Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

exige

by exige

skinnybex wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:35 am

The stock bar on the Cal 5 allows you to rotate the bars under the toptube without issue. I've put my Caledonia 5 in the Scicon Aerotech Evo hard case witout issues.
Thanks, that is good to know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrB123

by MrB123

Apologies if this is dealt with anywhere else in the thread, but wondering if anyone is using mudguards with one of these.

What kind work the best to allow max tyre clearance? Wondering if 37mm PDWs would fit.

Am I right in thinking the rear stays attach to the thru axle? If so, is that a real nuisance every time you have to remove the rear wheel?

tommyb

by tommyb

Yep, these are from Wiggle - Lifeline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exige

by exige

My new black beauty 8)

Ultegra 8100 50-34 11-30
Reserve 40|44 wheels
Conti GP 5000 28c tyres with TPU tubes
Speedplays with J&L Ti axles
Selle Italia SLR Carbonio saddle
Standard Cervelo stem, bars and seatpost, except for J&L yolks for the saddle clamp
7.67 kg with cages and garmin mount, which I'm pretty happy with, especially considering its a size 58. Suggestions for further weight loss without spending a fortune welcome :D

Still tweaking my postition and will probably lower the stem a bit more. It is fantastic to ride - lively, responsive but with a wonderfully compliant ride.
Last edited by exige on Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

exige

by exige

alle44

by alle44

Sorry if that has already been answered but has the Caledonia 5 been updated in 2023 and if yes, what are differences to the original?

exige

by exige

alle44 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:48 pm
Sorry if that has already been answered but has the Caledonia 5 been updated in 2023 and if yes, what are differences to the original?
Having geeked out on every last detail of the Caledonia 5 before I bought mine I think I can answer this :) Not much changed for the 2023 bikes. Some new colours, including the metallic black/'Embers' and 'Glacier'. The latter looks white in the photos and I nearly ordered one on that basis, but in person it is a strange greenish light grey which I really didn't like. Other than that there were some minor changes in components for the standard builds (e.g. tyres are different and they now use lighter aero thru axles rather than 'indexed' axles) . The Cervelo website still lists both the 2022 and 23 builds https://www.cervelo.com/en-GB/bikes/caledonia-5 (e.g. the Ultegra build in Oasis and Five Black is 2022, 2023 is in Embers and Glacier). The more significant changes were for the 2022 bikes, when all except the Rival build got the new Reserve 40/44 wheels, as well as significantly lighter seatpost, bars and stem. They also ditched the glued in steerer tube plug for a more conventional and much more convenient expander plug. I believe the frameset hasn't changed at all since the bike was introduced in 2021. Hope that helps, anything else just ask.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

To add another opinion: I absolutely love the Glacier color and was pleasantly surprised that it didn't turn out to be a clear white. It's difficult to tell from the pictures, but there's a very subtle light gray / very, very pale green gleam to it. Beautiful.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

KickingWing41

by KickingWing41

Has anyone heard anything about 2024 models? Colors or design changes? I've been going back and forth on ordering a Caledonia 5 but part of me is holding out for Soloist style cable routing in a possible redesign. It seems like the Caledonia 5 should get under the stem routing for the same reasons as the Soloist: easy travel and fit changes for someone without a team mechanic.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

You can do that with the current 5. Just choose the right bars.
Check out my older posts on this thread.

KickingWing41

by KickingWing41

Steve Curtis wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:47 pm
You can do that with the current 5. Just choose the right bars.
Check out my older posts on this thread.
Thanks! I see that now. Did you land on a final solution? Never been a fan of one piece bar/stem systems. I'd probably prefer separate bar/stem for adjustability reasons, so maybe an SL7 stem? Might have to sand off the S-Works logo though...

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I didn't ride the bike for a while as the shifters were away for warranty work. It's only just back together with the same bars but with a lower front end.

This is a solution I put together for a friend of mine on a different bike.
He didn't want integrated bars on a fully internally routed frame, so I came up with this. Not so neet but you could do the same on the 5.

KickingWing41

by KickingWing41

Double post...
Last edited by KickingWing41 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KickingWing41

by KickingWing41

Steve Curtis wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:22 pm
I didn't ride the bike for a while as the shifters were away for warranty work. It's only just back together with the same bars but with a lower front end.

This is a solution I put together for a friend of mine on a different bike.
He didn't want integrated bars on a fully internally routed frame, so I came up with this. Not so neet but you could do the same on the 5.

Interesting- thanks! I guess I could just suck it up and keep my current bike for flights or fit testing to minimize extra hydraulic work. I like the sleek internal look but wish they'd just do it a little smarter.
Last edited by KickingWing41 on Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

exige

by exige

KickingWing41 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:39 pm
Has anyone heard anything about 2024 models? Colors or design changes? I've been going back and forth on ordering a Caledonia 5 but part of me is holding out for Soloist style cable routing in a possible redesign. It seems like the Caledonia 5 should get under the stem routing for the same reasons as the Soloist: easy travel and fit changes for someone without a team mechanic.
I was concerned about the potential travel issue before getting my Cale 5, but I'm pleased to report it isn't a problem with the standard bars and stem. Providing the bike has been built with a bit of slack in the hoses, it is no problem to unbolt the bars and rotate them downwards. Mine goes straight in a Bike Box Allan, and that is with a 58 frame and 42cm bars. No idea what is coming in 2024 but personally I really like the super clean looks of the current Cale 5 front end.