Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Maddie

by Maddie

I made a spontaneous decision to order a Propel Advanced Pro frameset in size M. This particular frameset is not available in Switzerland so I had to order it in Italy. I should be able to pick it up in the store mid February. Like this I can also profit from the much lower VAT in Switzerland since I can claim it back when the frame is exported from Italy. Difference is 22% vs 8.1%. The shop where I ordered was/is very helpful since I bought a TCR frame from them just two weeks ago. And the Swiss Franc is very strong at the moment which sweetens the deal even more.

The plan is to strip the frameset to bare carbon and just go for unobtrusive logos and clearcoat. I will add Farsports hooked wheels in 50/30mm, probably with carbon spokes, EXS Aerover in 360/110mm (thanks for the pics, Mindflash) and a mix of DA and Ultegra 12s groupset with Red cranks. Not in a hurry with this one, first I need to get the frame and then strip it. That will take a couple of weeks anyway.

Not sure at this point what I will do with the TCR frameset. It is a lot heavier than I expected at 1094g without any hardware.

Tooslow

by Tooslow

"Not sure at this point what I will do with the TCR frameset. It is a lot heavier than I expected at 1094g without any hardware."

Which frame is 1094g, the TCR or Propel?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

coverstem wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:41 pm
new CADEX integrated bar for Propel pro team, see today in Michael Matthews IG accout https://www.instagram.com/p/C2MWNDWo_Nw/
NOT IN STOCK for the moment
Looks like little plugs for climbing shifters built in. Or maybe a different way of routing cables externally.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

the propel looks fantastic. i saw one in person and giant has come a long way since the once tcr days

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Tooslow wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:10 pm
"Not sure at this point what I will do with the TCR frameset. It is a lot heavier than I expected at 1094g without any hardware."

My propel pro advanced in M was 1024g, so I think he means the propel

Maddie

by Maddie

Eterna7m wrote:
Tooslow wrote:

Correct, my TCR weighs 1094g. I don't know about my Propel yet since I haven't received it.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Maddie wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:45 pm
Eterna7m wrote:
Tooslow wrote:

Correct, my TCR weighs 1094g. I don't know about my Propel yet since I haven't received it.
Ok, damn. Then that TCR is heavier than I thought. Which size?

Maddie

by Maddie

Same here!
It's also size M

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

:)

How does the stripping to bare carbon work with the warranty?

Tooslow

by Tooslow

I'm surprised at the weight of the TCR & the Propel!

GrassQ

by GrassQ

Some Propel weights MY23

Blue advanced frame size ML, frame 1.225 g, with derailleur hangers and bottle cage bolts, without those 1.200 g estimate
fork 450 g "almost" uncut and seatpost about 195 g (my own measurements)

Orion nebula advanced frame size ML, frame 1211 g, uncut fork 470 g, seatpost 195 g (my own measurements)
Tour 1195/491

Advanced SL Jayco Alula team color my23 , ML frame 975 g (isp system) , fork uncut 411 g (Tour magazin), isp seat clamp 100 g ? I dont know the weight

RDY

by RDY

coverstem wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:41 pm
new CADEX integrated bar for Propel pro team, see today in Michael Matthews IG accout https://www.instagram.com/p/C2MWNDWo_Nw/
NOT IN STOCK for the moment
Guessing a new complete bike with this included will be released soon and it'll be tested in Tour ... should give them another 3-4 watts.

Maddie

by Maddie

Eterna7m wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:01 am
How does the stripping to bare carbon work with the warranty?
Simple, it's good bye warranty :-) Not that I'm worried too much about that. I do some basic checks though: inspect for any obvious surface damage (paint, hairline cracks), weigh every part of the frameset separately, check seatpost fitment and measure the bottom bracket and headtube bores with an internal micrometer. If that's all ok, then it's knife-time. And before assembly, I tap all the threads and face the caliper mounts on the frame and fork. If the frame fails or has a problem at that point, then I'll live with the consequences :lol: :lol:

The frame is supposed to arrive in two weeks.

Dai

by Dai

Hi all, quick question on cutting the steerer. Obviously with the factory stem, the steerer comes cut about 5mm below the top of the stem to allow for the expander plug and for a little bit of movement for the top cap to do its job.

I'm used to other bikes that require you to have the steerer extend above the stem by 5mm or so. I can't find any advice from Giant on how the steerer should be cut/installed.

Any advice or pointers to Giant docs would be gratefully appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bedampft

by bedampft

Dai wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:56 am
Hi all, quick question on cutting the steerer. Obviously with the factory stem, the steerer comes cut about 5mm below the top of the stem to allow for the expander plug and for a little bit of movement for the top cap to do its job.

I'm used to other bikes that require you to have the steerer extend above the stem by 5mm or so. I can't find any advice from Giant on how the steerer should be cut/installed.

Any advice or pointers to Giant docs would be gratefully appreciated.
As with every Giant or Liv bike: As it arrives from the factory.

Meaning:
- Steerer cut below the top of the stem, above/at the upper bolt.
- Bikes come with the maximum amount of spacers allowed.
- Max Disc diameter is depending on the adapter already in place. So if it's a 140mm Disc at the rear, but a 160/140 adapter, you can run max. 160mm. Some for the front.