Bottle cages

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jfranci3

by jfranci3

You folks are using carbon cages? LOL carbon saves like 7gr - and most of the saving is in removing the grippers or something from a compenent pastic cage. Carbon cages never have enough spring, so they suck as either holding bottles or being easy to pull or replace the bottle. They also don't hold bolt torque, so you either need to put a nylon washer or tape on the bike to keep them from rattling.
Elite and Tacx sell 30gr fiber-reinforeced cages for $10 in every color. Speed the $70/cage on something else.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

jfranci3 wrote:You folks are using carbon cages? LOL carbon saves like 7gr - and most of the saving is in removing the grippers or something from a compenent pastic cage. Carbon cages never have enough spring, so they suck as either holding bottles or being easy to pull or replace the bottle. They also don't hold bolt torque, so you either need to put a nylon washer or tape on the bike to keep them from rattling.
Elite and Tacx sell 30gr fiber-reinforeced cages for $10 in every color. Speed the $70/cage on something else.
There are reasonable options as many offered above weighing half of those reinforced plastic cages you mentioned, so why not. 7g off a light item is considerable.

(imagine going to slowtwitch forum to say 'LOL you guys bother about aero frames? They only save a few watts which disappears when you sit in the bunch'...)

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

BenCousins

by BenCousins

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:16 pm
You folks are using carbon cages? LOL carbon saves like 7gr
Wrong forum bro.

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

My Voxom FH12 works well for general road riding. Don't have cobbles in my area. I use Specialized bottles and Camelback bottles in my rotation. 9 grams each cage.
Image2022-03-01 10.13.34 by sevencyclist, on Flickr

jfranci3

by jfranci3

BenCousins wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:06 pm
jfranci3 wrote:
Wrong forum bro.
Wrong approach bro.

If it doesn't do the job, you need to keep tending to it, or need to add back that weight to make it work, the weight isn't worth saving. CF and Resin just doesn't have enough grip on most bottles. You can take $140 buy something else stupid that works - lightweight cell phone or something

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Arundel mandibles work every time and never lost a bottle. I use elite bottles up to 1l.
I use Sks clamps on seatpost to create two additional bottle holders when riding long hours in Spain.
Tried a few plastic things from several brands and all lost an broke bottles when fitting the bottles like in the tri setup and hitting pesky speed bumps at high pace. Mandibles never they simply hold on full bottles 😂

alanyu

by alanyu

jfranci3 wrote:
You folks are using carbon cages? LOL carbon saves like 7gr - and most of the saving is in removing the grippers or something from a compenent pastic cage. Carbon cages never have enough spring, so they suck as either holding bottles or being easy to pull or replace the bottle. They also don't hold bolt torque, so you either need to put a nylon washer or tape on the bike to keep them from rattling.
My chinese XXX copy only cost 10 usd including shipping, so the same price as Elite/Tacx you mentioned, but it saves 14 gr.

Function wise, it has proper spring, easy to take and put the bottle, and holds my bottles well on broken road or slight gravel path. Who told u carbon doesn't have enough spring? Look and Time use carbon as spring for their pedals. All depend on what kind of carbon used and the design.

It has served me over six years and still going strong. I don't need a nylon washer or tape between the cage and the frame. It doesn't rattle.

The only downside is stratching the paint of the bottle.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:10 pm
BenCousins wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:06 pm
jfranci3 wrote:
Wrong forum bro.
Wrong approach bro.

If it doesn't do the job, you need to keep tending to it, or need to add back that weight to make it work, the weight isn't worth saving. CF and Resin just doesn't have enough grip on most bottles. You can take $140 buy something else stupid that works - lightweight cell phone or something
I've been using carbon cages for decades with absolutely no issues. As have many here on the forum.

The second tier lightest cages (18g) are around $30 each.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

double post
Last edited by BenCousins on Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scottydonald

by scottydonald

I have been very happy with my Carbonworks ones and Camelback bottles. just cant use the S Works screws with them!

I did break a cage in transport with was not a fun mistake. I think i would certianly go cheaper and almost as light in the future though.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Does anyone know if arundel mandible work with 710ml camelback bottles? I heard they tight, but not sure how tight.

bluebottle81

by bluebottle81

alanyu wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:33 pm
My chinese XXX copy only cost 10 usd including shipping, so the same price as Elite/Tacx you mentioned, but it saves 14 gr.
I use these too after another similar thread on this forum. Zero issues so far, XXX is a great design and this is one case where cheap Chinese as good as name brand I reckon

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I lost a lot of bottles when i ran those, Elite Leggero or Tune for me

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

sevencyclist wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:42 pm
My Voxom FH12 works well for general road riding. Don't have cobbles in my area. I use Specialized bottles and Camelback bottles in my rotation. 9 grams each cage.
Those look cool! I like the flat sides vs the round on carbonworks. Any issues at all? Do they feel like they will stand the test of time? Good grip on the bottle?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:51 pm
sevencyclist wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:42 pm
Those look cool! I like the flat sides vs the round on carbonworks. Any issues at all? Do they feel like they will stand the test of time? Good grip on the bottle?
The Voxom FH12 have worked well for me for about 1000 miles of road riding. I don't ride gravel, but no problem at all on rough asphalts. Pretty firm grip on both Camel Back and Specialized bottles.