Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

naavt

by naavt

njleach wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:14 pm
I bought a set of Powrlink pedals shortly after they were announced. Developed the lateral play issue about 8 months later. Received a replacement set under warranty and sold them. Have now moved to a spindle-based PM
I've had to buy the PowrLinks since my P2Max Campy spider rubbed my 795RS frame. Shame for me because I had to let one of my favourite and so beautiful PM cranks go :(

I'm running my PowrLinks also shortly after they were announced. It seems that - for now at least - I'm one of the luckiest ones. No issues.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Can someone show me a video of the issue? I did try and look but couldn't find anything

Basso Diamante rim Campagnolo EPS 12 Bora WTO 60's

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

https://youtube.com/shorts/XTVOlE_LweU?feature=shared

I can't upload my videos sadly but this you tube video shows a defective one.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Exactly what I wanted to see thanks

Basso Diamante rim Campagnolo EPS 12 Bora WTO 60's

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

JayOJonson

by JayOJonson

received my warranty replacements, slightly different product id code on box.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Power or non power pedals?

JayOJonson

by JayOJonson

wahoo power meter pedals.

Erwin

by Erwin

I think this problem is not really fixed yet?

Someone have used aftermarkt TI spindles?

RDY

by RDY

Erwin wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:13 pm
I think this problem is not really fixed yet?

Someone have used aftermarkt TI spindles?
It's absolutely not fixed. DCR asked about everything except this issue in his recent interview of the Wahoo CEO - I assume the question wasn't approved or he knew it wouldn't be. Either way it was telling. AFAIK Wahoo still insist it was one bad early batch ... despite it being constant right up to the present. At this point I think there are almost no non-sponsored riders left on Speedplays in the pro ranks, which is a big reversal from pre-revision.

Erwin

by Erwin

Thank you. Really a shame! It is a design flaw which can't be easily fixed.
I like the look of the Wahoo Speedplays, but luckily I have saved some original Speedplays and spare parts. Also I am still using 2 pairs of Speedplay Pave which Wahoo ditched completely. With their financial problems I don't think they will be updated soon. I don't like Wahoo! :-(

njleach

by njleach

Erwin wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:37 pm
You say that, but the issue is affecting both PM and non-PM pedals and, prior to the acquisition, there was no issue with speedplay pedals. Their design was solid and they were fairly light and reliable. I still own a pair of nanogram's that are still going strong about 7 years later.

So when Wahoo bought speedplay, I don't know why they changed the basic design/build of the pedals - particularly the nanograms. It was a proven design that needed zero - zero - modification. But they somehow re-engineered the design and ended up with a worse product. WTF?

Do the aftermarket TI spindle kits fix the lateral play issue in the non-PM pedals?

scico

by scico

njleach wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:12 am
Erwin wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:37 pm
You say that, but the issue is affecting both PM and non-PM pedals and, prior to the acquisition, there was no issue with speedplay pedals. Their design was solid and they were fairly light and reliable. I still own a pair of nanogram's that are still going strong about 7 years later.

So when Wahoo bought speedplay, I don't know why they changed the basic design/build of the pedals - particularly the nanograms. It was a proven design that needed zero - zero - modification. But they somehow re-engineered the design and ended up with a worse product. WTF?

Do the aftermarket TI spindle kits fix the lateral play issue in the non-PM pedals?
No, aftermarket spindles doesn't fix the problem. Probably that bad design problem isn't in the spindle

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

njleach wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:12 am

It was a proven design that needed zero - zero - modification.
I don't think there are engineers purposely design something that will be worst. I also think it's flawed thinking to believe that. Yes, there are engineers that are idiots, but what industry does not have those people?

I have the original Speedplay pedals and their bodies wore out quickly. That needed a redesign and with the new pedals, I think that was an improvement to that problem. There are plenty of issues with the older pedal that could be redesigned to make them better.

Do I believe this newly designed pedal is better? No, which is why I am waiting for others to say the problems are fixed before I spend $1000 for a set.

I am no engineer and I find it facinating that such a simple machine can't be made reliable or can't be fixed quickly [whatever they may have done wrong]. I really hope they get some type of answer. Of course, Wahoo must believe there is a problem before they can fix it. As long as they do not believe there is a problem, there's really is no reason to fix something that is not broken. I do not know what their warranty fix rate is and I don't think anyone here does either. If it is under .5%, it's hard to believe a fix is on the fast track. I bet Wahoo has bigger fish to fry too.

Bondurant

by Bondurant

Erwin wrote:Thank you. Really a shame! It is a design flaw which can't be easily fixed.
I like the look of the Wahoo Speedplays, but luckily I have saved some original Speedplays and spare parts. Also I am still using 2 pairs of Speedplay Pave which Wahoo ditched completely. With their financial problems I don't think they will be updated soon. I don't like Wahoo! :-(
Same here on the Paves except I have three sets

Great pedals

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

The issue is so widespread it must have showed up in testing before they launched (2 years ago or more)? And surely an engineer either at Wahoo or more likely the manufacturer has designed and tested a fix. Presumably it's cheaper for them to continue on like this though ... until the reputation gets so bad they can't sell them anymore. And that might be a way off - the Wahoo branding likely introduced many new people to the pedals, most of whom aren't aware of the issue or don't ride enough to manifest it.