Chinese ultralight handlebar passed SGS quality certification

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Upcountry

by Upcountry

Got the EXS R175's installed. With the more direct routing path, I had ordered a couple new Di2 wires to minimize their lengths(still on 11 speed Di2). Really enjoy this routing setup and layout. Truly, these seem like the ideal bars for bikes without internal stem/headset routing. These are without a doubt much stiffer than the Avian Canary, with only the slightest bit of deflection when really pushing down on the drops, and non of the torque twist experienced on the Avian.

ImageImage

jch3n

by jch3n

Upcountry wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:30 pm
Got the EXS R175's installed. With the more direct routing path, I had ordered a couple new Di2 wires to minimize their lengths(still on 11 speed Di2). Really enjoy this routing setup and layout.
Care to describe how you did the routing? I haven't done mine yet, but in my mind, it would be Junction B (in BB) to right shifter, right shifter to left shifter (through the channels and center of the bar), and then left shifter back through the bar to the bar end junction.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Upcountry

by Upcountry

@jch3n You nailed it. Thats different than I typically have done it, but with the only openings on the bar being the two towards the center, it made more sense. In the past I've usually ran both shifters to the Bar End Junction, but that was largely due to the opening locations for routing.
For reference on my 36cm size bars, lengths used were a 1000mm from Right Shifter to Junction in the Bottom Bracket, 500mm from Left Shifter to Right Shifter, then a 750mm from Left Shifter to Bar End Junction.

jch3n

by jch3n

Yeah, most other bars I've dealt with have had more holes. I was a bit miffed about having to buy yet another Di2 wire, but oh well. Thanks for confirming.

aandresgm

by aandresgm

Upcountry wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:30 pm
Got the EXS R175's installed. With the more direct routing path, I had ordered a couple new Di2 wires to minimize their lengths(still on 11 speed Di2). Really enjoy this routing setup and layout. Truly, these seem like the ideal bars for bikes without internal stem/headset routing. These are without a doubt much stiffer than the Avian Canary, with only the slightest bit of deflection when really pushing down on the drops, and non of the torque twist experienced on the Avian.

ImageImage
Been eyeing these bars for my 2021 TCR. I'm planing on routing through that external channel the bars have, but I'm unsure if the cable salad from my mechanical Ultegra groupset will fit nicely in there. What do you reckon? Is the channel deep/wide enough to accomodate a shifter cable + brake hose, without causing too much bulk?

Upcountry

by Upcountry

The groove is plenty wide to accomodate a brake hose and shifter cable housing...

bedampft

by bedampft

Avian Falcon II
in 380/110mm

Weights:
Falcon II - 280g
Topcap - 8g
Propel Cover and Shim - 10g
Computer mount - 28g
(Panda Podium Socks - 52g)

Lead time was 4 weeks+, but arrived after only 2 weeks. Very pleased with everything.

polpy

by polpy

bedampft wrote:Avian Falcon II
in 380/110mm

Weights:
Falcon II - 280g
Topcap - 8g
Computer mount - 28g
(Panda Podium Socks - 52g)

Lead time was 4 weeks+, but arrived after only 2 weeks. Very pleased with everything.
Nice, i ordered mine on the 7th of march and still have to wait for shipping.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Whipit

by Whipit

bedampft wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:55 pm
Avian Falcon II
in 380/110mm

Looks good! I also just ordered a set.

Any chance you could post some photos and measurements of cover and shim?

Also- is the mount for wahoo and garmin do you know?

Thanks!

DMC44

by DMC44

Just Installed Avian Falcon on my Allez sprint. Highly Recommend! 38 x 120.
Attachments
IMG_1983.jpg

Master-Ti

by Master-Ti

Hopefully you've now had a chance to put a few miles on your bike since installing these handlebars. Any further reports or comments about the Avian Falcon?

As an alternative, does anyone have any experience to share about a potential competitor, the Lexon Vero? It's weight is not bad, advertsied as 315 +/- 10 g, and significantly less costly than the Avian Falcons.

jff

by jff

Master-Ti wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:33 am
As an alternative, does anyone have any experience to share about a potential competitor, the Lexon Vero? It's weight is not bad, advertsied as 315 +/- 10 g, and significantly less costly than the Avian Falcons.
Not that I can compare to Avian handlebars, but I bougth the Lexon Vero. It came in at 320grams (110mm/400mm). I only used it shortly and it felt good. As stiff or stiffer than the combo Zipp service course SL stem with 3T ergonova handlebar. In the end I will swap it back, but only for geometry reasons. The angle of Lexon Vero is closer to -12deg rather than -6deg so I needed to put too much spacers to be aestethically pleasant.

DMC44

by DMC44

Avian falcon feels softer than my previous setup of sworks aerofly bars and SL7 stem. But only a little, not too soft so I prefer it. Overall very happy with it spacers provided for my Allez sprint all worked perfect.

saynomore

by saynomore

Are there any similar alternatives to the R175 handlebar? Something with an aero profile and very minimal flare (~2 cm). I really like the R175 design, but there's no way of knowing when it will be available next.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Whipit

by Whipit

I've been waiting for a falcon II in my size

Today they offered me the canary that had just come into stock instead. I went back saying I was concerned about the stiffness.

Interestingly they said they have recently changed to T1100 and added a little weight to improve stiffness.

I decided to give it a try as it's holding up the rest of my build at the moment. Will be interesting how it turns out