EXS Aerover Cockpit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noro

by Noro

OtterSpace wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:32 am
OtterSpace wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:58 am
I received my bars on Friday and now have around 50 miles on them so I'll only cover some first impressions not covered by others yet.

Overall I like the bars and would purchase them again so far. The inside of the bars are very clean compared to other carbon bars that I have used for extended periods (Zipp sl70 aero, Haero Carbon H.380, Darimo Ellipse).

Something not yet covered by others, as far as I can tell, and not directly spoken to in EXS marketing is that the inner face of the drops have a flat surface. I use very thin tesa tape as handlebar tape so these flat surfaces are very noticeable when riding in the drops. However, if you have thicker tape these flats are likely smoothed over to a degree. Although this feature is very noticable when riding I am not sure if I like it or not yet. The flat allows you to kind of wedge against the bar more (good) but the transistion from flat to round is fairly noticable with an abrupt chamfer (bad). Given that EXS does not advertise this flat section I am not sure why they implemented this feature it could be for more strength, easier manufacturing, better aero, easier shifter install etc. I'll report back how I like this feature after more riding time. Thankfully if I eventually don't like this flat feature there likely are simple options to fill and transistion this space while adding more comfort.

The handlebars come with plugs for the routing holes on the bar to use if you don't plan to route through those holes. However, I found that a 3/4 inch round vinyl wrap feels better as it doesn't protrude like the included plugs do and the wrap is large enough to remain adhered to the non flat surface.
Weight and stock covers:

I orderd the Ti garmin + gopro mount. No specific fixing blots were included for it so I used the shorter bolts from the normal outfront mount which are much longer than needed but can fully screw in and attach the Ti mount. The photo below shows how much extra bolt length there is for each of these screws. Edit: EXS reached out and said they have short screws for the Ti mount but they forgot to include them and will ship them out to me shortly which is great customer support.

Additionally after lightly attaching the Ti mount to the handlebar I could tell it wasn't 100% flush (basically it is very close but not perfect) and would lightly mark the carbon surface where it connected in likely a cosmetic and not structural way. Because of this I cut another vinyl wrap sticker out of 3M 2080 gloss black G12 to cover where the metal mount connects to the bars which can be seen in the photo below to help mittigate any extremely rare chance of the Ti mount causing compressive problems with the carbon bars:

Lastly for my headset spacers no 10mm or 15mm spacers were included only 5x5mm spacers, the top bearing cover for my bike, and the required 10mm transition adapter to the EXS handlebar.

All minor points but worth feeding back to the community and EXS. In comparing this handlebar to the Roval bar fit and finish, like for example the flushness of the top cap and bolt, overall I would say EXS is ahead of others in final fit and availability of spacers to fit a wide range of bikes but there are minor details they can improve as they continue to scale up with the success they likely are experiencing.
Quoting my earlier posting for reference. I have over 1000 miles on them now and thought I'd loop back to add some feedback.

Regarding the flat molding on the bar highlighted in the quote: I've come to slightly prefer the shape (picture below) and dont think about this shape much anymore and have adapted well. While I prefer the flat slightly I wouldn't seek out this shape in the future when purchasing another handlebar. Also most people won't notice it from using thicker handlebar tape.

flat.jpg

With more time on the bars I've really come to appreciate the flare for a few reasons. Initially I liked it for the wider drop position which is nice for descending. However, for that alone I wouldnt seek out a handlebar. With more time riding I've found that it is more comfortable, and clearly more aero, to move the shifters inwards to follow the flair which I consider a win/win. I don't think I'll purchase a handlebar without flare again.

Overall I still dont see a better option on the market right now that has a balanced approach yet hits broad compatibility, looks good, and is generally aligned with industry trends towards narrow, flaired, and one part (barstem). Really my only hope is that they push the market more in future products but I understand that buyers like me want something before the broader market is ready to buy in volume to recoup design cost so I generally go to whatever vendor is at the leading edge and taking those risks.

With that said I'm in the market for another handlebar. However, I'm only 50/50 if I'll go Aerover. They go down to 36cm (which I require), I like the flare, the 1 part shape, and the integration they offer many bikes, and highly recommend it compared to other similar options, so why not buy 100% buy Aerover again?

Handlebars are evolving quickly and I want narrower, more flare, and am willing to accept 2 part if needed for a few years until the volume market catches up. The market is evolving quickly, along with the UCI rules, but I feel the pull to go narrower. I've been on 38cm since 2014 and 36cm since 2020 and have always felt more comfortable and faster as I go narrower.

