Are these the lightest disc brake hubs? Tactic TR01 (aka Princeton Carbon)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Buexx

by Buexx

DogmaHiFi wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:18 pm
i havent heard anything bad for these hubs, I am actually waiting for the delivery of my PCW Wake 6560 Evolution with Tactic TR01.
Considering their price i would go for the toolkit for sure
Would be interested to hear your thoughts on that wheelset once you got it as I am about to order one myself.

I asked so vague about replacing the freehub as I get a wheelset for aerodynamic tests with those hubs and its got a SRAM 12s cassette installed. My bike is Shimano 11s tho. So it might work in a few gears for testing, but ideally I'd just replace the freehub and not risk damaging anything.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DogmaHiFi

by DogmaHiFi

@ Mike do you have a personal experience on Tactic hubs ?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

never used tactic hubs. though enticing for weight, i think there is a limit to how good hubs can be and still be light. the gold standard for weight and longevity in my experience are tune hubs.

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

Almost 4500 km on mine so far. No problems whatsoever. No winter riding. They look and feel fantastic. There's nothing like it, of course not everyone likes the looks.

Strada version, would have like even wider inner width to be fair.

Freehub sound is nothing special to me. Reasonably loud but not a lot more than my DT hubs and certainly a lot quieter than those in my Cadex Ultra 50.

IMG_0635.jpeg

polpy

by polpy

the OG Tactic hubs from nonplus seem to be available in the near future.
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... f-SRAM-XDR

EDIT: link was posted on page 3 already and the hubs were already sold but have been pulled from market.

MrAppleSeeds

by MrAppleSeeds

Which wheels do you like better? The PCWs or Cadex?
jdecraene85 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:47 pm

Freehub sound is nothing special to me. Reasonably loud but not a lot more than my DT hubs and certainly a lot quieter than those in my Cadex Ultra 50.

IMG_0635.jpeg

DogmaHiFi

by DogmaHiFi

Buexx wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:29 am
DogmaHiFi wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:18 pm
i havent heard anything bad for these hubs, I am actually waiting for the delivery of my PCW Wake 6560 Evolution with Tactic TR01.
Considering their price i would go for the toolkit for sure
Would be interested to hear your thoughts on that wheelset once you got it as I am about to order one myself.

I asked so vague about replacing the freehub as I get a wheelset for aerodynamic tests with those hubs and its got a SRAM 12s cassette installed. My bike is Shimano 11s tho. So it might work in a few gears for testing, but ideally I'd just replace the freehub and not risk damaging anything.
Hi Buexx, I received my new PCW 6560 Evolution wheels, to replace the original Zipps 303 Firecrest. I installed the same disk brakes, cassette and tyres. in comparison Zipps are 80 grams heavier. I am on 600 km distance with them. I am faster in all kind of segments ascents, flats and descents. Especially in flats and descents, the speed is way higher. The sound of the hub is not that loud on the road. The worst wind conditions encountered were force 5 (around 25-30 km/h) and didn’t feel uncomfortable. The quality of the wheels and Tactic hubs is overwhelming and they look great
IMG_9259.jpeg
IMG_9377.jpeg

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

MrAppleSeeds wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:13 pm
jdecraene85 wrote:

IMG_0635.jpeg
It's hard to compare, totally different. If you want to ride relaxed, you may find the Cadex hub TOO loud. If you want high intensity, you may appreciate it as some kind of mental boost lol. I like both. You won't need a bicycle bell with the Cadex!

If you want to get a good idea of the kind of noise of the Cadex hub, check Ben Delaney's review on them at 6:20. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMtvAI7 ... BenDelaney
The Tactic hubs sound very different to me. First there's a small silent delay and then a high-pitched 'whizzing' rather than the Cadex 'rattling'.

The Cadex accelerate better, maybe because of the weight and the carbon spokes? But I feel like the carbon spokes are also the reason for the high crosswind susceptibility, actually more than the PCW. I cannot determine how much more aero the PCW Wake 6560 is. Overall, I feel like I prefer the Cadex for now, but the fact that I do almost exclusively rides with a lot of elevation is a factor in this.

