New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

the rear seattube stay intersection is one of the best aesthetic changes on the new TCR. SL is even better.
That Jayco paintjob is amazing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ItalianEngineering

by ItalianEngineering

Yeah the removal of the partially filled area between the seat stay is the best change. The non SL also got a reduced ramp up to the seat clamp.

chorus88

by chorus88

Propel is the pinnacle of Giant road frames (2022).
Eliminate the extreme sloping TT, PF BB & ISP :smartass:
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

Maddie

by Maddie

Any news about a new Liv Langma, the TCR for women?

pmprego

by pmprego

Maddie wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:05 pm
Or for man who cant fit on a tcr (myself)

bedampft

by bedampft

ItalianEngineering

by ItalianEngineering

I was offered a deal on a used SRAM force groupset, didn't talk an amount yet but I wasn't really considering it as it's sram dub and it seems generally agreed that the bearing life is comprimised. However, I was surprised that giant is selling in some countries, builds with sram dub. Could it be worthwhile?

Also, what is this sticker like thing? Not on the sl model, also on the propel non-sl.
raw-adv-pro.jpg
raw-adv-pro.jpg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 1120 times

toxin

by toxin

Probably opening for mechanical shifting

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Maddie wrote:
I'm surprised the press give Giant a free pass on this (well, I shouldn't be, given they give them a trip to the factory). Do women not deserve a new Langma? Or does aero not matter for women? :roll:

ItalianEngineering

by ItalianEngineering

toxin wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:15 pm
Probably opening for mechanical shifting
Ah it must be that, it is mentioned as an option for the 2023 propel. I didn't see any entrance holes, unless they expect you to wire it through the steerer.

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

raisinberry777 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:02 pm
Maddie wrote:
I'm surprised the press give Giant a free pass on this (well, I shouldn't be, given they give them a trip to the factory). Do women not deserve a new Langma? Or does aero not matter for women? :roll:
Giant setup Liv as the only major brand that fully supports women from bottom to pro-team.
They have supported with the Langma and EnviLiv full aero bike
Both of which are currently being raced in awesome colorways, arguably better than the mens.
Both Giant Liv bikes are featured prominently in press materials and in races.
New Langma will probably be introduced at a high vis stage race like Giro Donne or TdF.

So I don't know what you're talking about. Liv is probably the only one that believes in a womens specific brand.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

EtoDemerzel wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:59 pm
Giant setup Liv as the only major brand that fully supports women from bottom to pro-team.
What, just like Specialized/Trek do? I don't see that Liv are doing anything different except spinning women's cycling products off into a different brand.
EtoDemerzel wrote:
They have supported with the Langma and EnviLiv full aero bike
Yes, the EnviLiv - the equivalent of the Giant Propel, that launched 6 months after the men's Propel?

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/2023-giant-propel - Giant Propel launched August 19, 2022
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/liv-enviliv-2023 - Liv EnviLiv launched February 21, 2023

The Giant Propel was on show at the 2022 Tour de France with major press given the chance to take photos and ask questions. The Liv EnviLiv was announced via a press release - no journos, just some text and spec sheets to media outlets.

Given that the Langma is just, design-wise, a copy of the TCR with slightly altered geometry and different specs, why shouldn't updates launch at the same time? It's not like the Langma and TCR are totally different bikes. It relegates the women to (effectively) racing on the previous-gen bike, while the men get the current bike. To me, it's a poor look for a brand that is meant to be all about women's cycling.
EtoDemerzel wrote:
New Langma will probably be introduced at a high vis stage race like Giro Donne or TdF.
I mean, they've never done a launch at a major bike race before, but there's always hope they might change.

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

What is your problem? You originally said "Or does aero not matter for women? :roll:"
When in fact they do have an aero bike, and have had it.

Specialized and Trek have a womens specific brand?
Liv is the only major womens specific brand that I know of.

Specialized killed their womens line saying it's no different than mens. They also bought Machines for Freedom- an independent, female founded and womens specific brand that they killed within a year. Specialized doesn't believe in womens specific.
Trek does not have a womens brand, and I believe offer some component differences.

If you know there is a 6 month seperation between introductions, then there's your answer.

If you think Liv models are "is just, design-wise, a copy of the TCR with slightly altered geometry and different specs" than maybe you don't value their Liv brand or understand their product cycle. So who cares?
You didn't even know they were riding an aero bike.

Why did Giant launch the TCR now? Aren't the pro teams at a disadvantage before now? Why not launch the Propel and TCR at the same time? These are all business and manufacturing questions. That doesn't mean Liv doesn't care about women or value it less than. In fact, Liv is focused more on women and involving them at the grassroots level than any major brand I know of.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

EtoDemerzel wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:30 am
If you think Liv models are "is just, design-wise, a copy of the TCR with slightly altered geometry and different specs" than maybe you don't value their Liv brand or understand their product cycle. So who cares?
You didn't even know they were riding an aero bike.
So what are the differences between the TCR and the Langma (or Propel/EnviLiv) other than a slightly altered geometry and different specs?

I mentioned aero, because the primary difference between the old TCR and the new TCR is that it has hidden cables. From a performance standpoint, this is usually done for aerodynamic reasons. The men, if they want a frame with integrated cables, now have a choice between a Propel and a TCR. Women only have the choice of the EnviLiv. I was well aware of the existence of the EnviLiv, but this is the TCR thread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RimClencher

by RimClencher

raisinberry777 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:51 am
So what are the differences between the TCR and the Langma (or Propel/EnviLiv) other than a slightly altered geometry and different specs?
A big one I can see is the SL-grade Langma does not use an ISP. That would require a new layup schedule. Same for the EnviLiv.