Garmin Varia RTL510 Marketing gimmick or really works?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

London9921

by London9921

Butcher wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:22 pm
London9921 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:22 am
How's yours holding up?
It works like new. Have I used the camera? No. I guess that is a good thing. I had the original light/radar that Garmin made and I do feel this one is more senstive. I believe I read that others could see if someone is approaching on a bike [trying to pass] and yes, the camera version is that sensitive. I never got that warning with the older version.
That's also good to know. Nothing else on the market having comparable functionality, so I'll probably end up getting this one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Butcher wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:24 pm
People bad mouth Garmin all the time, maybe it's justified, but I have always had good luck with their product.
Generally the issues have been with their customer support. The products itself have been great to me for the past 10 years.

I did manage to shor circuit a Garmin 810 on a powerbank once, but purchased the unit with 5 years warranty so received a new one after 4.5y. Another niggle is that you alway receive a shitty mount as standard. I now have 3 aftermarket head unit mounts and 3 Varia mounts which are miles better, but cost like €20 each. Same goes for the switch to disc and XDR on my Tacx Neo, but who knew 6-7 years ago that those annoying discs to become a standard.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I always pitch the stock Garmin mount. I do use the Camera/Radar mount mostly because I have not looked into that.

I don't have a problem with Garmin including a mount that may not work for everyones set up. If they made a super nice one, the cost would go up. If that super nice one does not fit your set up, then it's just money in the garbage [or collecting in a drawer].

SunsetRider

by SunsetRider

I've had great luck with Garmin support on the two times I've need to use them. One time with a HRM strap and the other I was sent a mount kit that was suppose to be an updated but didn't have the newest mount in the box. Both times I was able to reach a native speaking CS rep that understood the problems and sent out replacements with no questions asked.

On the other hand, their firmware on the computers can be a bit sketchy and it takes them a long time to fix the issues it seems although I've never had a hardware or firmware issue with my RTL510.

MichaelE89

by MichaelE89

For Tarmac SL8 owners! I've designed a new mount for your Varia that has been tested and proven since October. It works seamlessly with both the stock seatpost and my custom one. No visible screws – it clamps securely with insert screws, leaving a sleek finish.

I have thought about selling it, but wanted to contribute to the community

You can now download and 3D print your mount for free on Thingiverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6521437
20240218_105754.jpg
20240307_124505.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-07 203638.jpg