Enve Melee

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thumper88

by thumper88

crlincoln wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:04 am
thumper88 wrote:Anyone here travelled with theirs yet? looking for method to get one in a hard case.
I travelled a couple of times with mine, but using soft case and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! did you remove the bars and stem or have the case that lets you leave them on? That's the central problem for the hard case.
I'm currenlty thinking I'll try to leave as much slack in both hydraulic lines as possible, guessing can push four or five inches of extra into the frame for the rear, but the front not so much, as there's not much room in the fork.
Am hoping I can push a couple inches extra in, then get a few more inches by unbolting the front caliper and letting it rise a bit. But not sure those will be enough to pull the bar down vertically and flush with top of frame. If not, may have to try to put couplers inside stem.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Absolutely chaotic Melee build - YIKES

https://youtu.be/rSTHf6YBdzc?si=phvax5sz0l7OKXnE

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigma

by sigma

thumper88 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:41 pm
crlincoln wrote:
thumper88 wrote:Anyone here travelled with theirs yet? looking for method to get one in a hard case.

Thanks! did you remove the bars and stem or have the case that lets you leave them on? That's the central problem for the hard case.
I'm currenlty thinking I'll try to leave as much slack in both hydraulic lines as possible, guessing can push four or five inches of extra into the frame for the rear, but the front not so much, as there's not much room in the fork.
Am hoping I can push a couple inches extra in, then get a few more inches by unbolting the front caliper and letting it rise a bit. But not sure those will be enough to pull the bar down vertically and flush with top of frame. If not, may have to try to put couplers inside stem.
Bike Box Alan Aero case will allow you to leave them on. I have taken mine back and forth a few times with no issues. Just wheels and pedals off.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

crlincoln

by crlincoln

thumper88 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:41 pm
crlincoln wrote:

Used a Scicon aercomfort bag, bars left on, only lowered seat, pedals and rear deraullieur onbolted (only do the rear DR as running SRAM and it's easy and a bit of safety) ... that's it..

thumper88

by thumper88

OK, thanks all. I'm really looking for advice about getting the bars off and down far enough to pack in a standard hard box. I have pretty much the nicest one made, buxombox, it was a lot of money and it travels well. Measures out and weights just right so delta flies it free.
The bike box allan is a good one but its width at the bars causes hassles at checkin and you can get charged extra. A lot extra. As to the soft case Enve sells, I can't use a soft case per my airline and would not in any case.
So just trying to figure out any tips and tricks for removing bars with enough slack in lines to get them down on the side of frame.
running wireless shifters, so thats a start. But hydraulic lines are stiff.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

thumper88 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:14 pm
OK, thanks all. I'm really looking for advice about getting the bars off and down far enough to pack in a standard hard box. I have pretty much the nicest one made, buxombox, it was a lot of money and it travels well. Measures out and weights just right so delta flies it free.
The bike box allan is a good one but its width at the bars causes hassles at checkin and you can get charged extra. A lot extra. As to the soft case Enve sells, I can't use a soft case per my airline and would not in any case.
So just trying to figure out any tips and tricks for removing bars with enough slack in lines to get them down on the side of frame.
Maybe post your message in the travel forum. My plan if I ever travel with any of my integrated bikes is to build with the hydro lines outside of the bars and then remove the shifters from the bars when I pack the bike. Would need wireless to make this work well. It means some extra assembly, but it might allow the use of far more compact travel boxes/bags.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

sigma

by sigma

thumper88 wrote:
Agree with you 100% on the soft case being a non-starter. Have never been charged extra on the BBA either domestically on the US (Delta mostly) nor internationally US to Europe or Asia (Delta / American). I have not done pan Europe with it or pan Asia, so can't comment there. It is pain to handle when travelling from a size perspective. Always have to rent an estate or SUV.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.

boots2000

by boots2000

What happens if you detatch the calipers from the frame? Does it give enough slack to pull the stem? I have done similar things. Pro tip- Do a good job wrapping the stem and bar with bubble wrap so it does nto hit against the frame in the case.

thumper88

by thumper88

[/quote]

Agree with you 100% on the soft case being a non-starter. Have never been charged extra on the BBA either domestically on the US (Delta mostly) nor internationally US to Europe or Asia (Delta / American). I have not done pan Europe with it or pan Asia, so can't comment there. It is pain to handle when travelling from a size perspective. Always have to rent an estate or SUV.
[/quote]

Yah, for sure. As it is, even with a standard box I have to rent at least a small SUV. Some small cars will take it, even some wihtout a hatchback like the Model 3 tesla, but I feel like it's either have to know the car well or get a really trutsworthy set of measurements. mine breaks apart with upper third coming off so i guess if desperate I could take box apart and tack bike out and get the individual chunks into most vehicles. But small SUV guarantees no issues.

ilguslo

by ilguslo

morrisond wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:38 am
Does anyone know of anyone who will sell a Melee frameset at less than full price? Not looking for 30% or anything - but even 10-15% would be nice.

Who stocks them in Europe?
don't know if yuo are still looking for Melee
https://www.all4cycling.com/products/te ... lee-grigio

ciao

morrisond

by morrisond

ilguslo wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:02 pm
morrisond wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:38 am
Does anyone know of anyone who will sell a Melee frameset at less than full price? Not looking for 30% or anything - but even 10-15% would be nice.

Who stocks them in Europe?
don't know if yuo are still looking for Melee
https://www.all4cycling.com/products/te ... lee-grigio

ciao
Thanks, but my Firefly buildslot came up so I'm buidling a Firefly Melee (same tire clearance and close to the same geometry) with the new ENVE One piece in-route Bar and Fork.

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

sigma wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:23 am
thumper88 wrote:
Never had a problem flying within Europe on low cost airlines (some have a luggage allowance of 32kg for a bike box which is great as you can throw everything in there).

Surprised by your comment re: cars. My standard BBA fits perfectly in a VW Golf with the rear seats down.

sigma

by sigma

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:53 pm
sigma wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:23 am
thumper88 wrote:
Never had a problem flying within Europe on low cost airlines (some have a luggage allowance of 32kg for a bike box which is great as you can throw everything in there).

Surprised by your comment re: cars. My standard BBA fits perfectly in a VW Golf with the rear seats down.
I think the aero / tri version has slightly longer and wider dimensions - height about the same. It's a little bulkier than the original.

frostorama

by frostorama

BikeBoxAlan triathlon easyfit does fit in a VW Golf with the seats down. It is awkward to handle in and out of the car, two people required. However for ease of packing and bike protection it is hard to beat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigma

by sigma

frostorama wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:30 pm
BikeBoxAlan triathlon easyfit does fit in a VW Golf with the seats down. It is awkward to handle in and out of the car, two people required. However for ease of packing and bike protection it is hard to beat.
I have no experience with a Golf so that's good to know for when I am travelling solo. Normally with the wife / family, we will have at least one other bag so we always opt for an estate if possible.