Sit bone pain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CR987

by CR987

So I started cycling 3 years ago and always suffered with sit bone pain. Everybody always said I would get used to it but 18,000kms later and nothing has changed... I would actually say it has got worse over the last 3 years.
I get serious pain after only 15 minutes. I'm pretty athletic, 70kg 168cm (5ft 6in) so basically I'm not a physical freak in any way.
I'm getting fed up with buying saddles... Spez Power, Power Arc, Romin, a couple of Fabric saddles and the stock Giant SL forward.
Has anybody else suffered in the same way?
Last edited by CR987 on Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

My seat pain problem wasn't solved by hunting for new saddle (6 saddles along the journey, Btw).
Rather, it is solved by fitting change. Push saddle more to the back and lower it a bit. Angle it nose down 2 degree frin horizontal. Shorten stem by 1cm and that's it. No more saddle pain for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

Your suffering is not necessary, cr987. Saddle pressure mapping could help you, look out for a bike fitter that has that in his portfolio.

AJS914

by AJS914

A pro fit is proabably a good idea and also make sure you have good bib shorts.

A saddle that will really relieve pressure on sit bones is a Selle Anatomica.

mvcap

by mvcap

Maddie wrote:Your suffering is not necessary, cr987. Saddle pressure mapping could help you, look out for a bike fitter that has that in his portfolio.
+1
Pressure mapping fixed my saddle issues

CR987

by CR987

mvcap wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:08 pm
Maddie wrote:Your suffering is not necessary, cr987. Saddle pressure mapping could help you, look out for a bike fitter that has that in his portfolio.
+1
Pressure mapping fixed my saddle issues
I have been to a couple of bike fits but no joy, I will see if anyone local does pressure mapping.
I've tried decent bibs as well, assos and castelli.
Also, the only people that I know who complain about discomfort only feel it in the under carriage but never on the sit bones. I have never had any pain at all in the perineum.
Last edited by CR987 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have dealt with this issue. First try a soft saddle. For some people that is their only solution. I cannot tolerate a soft saddle, so I found the only solution for me was to to distribute pressure to other areas. I am OK on my sitbones, but I prefer to be in a more aerodynamic position which tranfers a good portion of the pressure to other areas further forward. Definitely harder on the perineum. Certain saddle designs can help this.

Riding style matters. Out of the saddle very frequenty to refresh the undercarraige.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I have the same problem but it is due to a hamstring tendon injury, so I am unable to ride at all.
I am in the process of getting a Meld saddle, which is custom made using a foam imprint.
I don't know if it will help or not but you might look into it.

CR987

by CR987

Just an update on my sit bone issue. I had previously been for 2 bike fits but recently went for a saddle fit which basically turned into a bike fit.
He used a pressure mapping saddle cover and quickly discovered my saddle height was too high and was causing some rocking. We lowered the saddle15mm. I was pretty surprised but having covered 300km since I can confirm that was the issue all along.
Funnily enough all of the saddles in my collection are now comfortable!

knightskid

by knightskid

CR987 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:24 am
Just an update on my sit bone issue. I had previously been for 2 bike fits but recently went for a saddle fit which basically turned into a bike fit.
He used a pressure mapping saddle cover and quickly discovered my saddle height was too high and was causing some rocking. We lowered the saddle15mm. I was pretty surprised but having covered 300km since I can confirm that was the issue all along.
i have the same problem and chance upon a gcn video using heel pedaling method, solve my backache, hand numb and saddle sore....will mark the setting to take my benchmark, then fine tune to see whether can get the best out of it.

Djakninn

by Djakninn

Do you have a link, had a quick link on Youtube and couldn't find anything :?

knightskid wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:15 am
CR987 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:24 am
i have the same problem and chance upon a gcn video using heel pedaling method, solve my backache, hand numb and saddle sore....will mark the setting to take my benchmark, then fine tune to see whether can get the best out of it.

corky

by corky

https://youtu.be/GJDeVD5YTo0

James gets it.........

coresare

by coresare

You couldn't tell your saddle was too high? I mean ..

CR987

by CR987

coresare wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:06 am
You couldn't tell your saddle was too high? I mean ..
Yeah I know... I sound like a real novice. I was put in that position after a couple of bike fits and I suppose after a while you kind of get used to it and the very slight rocking of the hips becomes imperceptible.
I didn't get that sit bone pain immediately after the bike fit.
The very very slight rocking motion was causing the sit bones to rub against the seat ever so slightly which was no big deal initially but after thousands of km's it has caused problems.

Oh yes, forgot to mention... as well as fixing the pain which was mainly in my right sit bone it also fixed the numbness that I got in my left foot.

15mm is a big difference and it sounds like I should have known but I'm willing to sound foolish if it helps someone else!

coresare

by coresare

Glad it finally got fixed. And shame on the previous bike fitters!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com