Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AXA

by AXA

I was interested to buy the new Abus Gamechanger 2.0 but then I saw many pro from Alpecin (Philipsen, VDP, ...) and other teams are still using the first generation. Any thoughts why?

BBres

by BBres

Allegedly, MVDP actually just hates how it looks. Purely aesthetics question.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marian

by marian

208 wrote:
marian wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:15 pm
I'm looking for advice - I've tried several aero helmets - specialized evade 2, evade 3, met manta, giro eclipse spherical and they are narrow. The larger size of the helmet is already too big for my head and I can't fix it firmly. My head circumference is 58 cm. In my LBS they told me specialized sold in EU asian version years ago (for more round heads) and nowadays many customers have a similar problem with choosing a helmet.

you don't know how wide they are for e.g. lazer vento kineticore, sweetprotection falconer aero 2VI Mips or other models? I don't have the opportunity to try them in the store.
Can probably add the new ballista to your list of helmets that don't fit. It fits my oval head perfecto.
I know about this helmet, but it's already “too aero” - only my aesthetic reason….and there's also the fact that I ride a tarmac sl7. I know, I know...:-)
I also have a Kask Utopia Yin my selection

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I just got a Gamechanger first gen for super cheap. Liking it so far

ReactoScultura

by ReactoScultura

bmrk wrote:The Furion 2.0 is my favourite helmet. Aero, light, not expensive and i can use it all year around as it is very well ventilated.

Never overheated with them in the mountains with temps above 30c.
Have the Furion 2.0 too.

And the Lazer Vento also.

alanyu

by alanyu

marian wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:48 pm
208 wrote:
marian wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:15 pm
I'm looking for advice - I've tried several aero helmets - specialized evade 2, evade 3, met manta, giro eclipse spherical and they are narrow. The larger size of the helmet is already too big for my head and I can't fix it firmly. My head circumference is 58 cm. In my LBS they told me specialized sold in EU asian version years ago (for more round heads) and nowadays many customers have a similar problem with choosing a helmet.

you don't know how wide they are for e.g. lazer vento kineticore, sweetprotection falconer aero 2VI Mips or other models? I don't have the opportunity to try them in the store.
Can probably add the new ballista to your list of helmets that don't fit. It fits my oval head perfecto.
I know about this helmet, but it's already “too aero” - only my aesthetic reason….and there's also the fact that I ride a tarmac sl7. I know, I know...:-)
I also have a Kask Utopia Yin my selection
My head is semi-round, a bit narrow front but a bit wide/round back, 56cm.

From what I tried/used/using (all size M, but not all areo ones): Spesh Previal II (EU) fits my forehead but too narrow at back. Kabuto Zenard is round, but too round/wide for me. Met Menta and Lazer Z1 mips are quite round, no problem. Kask Valegro is overall best fit as it's wide and indeed wider at back. HJC Furion 2.0 is also good fit but not as ergo as Valegro to me.

AXA

by AXA

BBres wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:43 pm
Allegedly, MVDP actually just hates how it looks. Purely aesthetics question.
Don't know if it's only an aesthetic question.
A lot of riders used the 2.0 at Tour de France just after the release and now (September/October races) back to the first generation.

hatone

by hatone

Does anyone know if the branding/stickers on Sworks Evade 3 can be peeled off? i.e not under any clear coat?

voicycle

by voicycle

hatone wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:38 pm
Does anyone know if the branding/stickers on Sworks Evade 3 can be peeled off? i.e not under any clear coat?
My all-white one doesn't have the prominent branding on the side that you're probably most concerned with, but the S on the front is not under any clear coat. It is either a reflective sticker or is sprayed on though so might not be straightforward to remove. The S-Works is cast/CNCed into the metal inlays so there's no removing that unless you modify/remove the metal bit. Mips is no different than a kids sticker - would take seconds to remove.

voicycle

by voicycle

Just loaded Specialized website to look for a torque value on something and found this. Am I late to the party or did I just stumble upon the release of the new Specialized Propero 4?

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/prope ... 1000208618

Looks like an all-rounder to compete with the Giro Eclipse and similar?

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

Yeah, it launches today along with new shoes - Torch 3.0 and 2.0.

There's also a 28 mm version of their top-of-the-line tubeless tyre - S-Works Turbo RapidAir 2Bliss Ready T2/T5 that should be added any time now.
Previously only available in 26 mm (measuring 27 mm on a 21C rim). The 28 mm comes out to 29 mm. SKU 00024-1152 - just google that.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-wor ... 5/p/218296
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Stormtrooper wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:16 pm
There is a guy in our club who wears the evade and it looks like he's wearing a shoe box on his head. I vote for the Ballista.
If he's not racing, why is he wearing an aero helmet? If he's racing why does it matter how it looks?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BenCousins wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:55 pm

If he's not racing, why is he wearing an aero helmet? If he's racing why does it matter how it looks?

Why wouldn't you wear an aero helmet as a non-racer? Most modern aero helmets have enough ventilation for even the hottest days.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

Not a true aero lid but I remember on the trainerroad forum someone mentioning how the old Bontrager Velocis MIPS was one of the fastest "traditional" lids they tested, and I just ordered the new more vented one which is also claimed faster.

Anyone have any data on either of these? Interestingly enough I got mine on eBay from the UK and the UK spec is 220g while the US is 245
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:02 am
BenCousins wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:55 pm

Why wouldn't you wear an aero helmet as a non-racer? Most modern aero helmets have enough ventilation for even the hottest days.
pretty much ^.. only time I dont wear an aero helmet is gravel rides... gravel race and the aero helmet is back on.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com