Lake shoes wide feet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

idickers

by idickers

Not that I noticed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

matteof93

by matteof93

I have been using the CX238 for a couple of years, size 43.5...but I do not really feel like they are the perfect shoes for my feet.
I chose the size 43.5 because the 43, despite being long enough, did not have enough toe box since I have high arch and hammer toes. I use G8 insoles with L5/R5 arch support inserts and I even added the L4/R4 inserts (below the L5/R5) to get more stiffness under the arch of my feet.
Inside the right shoe I also use a 1.5° shim to help my foot stay in its natural position (supination).

Is there any Lake (or non Lake) shoe that has a tighter/narrower fit in the heel area (which is where the CX238 is too wide for me, also given that I should use a 43 and not a 43.5) but still a decent space for the toes? Do you think that the CX241 in size 43 might be a good solution? Unfortunately I have no shop near by where I live that sells Lake shoes.

macwatt

by macwatt

CX332 is a narrower shoe than CX238

This store does a great online shoe fitting or via the store which is refundable with a purchase of any shoes.

You measure your feet as per their guide and they will recommend the best shoes for your feet measurements

https://www.bicyclerichmond.co.uk/shoe-fitting

I've used for my wife and myself she was recommended Lake CX238 wide and I was recommended CX332 and they both fit perfectly 👍.

X5SAE

by X5SAE

matteof93 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:27 pm
I have been using the CX238 for a couple of years, size 43.5...but I do not really feel like they are the perfect shoes for my feet.
I chose the size 43.5 because the 43, despite being long enough, did not have enough toe box since I have high arch and hammer toes. I use G8 insoles with L5/R5 arch support inserts and I even added the L4/R4 inserts (below the L5/R5) to get more stiffness under the arch of my feet.
Inside the right shoe I also use a 1.5° shim to help my foot stay in its natural position (supination).

Is there any Lake (or non Lake) shoe that has a tighter/narrower fit in the heel area (which is where the CX238 is too wide for me, also given that I should use a 43 and not a 43.5) but still a decent space for the toes? Do you think that the CX241 in size 43 might be a good solution? Unfortunately I have no shop near by where I live that sells Lake shoes.
I habe been using the CX241-X for more than a year now. It's got the same last as the CX238-X so I'd guess the toebox should be the same dimension.

The shoe is not perfect, but seems to fit me well enough. I could use a bit more square toebox.

The successor to the 241 is the 242. That one vould be what you are looking for. A wider toebox than the 238/241 and probably some further optimization. And bonus is: you can heat-mold the shoe's carbon heal part to fit your heal.
Road
Cube Agree C:62 SLT 2021 (frame+fork) DA 9270 6.9x kg - ride-ready 7.25 kg w/pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo mount

Gravel
Velobuild GF-002 Force AXS 7.5 kg, ride-ready 7.775 kg w/200 ml Stan‘s, pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo/Cateye mounts

idickers

by idickers

I noticed that on the 242 the toe box is noticeably wider in 1x wide size compared to the standard width (which is already a wide).

hartox

by hartox

matteof93 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:27 pm

I would try the CX332 wide or extra wide. In my experience they run smaller than the CX241 (the 332's I have are one size bigger than my 241's).

RDY

by RDY

How is the CX332 vs the CX302. Forefoot of a CX302 extra wide fits me, but the heel is a bit loose, and the ankle area and around it on the upper foot are also pretty loose. Would a CX332 extra wide be lower volume in those areas?

RDY

by RDY

RDY wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:00 pm
How is the CX332 vs the CX302. Forefoot of a CX302 extra wide fits me, but the heel is a bit loose, and the ankle area and around it on the upper foot are also pretty loose. Would a CX332 extra wide be lower volume in those areas?
Anyone?

RDY

by RDY

Tried the MX242 as I wasn't getting on with the MX238 - upper didn't wrap my foot enough and also felt like it had really poor sole stiffness, though I thought possibly I was imagining the latter. MX242 upper is really comfortable ... but the sole seems to be even flexier - or feels like it - than the MX238. Can feel it flexing and twisting everywhere and terrible hotspots. I think these two shoes are the least stiff carbon soled shoes I've tried by a very long way. Shimano plastic soled shoes are usually stiffer.

idickers

by idickers

RDY wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:25 pm
Tried the MX242 as I wasn't getting on with the MX238 - upper didn't wrap my foot enough and also felt like it had really poor sole stiffness, though I thought possibly I was imagining the latter. MX242 upper is really comfortable ... but the sole seems to be even flexier - or feels like it - than the MX238. Can feel it flexing and twisting everywhere and terrible hotspots. I think these two shoes are the least stiff carbon soled shoes I've tried by a very long way. Shimano plastic soled shoes are usually stiffer.
That's interesting. I've found just the opposite; the MX242 has a good stiff sole for me. I can get it to twist a bit by hand if I really try, but I never notice it while pedaling.

RDY

by RDY

idickers wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:33 pm
RDY wrote:
That's interesting. I've found just the opposite; the MX242 has a good stiff sole for me. I can get it to twist a bit by hand if I really try, but I never notice it while pedaling.
I'm getting the feeling that the largest sizes in a lot of shoes lack adequate stiffness (Shimano being a notable exception). What size are you? I'm in 50s ..

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I've finally got to setup and use my CX238-X that I got after the feedback and info from this thread.

BLOODY MARVELLOUS. :beerchug:

If anything, they are a tad wide across the front of the foot, but think that more being used to narrower shoes than proper fitting.

Still trying to work out whether to splurge on the MX version, as the prices are quite high.

Best deal is through Bob Leisure Australia, and when the wind blows in the right direction (the pricing varies quite a bit)

Including shipping, the prices in A$ are
MX242-X - $458
MX238-X - $420
MX219-X - $327

From Lake direct they are between $70 more for the MX219 (but no stock in my size) to an extra $130-$150 for the 238 & 242.

Options at Bob Leisure are very limited, but seems to have a good range in the models available

idickers

by idickers

RDY wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:33 pm
idickers wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:33 pm
RDY wrote:
I'm getting the feeling that the largest sizes in a lot of shoes lack adequate stiffness (Shimano being a notable exception). What size are you? I'm in 50s ..
You could be right about the larger sizes being more flexible. I'm a 45 wide in the MX242.

by 208

Just wanted to be the 208th reply. But I'm using cx218 with custom footbeds and love them.

feynman

by feynman

If you can shop the outlet section outside the US, there are some excellent deals to be had. I'm a big fan of the MX238, currently available in a couple of variants for $199. The MX238 is my first cycling shoe where I realized cycling doesn't have to involve foot discomfort. Naturally, our feet and experiences vary.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com