check
six-month-check

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eins4eins

by eins4eins

wickedstealthy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:33 pm
eins4eins wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:28 pm
thanks for the pictures. Momo is the best looking in my opinion, but even the longest option is too short for me. Aerover is also not ideal, as i prefer more reach from handlebar to lever. Makes holding illegal aero positions much easier.

Another really annoying thing: front brake hose leaves the steerer on the right side. For non-moto brake setup, you need to awkwardly tape the hose around the steerer. Is moto style more common?!
It's of course preference but I hardly see any issue with a bit shorter reach. What's actually giving issues with a bit shorter reach ? Contrary to a too long reach
Its easier to stay in aero position when i can support my weight by the forearms resting on the handlebar. With <75mm reach, weight is more on the wrist than forearms and its more tiring.

hannawald

by hannawald

johnpuga1982 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:55 am
hannawald wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:34 pm
I tighten the expander to 4Nm, then top cap to 4Nm, then I release top cap and expander bolt is only 3Nm. Is that normal?
Try this:
- Insert the delta expander plug and torque to 4 N•m
- Install SystemBar/Momo
- Place purple filler piece in SystemBar/Momo slots
- Apply a small amount of lubrication on the delta expander plug thread
- Used the Conceal top cap and Conceal bolt to preload the handlebars, torque to 4 N•m (you can go to 4.5 N•m)
- Remove the Conceal top cap and Conceal bolt
- Check if the delta explander plug is still at 4 N•m, if so continue
- Apply a small amount of lubrication to the SystemBar/Momo top cap thread and bolts
- Install the SystemBar/Momo top cap and torque to 4 N•m
- Install the SystemBar/Momo handlebar bolts and alternate tightening the bolts in 1 N•m steps until both are tightened to 6 N•m.
- Test ride

This might solve the issue if the the delta expander plug is binding. If the problem continues, take a picture of your delta plug and post it here. You could also check the SystemBar/Momo top cap threads to see if there's an issue. My Momo bar didn't come with a top cap, I ordered that part separately (fourth picture). Where did you get yours? Here are some pictures of what a new delta expander plug looks like.

Also, don't use loctite. Per Cannondale's insturctions you're suppose to check your brake lines every six months.
Thanks, I will try when I got home after work today. It might be the top cap binding with the expander, it already happened to me that when I wanted to release the top cap it went away with the expander. I already tried to use anti seize but it didn´t help so I cleaned everything properly with isopropyl alcohol and now it is clean. So you would grease the top cap threads. Should I also grease expander plug bolt? anything else? Your advice is to put grease on Momo stem bolts as well? I only use loctite or anti seize on these bolts... so grease? What about carbon paste inside the steerer?
Actually I have 2 top caps, one came with the frameset and one with Momo bars. I might try the 2nd one. My expander is the black one. I can see there is black one (K35063) and silver one (K35051). It seems the black one is the newer one as it has the higher number in product code?

picocassette

by picocassette

dscottp wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:50 pm
Has anybody found a suitable touchup paint for the Viper Green. Love the color, but I've picked up a couple of chips in the paint that are more noticable than I'd like.
You can try the folks at myperfectcolor.com or like recommended, go to a body paint supply store and they can do a match or go through their catalog. Would be nice if Cannondale was able to share the color and then you can get it mixed.

If you don't need to match perfectly, you can try something like Dodge Snakeskin Green Pearl or BMW Java Green - these should be somewhat in the same color range.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

dscottp wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:50 pm
Has anybody found a suitable touchup paint for the Viper Green. Love the color, but I've picked up a couple of chips in the paint that are more noticable than I'd like.
Don't know where you are located but if in Europe

https://www.unlimitedcolors.nl/

These guys paint frame for teams in pro tour and manufacturers. They make the color of your choice as touch up paint.

I have made paint for my v3rs frozen red made by them

daukstik

by daukstik

daukstik wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:19 am
mcmxcmv wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:41 am
daukstik wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:13 pm
hi everyone, new to the forum but had to post given this is a safety issue. saw at least one other person deal with this in the past.

currently dealing with cannondale to get them to fix/replace the clamp and damaged seatpost on my lab 71

i went to adjust the post height and realized it had been severely cracked; had i not gone to do this enivedably it would have cracked and I could have been seriously injured

this clamp came with my lab 71 frame and I was one of the first to get the lab 71 on order

see photos for the damage

if anyone is riding a lab 71 please check this on your bike as it may be happening without you knowing given the clamp compressing against the seatpost is hidden from view
IMG20240306175537.jpgIMG20240310181544.jpgIMG20240310163626.jpgIMG20240310163623.jpgIMG20240310163620.jpgIMG20240310163617.jpg