Both look great. Same bike with the Cadex wheels:
IMG_0931.jpg

Buexx

by Buexx

DogmaHiFi wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:03 am
Hi Buexx, I received my new PCW 6560 Evolution wheels, to replace the original Zipps 303 Firecrest. I installed the same disk brakes, cassette and tyres. in comparison Zipps are 80 grams heavier. I am on 600 km distance with them. I am faster in all kind of segments ascents, flats and descents. Especially in flats and descents, the speed is way higher. The sound of the hub is not that loud on the road. The worst wind conditions encountered were force 5 (around 25-30 km/h) and didn’t feel uncomfortable. The quality of the wheels and Tactic hubs is overwhelming and they look great
Thanks for the update! Those wheels on that bike look awesome.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

mike wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:12 am
never used tactic hubs. though enticing for weight, i think there is a limit to how good hubs can be and still be light. the gold standard for weight and longevity in my experience are tune hubs.
Im running my tactic hubs now for 8k km and no wear or issue. And on another bike they are 3k km far.
But any hub will fail sooner later if you treat them like shit (hosing water on them, no maintenance, ...).
If you buy hubs like these and spend that amount of money you need to take care a bit more then regular. Its part of the deal plain and simple...
If you want bomb proof stuff you shouldnt look at anyhting lightweight in the first place. And Tune is not regarded here in shops as reliable too (for reference) but likely for the same wrong reason (customers doing stupid things like hosing the wheels or cranks etc with pressure). They should buy other hubs with more sealing and half a kg of grease to prevent water ingress as much of possible.
Its the same as putting 90kg+ guys on lightweight wheels and frames and expecting that to hold up like it does for a 60kg rider.

Oh and before I forget my Dt180 hubs which are also not advised mostly for the general public as being more susceptible to issues compared to say dt350 are holding up just fine on my Canyon for already 46k km.

MrAppleSeeds

by MrAppleSeeds

jdecraene85 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:37 am
MrAppleSeeds wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:13 pm
jdecraene85 wrote:

IMG_0635.jpeg
It's hard to compare, totally different. If you want to ride relaxed, you may find the Cadex hub TOO loud. If you want high intensity, you may appreciate it as some kind of mental boost lol. I like both. You won't need a bicycle bell with the Cadex!

If you want to get a good idea of the kind of noise of the Cadex hub, check Ben Delaney's review on them at 6:20. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMtvAI7 ... BenDelaney
The Tactic hubs sound very different to me. First there's a small silent delay and then a high-pitched 'whizzing' rather than the Cadex 'rattling'.

The Cadex accelerate better, maybe because of the weight and the carbon spokes? But I feel like the carbon spokes are also the reason for the high crosswind susceptibility, actually more than the PCW. I cannot determine how much more aero the PCW Wake 6560 is. Overall, I feel like I prefer the Cadex for now, but the fact that I do almost exclusively rides with a lot of elevation is a factor in this.

Both look great. Same bike with the Cadex wheels:
IMG_0931.jpg
Thank you for the write up, I would like to upgrade wheels and I'm trying to decide between the Cadex and the 6560 Evos. The Evos seem very promising and PCW is claiming a significant improvement over the Stradas but I find the Cadex and Evos are falling behind in terms of optimized tyre width. I would love to see wider rims for both and the PCWs deserve to have carbon spokes!

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

MrAppleSeeds wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:18 am
Thank you for the write up, I would like to upgrade wheels and I'm trying to decide between the Cadex and the 6560 Evos. The Evos seem very promising and PCW is claiming a significant improvement over the Stradas but I find the Cadex and Evos are falling behind in terms of optimized tyre width. I would love to see wider rims for both and the PCWs deserve to have carbon spokes!
I agree about
- the Strada rim widths being on the narrow side in 2024
- the looks ands the price of the PCW making them 'deserving' of carbon spokes

I find the rim width of Cadex 50 Ultra perfect though: 22.4 internal - 30 external

I'm not fond of the updated look of the Wake EVO...

Maybe have a look at the new Scope Artech?