Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Got 'em

How's the handlebar doing bedampft?

apr46

by apr46

patliean1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:27 pm
CustomMetal wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:58 pm
Very much enjoying your YouTube channel too 🙏
chorus88 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:40 pm
I enjoyed your video @ YT.
The amount of money you spent, Giant CS should have treated you better.
In the end, you finally have your complete Propel. :thumbup:
Brand Warranty is important in 2024
Thanks! The entire experience was a learning lesson for sure. And I suppose a 2 month turn-around isn't terrible, especially in the winter time. This was my first time ever dealing with any sort of warranty. Of course it had to be on my most expensive bike LoL

Moving forward if I decide (or can afford) to keep reviewing premium brands, I'll just make sure to have them built at a professional bike shop. According to my research and conversations with pro bike mechanics, a frame warranty would not be at risk of being voided as long as the bike is built by a certifed professsional. This is regardless of whether or not said mechanic is working at shop that is also an authorized dealer. However, warranty claims would still need to go through authorized dealers.

Please let correct me if any of this is inaccurate.
As you are the the US, the burden of proof is on the company providing the product that any work you did on your own was the most likely cause of any issue that might be warranty related. A company cannot just say you need to use a certified service center for warranty coverage. The cheapest way, in my experience, to get someone to help you lean on a company in cases like these would be to carry an insurance policy that would cover this as damage. I am happy to let them fight over who gets to pay so I dont have to.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomsneo

by tomsneo

patliean1 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:56 pm
Cross-posting from my fork replacement thread. After 2 months dealing with warranty issues, I finally have a functional Propel again. Best bike I've tested thus far.

Currently running a set of Elite Drive 65D wheels (1488g). Prior to the warranty issues I had Craft Racing Works CS5060 (1301g) wheels which made the Propel feel like a rocketship. But had to swap those wheels to use on my Tavelo Attack :D
Looking good Patty!
Masi 3VC SL
S-Works SL7
Supersix Evo HM Black INC

vincentb89

by vincentb89

Hi,

I've asked a few questions within the last year regarding upgrading my 2023 propel (many thanks for the advice !) and couldn't find time to upload a pic of my build but here it is now .

Stock model is a 2023 Advanced Pro 0 with ultegra di2 in a L frame size and I've made a few changes to improve the steed !
1.Stock handlebar was 44cm wide and i've changed it to a 40 cm pro vibe superlight aero carbon bar (both weighing around 220g using a parktool at my lbs during the switch / the mech had to work a bit the center hole in order to accomodate the internal routing)
2.Stock crankset (without a powermeter) was changed to a Quarq with Rotor round cranks 52/36 and I messed up by ordering the wrong cranks / switching to red cranks and spindle should remove 140g in the near future
3.Stock wheels became training wheels when I splurged on ENVE SES 4.5 (DT 180 hubs) with a dura ace 11 30 cassette and GP 5000 TT tires (28mm run tubeless)
and i added a ceramic speed coated OSPW for the gucci factor :D
4. Stock saddle was switched to a selle italia removing a hundred grams

As of now the whole set up (ready to ride with ultegra pedals and garmin mount) weighs 7.82 kgs but I suspect there's far more sealant than needed / hoping to lighten it a bit before doing IM Nice in two months (have done it last year with the same frame before mods and preferred using a road bike far more than in 2022 when I used my TT bike)

Cheers !
Attachments
IMG_0517.jpeg

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Nice work!

What model saddle is that, that comes in brown? Or is that just the lighting? (I'd be tempted to match the saddle with bar tape color.)

vincentb89

by vincentb89

The saddle is indeed nubuck brown and it's a selle italia SLR Boost Carbon Superflow (advertised as 130g but didn't check when I installed it)
cheers

QuackMD

by QuackMD

vincentb89 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:38 pm
Hi,

I've asked a few questions within the last year regarding upgrading my 2023 propel (many thanks for the advice !) and couldn't find time to upload a pic of my build but here it is now .

Stock model is a 2023 Advanced Pro 0 with ultegra di2 in a L frame size and I've made a few changes to improve the steed !
1.Stock handlebar was 44cm wide and i've changed it to a 40 cm pro vibe superlight aero carbon bar (both weighing around 220g using a parktool at my lbs during the switch / the mech had to work a bit the center hole in order to accomodate the internal routing)
2.Stock crankset (without a powermeter) was changed to a Quarq with Rotor round cranks 52/36 and I messed up by ordering the wrong cranks / switching to red cranks and spindle should remove 140g in the near future
3.Stock wheels became training wheels when I splurged on ENVE SES 4.5 (DT 180 hubs) with a dura ace 11 30 cassette and GP 5000 TT tires (28mm run tubeless)
and i added a ceramic speed coated OSPW for the gucci factor :D
4. Stock saddle was switched to a selle italia removing a hundred grams

As of now the whole set up (ready to ride with ultegra pedals and garmin mount) weighs 7.82 kgs but I suspect there's far more sealant than needed / hoping to lighten it a bit before doing IM Nice in two months (have done it last year with the same frame before mods and preferred using a road bike far more than in 2022 when I used my TT bike)

Cheers !
Nice looking bike! I've been looking at replacing my stock handelbar with the pro one too. Did you have any issues routing the hoses through the smaller hole in the stem clamp area? And could you perhaps take a photo of your cockpit from above?

vincentb89

by vincentb89

When switching bars the mech told me he had to work a bit the handlebar centre hole to accomodate the hoses (i suppose he enlarged it a bit with a tool but didn't enquire further given that the pro vibe handlebar was purchased at their shop).
I've taken pictures of the cockpit from up and below / hope it helps.
Attachments
IMG_0520.jpeg
IMG_0518.jpeg

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

I am sorry but what is going on with those spacers on the stem???

vincentb89

by vincentb89

Working on my core flexibility to remove spacers and adopt a more agressive position / mech advised me to abstain cutting the fork tube before I was sure I could handle the lowered cockpit position hence the spacers on top of the stem

RDY

by RDY

vincentb89 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:41 pm
Working on my core flexibility to remove spacers and adopt a more agressive position / mech advised me to abstain cutting the fork tube before I was sure I could handle the lowered cockpit position hence the spacers on top of the stem
You don't put integrated spacers above the stem ...

KyleH

by KyleH

Anyone have a side shot of the Propel with the Bigrock bar installed?

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

RDY wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:51 pm
vincentb89 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:41 pm
You don't put integrated spacers above the stem ...
Meh, a spacer is a spacer. Once the stem is clamped down it doesn't matter what happens above the stem. Apart from looks there's nothing structural that spacer is doing.

ColnagoJohn

by ColnagoJohn

anybody out in the general public managed to get hold of the Cadex aero one piece bar yet? my advanced pro sl frameset has arrived and i have been told end of May at the earliest for delivery. a little bit frustrating as its the only part i dont have so i cant get on with the build. I'm in the uk if it makes any difference

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vincentb89

by vincentb89

I've enquired last week with my giant lbs in Paris and they told me beginning of July the earliest for the 38/40 model