EXS if you are listening please make a narrower bar. Tons of people seek out the 36cm already because Specialized and others don't offer it but I understand the risk. The narrower sizes tend to sell out quicker so I feel like there already is a market for the same bar in a narrower width.

However I might roll the dice on even narrower bars with more flare for my next purchase.
I have a 36x100 EXS Aerover and I am lovin' it. I have around 2,000 Km on it. I don't notice the flat section in the drops since I use a thick bar tape. I will change the bar tape in 2-3 months for the summer and see if I notice it or not. The flare in the drops is also pretty useful for me when in crosswinds. I've never found the 36's twitchy or uncomfortable, if anything sometimes I will think they are still a little bit too wide (and I have the hoods tilted a little bit, not aggressively as a tried and caused pain in my wrists) but that is just my position. I was considering going for the Roval 38x900 but I am unsure on losing stability with a shorter stem and probably find out that 36 is better for me than 38.

The only thing I don't like are the rubber covers in the bottom part of the handlebars. They protrude and look awkward. The other thing I found weird is that the grip in the section where the hoods are clamped was very slippery at 5N.

I love this cockpit. I don't think there is anything close in terms of quality to be honest. I just got bored of the super aero/stiff looks and I would like a cockpit a little with a 'rounder stem' like the Cadex IC that will fit more the top tube shape of my SL8. But I won't invest in the Cadex so I think I will keep the EXS for the season.

gloscherrybomb

by gloscherrybomb

Mine is finally on the way and excited for it. It means I'm swapping out a Yoeleo H9 V2 380x100 only used for 10 dry days in Mallorca of anyone in the UK wants it at a good price.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xntrickly

by xntrickly

[quote=gloscherrybomb post_id=1857862 time=1710495758 user_id=75617]
Mine is finally on the way and excited for it. It means I'm swapping out a Yoeleo H9 V2 380x100 only used for 10 dry days in Mallorca of anyone in the UK wants it at a good price.
[/quote]

Mind if I ask how you ordered from EXS ? Direct email to sales has not been successful for me.

Cheers.

AM7Jeremy

by AM7Jeremy

Can anyone recommend someone to 3d print a custom cover/spacer? I have the supplied headtube dustcap for my frameset and spacer for the EXS integrated bar. However they don't marry up nicely.

Maddie

by Maddie

xntrickly wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:09 pm
gloscherrybomb wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:42 am
Mind if I ask how you ordered from EXS ? Direct email to sales has not been successful for me.

Cheers.
You need to order via their website, they only sell what they have in stock. And their stock is always very limited for the market outside of Asia. Best to check their website at least once per day.

gloscherrybomb

by gloscherrybomb

Yup just keep an eye on their website and Instagram stories and act fast.

alanyu

by alanyu

AM7Jeremy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:34 pm
Can anyone recommend someone to 3d print a custom cover/spacer? I have the supplied headtube dustcap for my frameset and spacer for the EXS integrated bar. However they don't marry up nicely.
You may check if NiuJu has it. Panda Podium could order it for you if you can't order from taobao.

https://niuju.taobao.com/search.htm?sea ... highPrice=

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

alanyu wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:10 am

1. They do have the illustration of the flattened drop shape, which is borrowed from specialized
https://exs-cycling.com/products/r180-1 ... tsId=10001

2. They do offer 36 1-piece, and 34 2-piece.
Yeah they show the flattened drop shape in their images but don't comment on it anywhere or draw any attention to it from when I checked their website after noticing it.

I have the 36 Aerover and its nice to hear about the 34 bar. However the more I think about it I'm curious enough about the super narrow bars so I'll probably give those options a try while I wait for the market to converge and UCI rules to settle (which unfortunately shapes the market).

Ideally EXS would throw their hat in the super narrow ring and release a 32 tops with 38 or 40 flare bar or barstem.

From my experience with the Aerover I would always choose EXS over anyone else if they have the product I'm looking for.
Noro wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:37 am
The only thing I don't like are the rubber covers in the bottom part of the handlebars. They protrude and look awkward.
I noticed this issue immediately and didnt even bother using the rubber covers. I covered the holes with vinyl stickers which have held up for the 1000 miles+ that I've ridden the bars. 10/10 upgrade that I would highly recommend which is lighter too (1.62g 2x stock covers vs maybe 0.2g stickers).

