S Works Ares - Anyone prefer them to S Works 7 for general riding?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Like the idea of having a wider toebox to splay the toes, though otherwise I love the S Works 7. Want a white summer shoe and wouldn’t mind trying something different. Actually like the look of the Ares too in some colours. Comfort wise, how are they for long rides? I see outdoor gear lab rated them one of the best shoes they tested.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Shrike wrote:Like the idea of having a wider toebox to splay the toes, though otherwise I love the S Works 7. Want a white summer shoe and wouldn’t mind trying something different. Actually like the look of the Ares too in some colours. Comfort wise, how are they for long rides? I see outdoor gear lab rated them one of the best shoes they tested.
They turn an nice grey color like my Vents, hence I got rid of them after washing them every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

I use my Ares for outdoor rides and my SW7s for indoor, I find the Ares to be much more comfortable. That being said if you go with white getting the sock material dirty is unavoidable even if you clean after every ride.

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

I have both and there's not that much in it. I would say the Ares are slightly more comfortable on long summer rides, being a lot more breathable and the slightly bigger toe box helps if your feet swell (not smell!) in the heat. I get zero pressure spots with the Ares too, due to the more wrap around closure system.

I have the red ones for a bit of bling, and they still look new after one summer. I'm certain the white ones (which is what I originally wanted) will not have fared as well.

chris1234

by chris1234

There's been a few pictures of the next S-Works shoe floating about (and they look a little like a cross between ares and 7)... may be worth waiting a few months for them to be released.

Shrike

by Shrike

Behind the curve on cycling news, didn’t know something new was on the way. Will take a look thanks Chris, though I’m a sales shopper so would probably grab a white 7 or pure red Ares now after the feedback from the guys above about the white colour. Can’t find any shots of anyone wearing the pure red Ares though on Instagram but it’s already on sale here in the UK at £250!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Great shoe, would have no issue buying another pair even with the similar S-Works 8 looming. It's almost as light as an S-Works 7 as is.

Shrike

by Shrike

Ah found the shot you guys are talking about:

download/file.php?id=95369&mode=view

They look slicker, maybe more aero than the 7? I think I'm good going for another 7 or Ares after seeing it. The only thing that would stop me now would be a successor to the Sub 6 but without the laces (or boas). Maybe a strap like Nike's new Air Pegasus but more secure than velcro! No clue how that would be achieved.

Anyway, digress - I saw you, Tobin, and the guys on another thread just now saying toebox is narrower than the 7. I thought the Ares was supposed to be roomier at the toebox so you could splay your toes better?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Shrike wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:29 pm

Anyway, digress - I saw you, Tobin, and the guys on another thread just now saying toebox is narrower than the 7. I thought the Ares was supposed to be roomier at the toebox so you could splay your toes better?

The toebox is rounder at the very front, but slightly narrower at the widest point around the ball of your foot. Effectively it's better for narrower feet, but still allows your toes to splay.

Shrike

by Shrike

Gotcha, that makes sense now. Ares sound good for me and keen to try something new. Just ordered the flo red/maroon pair, think they look great but if they don’t suit anything I’ll return for white 7s. Seems semi sensible. Have a pair of orange Factor Techlaces and they never looked right with anything, kinda put me off colourful shoes for a while. Will see, thanks!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Shrike wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:54 pm
Gotcha, that makes sense now. Ares sound good for me and keen to try something new. Just ordered the flo red/maroon pair, think they look great but if they don’t suit anything I’ll return for white 7s. Seems semi sensible. Have a pair of orange Factor Techlaces and they never looked right with anything, kinda put me off colourful shoes for a while. Will see, thanks!

Yeah I really don't like shoes with the shiny PVC look, which includes the Factor Techlace and a lot of Sidis.

bas

by bas

The Ares didn’t work for me, I had a pressure point at the top of my foot from the top boa. Exactly what you are not supposed to get…never had this problem with the SW6/7

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bas wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:24 am
The Ares didn’t work for me, I had a pressure point at the top of my foot from the top boa. Exactly what you are not supposed to get…never had this problem with the SW6/7

I get that pressure point when I try on shoes that are too large.

Shrike

by Shrike

Couple questions guys now that I have both white and fluo red here.

My heel isn’t as locked in compared to the 7. Kicking the heel down and tightening well just leads to a pressure point. Normal with this shoe and isn’t an issue when riding? Haven’t fitted cleats to them yet which leads me to next question..

All the bolts I’ve got sitting around to attach Speedplay’s baseplate to the shoes seem to be around 0.5mm or so too large! Guessing I’m just really unlucky and have none of the right ones left. You guys know which 6 bolts I need? One’s in my other shoes are black with a flat head.

Will probably keep the red and return the pure white as the white are maybe a little too clean and feminine looking on me, and exchange for a smaller size for the Mrs.

Surprised how light these feel, didn’t check the weight before buying. Also think they look and feel class though a bit narrower and maybe this heel issue could develop. Size 45 white pair also tighter feeling than the red so maybe these stretch in the liner and the red has been tried on a fair bit at shop?

@ Tobin, yep, loathe glossy looking shoes. Totally gone off Giros.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Weber

by Weber

Anyone can tell me if they size like shimano sphyre?