Seka Exceed RDC

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dsveddy

by dsveddy

peripher wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:11 pm
how‘s the mechanical shifting through the bars and headset?
Surprisingly it's really good. I thought it was going to be a disaster but it turns out the latest-gen mechanical shifting gruppos are really excellent and can handle the bends as long as you do a good job routing.

peripher

by peripher

dsveddy wrote:
peripher wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:11 pm
how‘s the mechanical shifting through the bars and headset?
Surprisingly it's really good. I thought it was going to be a disaster but it turns out the latest-gen mechanical shifting gruppos are really excellent and can handle the bends as long as you do a good job routing.
interesting, thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

captaininch

by captaininch

Hi there,
I have received my Seka Exceed RDC two weeks ago. Order was made through Florian bikes, Seka's dealer in the Netherlands.

Overall I am very happy with it. The frame seems well made and engineered and the paintjob is fantastic. I have riden it over 400km now and very pleased with the ride feel, quite nervous and responsive as expected.

Build :
Seka Exceed RDC Lightspeed (size L)
Farsports carbon 50mm deep 30mm wide wheelset, carbon spokes & RD270 hub
28mm GP5000 with TPU tubes
Ultegra R8100 groupset (52-36 x 11-34)
Praxis works Zayante with Sigeyi AXO powermeter and shimano ultegra chainrings
Shimano ultegra pedals
Aroung 7.5kg including pedals, Garmin mount and bottle cages.

lemeneid

by lemeneid

Anyone tried fitting wider tyres on their Exceed? I know the official tire clearance is 30mm but just want to see how much more it can go as I'm trying to get more comfort on the bike.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

captaininch wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:32 am
Hi there,
I have received my Seka Exceed RDC two weeks ago. Order was made through Florian bikes, Seka's dealer in the Netherlands.

Overall I am very happy with it. The frame seems well made and engineered and the paintjob is fantastic. I have riden it over 400km now and very pleased with the ride feel, quite nervous and responsive as expected.

Build :
Seka Exceed RDC Lightspeed (size L)
Farsports carbon 50mm deep 30mm wide wheelset, carbon spokes & RD270 hub
28mm GP5000 with TPU tubes
Ultegra R8100 groupset (52-36 x 11-34)
Praxis works Zayante with Sigeyi AXO powermeter and shimano ultegra chainrings
Shimano ultegra pedals
Aroung 7.5kg including pedals, Garmin mount and bottle cages.

Really dig that paint job.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

lemeneid wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:34 am
Anyone tried fitting wider tyres on their Exceed? I know the official tire clearance is 30mm but just want to see how much more it can go as I'm trying to get more comfort on the bike.
32-33mm WAM tyres fit, but at the chainstays area, there's around 2mm clearance left only on each side.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Bielas

by Bielas

Safety norms say there needs to be at least 4mm clearance between tire and frame or fork. So that means real max tire clearance is about 28-29mm
:mrgreen:

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

What does this frameset cost these days? And how do you order from the US?

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

Question for those of you who own or who have built up one of these framesets.

I just purchased one for my wife and when I went to begin the build I was shocked to see that there is virtually zero interference when inserting the seatpost into the seat tube. In fact, there is actually a fair amount of play until you begin to torque the grub bolt to engage the wedge with the seatpost. I am also surprised with the large gaps that exists between the seatpost at the top of seat tube at its insertion point.

Is this common with these frames and seatposts?

I have built up dozens of bikes over the past few decades and I can't remember ever seeing a seatpost/seat tube interface like this one.
IMG_4655.jpg
IMG_4655.jpg (37.17 KiB) Viewed 501 times

Rudi

by Rudi

Yes, it does seem to be fairly common - if you look back over this thread it is mentioned a few times with workarounds including adding various tapes aroungd the post to using clearcoat to thicken the post. I've tried both and the later seems to be working better so far (fingers crossed).
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

dsveddy

by dsveddy

I’m one of the posters who discussed this earlier in the thread. Had this issue on my frame. Currently running 2 layers of 3M clear protection film (i.e. helicopter tape) around the back half of the post+carbon assembly paste.

It’s important you nip this problem in the bud because without intervention the seat will creak and wag like crazy, and at worst can slip down into the seat tube and damage the cutout area. Also make sure you trim the seat post to prevent this issue.

Issues with sloppy tolerance are generally fairly common in integrated-binder aero-seatposts. I think the frequency and severity of this problem in Sekas is the one quality issue I fault Seka for. Most companies use a chunky wedge that wraps around to take up a lot of slack. Seka, in an effort to save weight, used a tiny one.

The slop in your frame looks particularly bad to my eyes. I might send an email to Seka and ask if they think this is a normal amount.

Rudi

by Rudi

I'd echo dsveddy - that looks worse than mine did.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

@Rudi and @dsveddy, I appreciate your quick replies to my post. Thank you.

I have been following this thread for a long time but only recalled seeing a few reports about the seatpost issue. To my eyes, the frameset does appear to be of high quality everywhere else, so it's surprising to me that Seka has let this issue pass without correcting it.

I am going to contact them regarding my frame. I will share their response here once I hear from them.

ms6073

by ms6073

GONE4ARIDE wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:41 pm

I just purchased one for my wife and when I went to begin the build I was shocked to see that there is virtually zero interference when inserting the seatpost into the seat tube. In fact, there is actually a fair amount of play until you begin to torque the grub bolt to engage the wedge with the seatpost. I am also surprised with the large gaps that exists between the seatpost at the top of seat tube at its insertion point.

I have built up dozens of bikes over the past few decades and I can't remember ever seeing a seatpost/seat tube interface like this one. IMG_4655.jpg
Sorry but either the seattube or the seat post is completely out of spec/tolerance and needs to be replaced before going any further.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

GONE4ARIDE wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:41 pm

I have built up dozens of bikes over the past few decades and I can't remember ever seeing a seatpost/seat tube interface like this one. IMG_4655.jpg
That is almost comically bad. It shouldn't happen, but in the bike industry this seems to be trade-off when you get involved with lower tier brands. A new frame and/or seatpost may or may not solve the problem. Hopefully the the company will replace everything with parts that fit properly. If not, I would build up the post gradually with multiple layers of high quality clear coat. With careful application and sanding where necessary, it should be possible to produce a precise fit. I would not use tape as I fear it would be too soft in the long run.
dsveddy wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:34 pm
Issues with sloppy tolerance are generally fairly common in integrated-binder aero-seatposts.
Depends on the brand. I've had no tolerance issues with 5 different bikes with integrated binders. Though the very nature of the design does create a greater risk of problems than with a tradition collar clamp. Sadly, lesser brands have managed to mess this up as well. Regardless, it is a problem that should never be accepted.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com