These stickers can be seen in the images below
1.jpg
2.jpg

alanyu

by alanyu

OtterSpace wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:53 pm
alanyu wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:10 am

1. They do have the illustration of the flattened drop shape, which is borrowed from specialized
https://exs-cycling.com/products/r180-1 ... tsId=10001

2. They do offer 36 1-piece, and 34 2-piece.
Yeah they show the flattened drop shape in their images but don't comment on it anywhere or draw any attention to it from when I checked their website after noticing it.

I have the 36 Aerover and its nice to hear about the 34 bar. However the more I think about it I'm curious enough about the super narrow bars so I'll probably give those options a try while I wait for the market to converge and UCI rules to settle (which unfortunately shapes the market).

Ideally EXS would throw their hat in the super narrow ring and release a 32 tops with 38 or 40 flare bar or barstem.
No, they won't produce 32 top > 38/40 drop for road use until Shimano makes change. I have discussed with Kirito about the flare/outsweep. The current Shimano non-gravel levers have no correction for the top angle. A large outsweep results in uncomfort angle at drops, while a large flare results in bad wrist angle at hoods. A moderate flare + moderate outsweep only gives 3~4 cm more in drop.

Edit: not quite sure about if I used correctly outsweep and flare.
Last edited by alanyu on Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

alanyu wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:10 pm
No, they won't produce 32 top > 38/40 drop for road use until Shimano makes change. I have discussed with Kirito about the flare/outsweep. The current Shimano non-gravel levers have no correction for the top angle. A large outsweep results in uncomfort angle at drops, while a large flare results in bad wrist angle at hoods. A moderate flare + moderate outsweep only gives 3~4 cm more in drop.

Edit: not quite sure about if I used correctly outsweep and flare.
Thanks for the info and I'm glad to see you guys are ahead of us thinking about this stuff.

I'll likely still play around with such a bar on my SL6 to form my own opinion and that bike uses rim shifters which have smaller hoods and less lever reach compared to hydros.

I might still opt for Aerover on the SL6 long term for vanity reasons as it looks so good compared to anything else especially whatever odd super narrow 1 part to stem I'll end up testing.

The 36 Aerover will remain on my ebike and I have no plans to ever change it until I sell the bike and swap to a 40cm trash bar to align with what the average joe still wants for some reason.

xntrickly

by xntrickly

[quote=Maddie post_id=1857913 time=1710514899 user_id=71819]
[quote=xntrickly post_id=1857905 time=1710511767 user_id=1918]
[quote=gloscherrybomb post_id=1857862 time=1710495758 user_id=75617]
[/quote]

Cheers.
[/quote]
You need to order via their website, they only sell what they have in stock. And their stock is always very limited for the market outside of Asia. Best to check their website at least once per day.
[/quote]

Thanks so much for the help. If I understood you correctly, EXS does not sell from aliexpress is that correct ? There is a store on there that is pretty convincing: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568064 ... ry_from%3A

Thanks for saving me money !!

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

xntrickly wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:50 am
Maddie wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:01 pm
xntrickly wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:09 pm
gloscherrybomb wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:42 am

Cheers.
Thanks so much for the help. If I understood you correctly, EXS does not sell from aliexpress is that correct ? There is a store on there that is pretty convincing: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568064 ... ry_from%3A

What do you mean - does "Shop1103574607 Store" and 0 reviews really seem legit to you? 👀

Aeo

by Aeo

When and how will the BLKTEC L8 be available?
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

xntrickly

by xntrickly

[quote=Eterna7m post_id=1858168 time=1710655550 user_id=97801]
[quote=xntrickly post_id=1858162 time=1710643851 user_id=1918]
[quote=Maddie post_id=1857913 time=1710514899 user_id=71819]
[quote=xntrickly post_id=1857905 time=1710511767 user_id=1918]

Cheers.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

What do you mean - does "Shop1103574607 Store" and 0 reviews really seem legit to you? 👀
[/quote]

Hello. I was trying to establish that there was a new store on AliExpress and the store looks legit but then I said "thanks for saving me money" because if EXS only sells from their site then buying from AliExpress would be a waste of money and probably a lengthy battle to get my money back. I really do need some integrated bars with a 140mm stem (hopefully -10 degree angle) but there are only a few that offer this long of a stem.

Cheers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Aeo wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:18 pm
When and how will the BLKTEC L8 be available?
Can't speak for the new L8 but I was part of a group buy for a frameset using the R8 and let's just say that Trigon's production delays (OEM of BLKTEC) set us back quite a bit

Great product but absolute nightmare to deal with because the factory will always prioritize orders from big brands