Hello,

Have you got the bike inspected at a cannondale dealer or you just wrote them about the issue ? I'm in the same possition as you , and Iit looks like there are some marks from the clamp on the seatpost
i brought in the seatpost the clamp to an REI by me and explained it. They initiated a warranty claim as you can not do that directly as a consumer. I am not waiting for cannondale to get me replacements.
Final update, cannondale shipped out replacement seat post and wedge. The wedge is actually light blue in the latest batch, not pink anymore and had a date of winter 2023

Hopefully no more issues on this!!

daukstik

by daukstik

GrassQ wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:03 am
I think that Bettiols bike have vision made or some other special dustcover.It seems higher than Cannondales original.
With Vision bar and Cannondales original dustcover you need one spacer for cable routing under the stem and filler pieces.
I attched picture of my bike; that spacer could maybe be a couple mm lower but I am not sure. I use cannondales own spacers.
With conseal stem you can slam the front end totally to dust cap, and same with momo bar.

yes he got a custom one made

these photos were what I originally thought was possible but after many convo's w/ cannondale they acknowledged the pros get special parts to make these things work ahead of the general public

daukstik

by daukstik

forklifter wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:46 am
I contacted my LBS with the seatpost issue. He has confirmed that the new bikes have the new clamping. However, there is no official recall and there is no safety risk. He will not replace the seat post or the clamp. He also said that the clamp is not available separately. At least that is not correct.
100% this is a safety issue, both bike shops in my area couldn't believe how bad of an issue this was when I explained the situation and that the cracking was within the frame so hidden from view unless you were to remove the seatpost

cannondale got me new binder and seatpost within days after I reported this

daukstik

by daukstik

forklifter wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:48 pm
Hello, I can not find any contact to Cannondale. They want the customer to talk with lbs.
And no, I have no current issue like a broken seatpost. I have two seatpost with deep cuts in it like there were pictures of it in this thread.

The lbs said they had contact with Cannondale for this issue and Cannondale doenst give binder and seatpost for free to lbs. Dont know is this is true.
this is a lie, cannondale fixed everything when contacted by my lbs last week

sigma

by sigma

Is there any consensus on which paint jobs for either the lab71 or Hi Mod are lighter/heavier? I had the luxury of test riding the hi mod in a 56 then took an evo 2 in 54 out as I was testing geometry. As many of you have noted, those are two very different handling bikes. I need to come back with my own pedals and shoes to test the toe overlap but leaning toward a 54 lab71 currently and now debating the biggest question of all: what color!
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

ColonelMustard

by ColonelMustard

sigma wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:09 am
Is there any consensus on which paint jobs for either the lab71 or Hi Mod are lighter/heavier? I had the luxury of test riding the hi mod in a 56 then took an evo 2 in 54 out as I was testing geometry. As many of you have noted, those are two very different handling bikes. I need to come back with my own pedals and shoes to test the toe overlap but leaning toward a 54 lab71 currently and now debating the biggest question of all: what color!
I weighed the Lab71 WOW coloured frame in 56 before building up and it was spot on 770g.

ColonelMustard

by ColonelMustard

Does anyone know if you're supposed to fit the Delta Preload Stem Spacer Kit part No K28042 with the MOMO bars?

It's shown in some diagrams and not in others so bit confusing to me. Was wondering what others have done.
Attachments
Momo_assembly.png
K28042.png
K28042.png (67.78 KiB) Viewed 1225 times

cobc11

by cobc11

ColonelMustard wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 am
Does anyone know if you're supposed to fit the Delta Preload Stem Spacer Kit part No K28042 with the MOMO bars?

It's shown in some diagrams and not in others so bit confusing to me. Was wondering what others have done.
That spacer is only needed when using a atandard stem and round spacers. If you are using the evo spacers or slamming on the dustcover, they support the filler pieces and the round spacer is not needed.

ColonelMustard

by ColonelMustard

cobc11 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:38 pm
ColonelMustard wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 am

That spacer is only needed when using a atandard stem and round spacers. If you are using the evo spacers or slamming on the dustcover, they support the filler pieces and the round spacer is not needed.
Ahhh, got it... thank you for explaining

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigma

by sigma

ColonelMustard wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:47 am
sigma wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:09 am
I weighed the Lab71 WOW coloured frame in 56 before building up and it was spot on 770g.
Thank you. Seems like the EF and WOW are both strangely lighter than the black.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8