Di2 Cheat Sheets are here!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PFoxy

by PFoxy

Thanks will try

Sub2

by Sub2

I've just purchased a used 2021 Tarmac SL7 with 11speed Ultegra DI2.
It's my first bike with electronic gears, other than using the change levers to go up and down the cassette and from the big to small ring I've no idea what other aspects of set up are available.
Could anyone advise what " cheat sheet " I should have a look at in the opening post , or where I may be able to educate myself as to what options are available ?
Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

11-speed Di2 with Synchro shift.

Whether or not it is bluetoothLE/ANT capable depends on whether someone installed the d-fly module or not... that functionality did not come standard with 11-speed bikes.

Sub2

by Sub2

Thanks Terry.
Downloaded for printing, will also have a Google 👍

Swannie

by Swannie

hi, dont know if my question is in the right place but i'll ask it anyway.
I'm a sram etap user for a few years and just received a new bike wich is equipped with 11 speed dura ace di2.
I cant get used to the small buttons of the shimano shifters and now i would like to set up my di2 as my red axs => left shifter to go lighter in the rear / right shifter to go heavier in the rear and if possible l+r to shift in the front.

i searched the net but cant seem to find the wright answer. I did found the etube program but i only have a macbook and that doesnt seem to work with di2...

can some here help me out?

thx!

Broady

by Broady

I currently have pretty much a full 12 speed groupset en route minus the chainset as I have a perfectly good 9100 Stages set to use - I've read that the last gen stuff should work fine but I may need a 1mm spacer to push the chainline out a bit, does anyone have any experience with this?

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

I used a WheelsMfg 1mm 'crank spindle washer' to push the chain rings out a bit when I used my 11-speed crankset, yeah...

You can always use it and see what FD adjustment values you need.. and add a washer if required :)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If one is sensitive about having the correct Q factor on both sides after offsetting the crank, Wheels Mfg. also makes pedal spindle washers that are 1.2mm thick.

Btw, I measured two sets of GRX chainrings, 11-speed vs. 12-speed, and found the 12-speed to be 0.35mm closer together. The closer 12-speed chainrings do shift better on a 12-speed group (I'm using GRX chainrings on a 9200 group). So it's better to use 12-speed chainrings on a 12-speed group (the 9200 rings can fit on a 9100 crank).

ogcsmith

by ogcsmith

Just setup a new 12 speed 8170 di2 setup and saw there appeared to be an update on the shifters to firmware 4.1.2. No problem. I thought, plug in the cable and do the firmware upgrade.

Plug in the cable and it shows wired but is saying I'm running the latest firmware at 4.0.3. Is this right, it does seem like 4.1.2 is the latest according to the Shimano website?

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

With the shifters connected by wire, try tapping that 'download' icon at the top right. That should force a check for new firmware updates:

https://imgur.com/a/MrfrzlP

Agent041

by Agent041

I have to exchange the Ultegra 8150 12speed rear derailleur on my new bike. It came damaged on the bike when arrived. I will receive the derailleur these days from the seller.

Do I just exchange the derailleur and connect the wire and it will already work? Or do I need to do also some sort of pairing? Through app or manually?
I suppose the setup will be also of, so will have to adjust fine tunning as if I would install the whole new group?

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

Wireless shifters are paired to the rear derailleur, so if you have wireless shifters, you'll have to pair those again - I'd use the app to do that myself.
If they are wired shifters then there is no need to pair them.

If the seller has paired wireless shifters to that derailleur before, they may show up when you connect to the bike using E-Tube Project. You can unpair them through the 'add wireless switch' screen :).

Agent041

by Agent041

TerryDi2C wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:10 am
Wireless shifters are paired to the rear derailleur, so if you have wireless shifters, you'll have to pair those again - I'd use the app to do that myself.
If they are wired shifters then there is no need to pair them.

If the seller has paired wireless shifters to that derailleur before, they may show up when you connect to the bike using E-Tube Project. You can unpair them through the 'add wireless switch' screen :).
It is wireless 12speed. The seller did nothing.

So if I understand correctly. FIrst I would have to disconnect the existing rear derailleur from the shifters through the App. Then dismount the old derailleur. Then mount the new derailleur (and plug the cable to the battery), and then connect the derailleur through the App? Probably when connecting (and searching) press the button on derailleur till the blue shows?
Correct?
Anything else?

Can I leave existing derailleur also connected, so if I will have to install the old one again, it will be already connected?

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

You can disconnect your current RD right now, don't worry about doing things in the app.

When you pair the wireless shifters to the new derailleur, those shifters will only work with the new derailleur.
(I know... I tried to pair shifters to two different rear derailleurs ;-)).

So...
1. Disconnect the old RD, take it off the bike
2. Connect the new RD
3. Connect to the bike by holding the RD button for 0.5 - 2 secs (flashing blue LED)
4. Go to 'add wireless switch' and pair the shifters to the RD

If you ever connect the old RD to the bike again, it may think that the shifters are still paired to it... (not sure), but the shifters won't work - I assume the shifters also keep record of the RD that they are paired to. Shifters can only be paired to one rear derailleur.
(But if you were to pair the shifters to the 'old' RD again, that would work, of course :))

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Agent041

by Agent041

Thanks for perfect easy explanation :)