Shimano 11 cassette with Campag-can’t get it right

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

To also report my own experience. After a thread I had started here some months ago where the responses I got ranged from it works fine to it does not work at all, I decided to try it out.

My setup: Chorus 2015+ all except Crankset (Rotor P2M with PraxisWorks rings), Chain (Ultegra R8000) and Cassette (11-28 Ultegra R8000).

Result: I had to increase cable tension a couple of times (I guess cable stretching?) but now it works like a charm for 3 months, no problems, noises, hesitation in shifting whatsoever. There is not even a comparison to the 7800 groupset it replaced. However I should note that all the components are brand new, so this may change down the road when things become a bit worn - we'll see. In the worst case I'll need to change two freehub bodies and cassettes, but I don't see me changing the crankset in the near future).

Also one thought which perhaps explains these conflicting opinions on the matter. I could well imagine that two different frames both within the campagnolo specs for chainline, RD-hanger etc, could still be different enough so that in one case the franken-setup works perfectly as is the case with my setup, and in the other case it does not work as smooth as seems to be the case with you. So there could be some luck involved on whether your frame allows a smooth mix-and-match or not, and I guess its hard to find out without trying...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mackers

by Mackers

My experience mixing 11S components:

Giant TCR SL - Chorus - 105 12-25 - Ultegra chain - Perfect
De Rosa Vision - SR - Ultegra 12-25 -Ultegra chain - Perfect
Colnago Tecnos - Chorus - Ultegra 12-25 - Ultegra chain - Perfect
Colnago Superissimo - Record - Ultegra 11-23 - DA chain - Perfect

YMMV as they say :)

g00se

by g00se

Again, another one who has run a 105 11-speed 12-25 with an Athena mech with Record levers. Works fine but Graeme would have kittens! ;) - I say that after listening to his fascenating piece on campag equipment in the Cycle Acadeny podcast and the issues with mixing powershift and ultrashift combinations. Just to make it worse, the rear mech is short cage and I also run a 12-29 Miche cassette with a 50-34 compat for the alps.

With that Shimano splined wheelset, I may take that to the alps too - so I was going to use it with an 11-28 Ultegra cassette. Now I know that may be more problematic, I'll give it a test to see if I need to get a campag-compatible freehub to run the Miche cassette instead.

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

“Shimano 11 cassette with Campag”

Sorry, couldn't resist. :wink:
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

glepore

by glepore

g00se wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:30 pm
Again, another one who has run a 105 11-speed 12-25 with an Athena mech with Record levers. Works fine but Graeme would have kittens! ;) - I say that after listening to his fascenating piece on campag equipment in the Cycle Acadeny podcast and the issues with mixing powershift and ultrashift combinations. Just to make it worse, the rear mech is short cage and I also run a 12-29 Miche cassette with a 50-34 compat for the alps.

With that Shimano splined wheelset, I may take that to the alps too - so I was going to use it with an 11-28 Ultegra cassette. Now I know that may be more problematic, I'll give it a test to see if I need to get a campag-compatible freehub to run the Miche cassette instead.
Can you provide a link to the podcast? Searched Soundcloud etc. no luck.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

glepore

by glepore

Thanks!
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

xcnick

by xcnick

I got a Campag cassette. Out of interest I checked the gaps using a drill bit! The drill bit fits perfectly into the gaps between the smaller sprockets but there is no way it will slot in between the larger sprockets.
The Shimano cassette on the other hand has larger gaps between the upper sprockets than the smaller ones. But the difference in gap size is much less too.
I know it’s hardly scientific but clearly proves where the differences are.

I was out with a friend who runs super record and Ultegra cassette the other day. He says it’s fine but riding behind him I could see and hear that it wasn’t fine, at all!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That’s a good enough real world experiment for me. It’s funny what some people accept as “fine” or even “perfect”. I may be forced into seeing how the reverse works. I have a Zipp Superzero Disc from when they introduced them. Things were 10sp then. Unfortunately you can’t change the freehub to accommodate 11sp Shimano. My option (if want 11sp is to switch to the Campy freehub through their conversion kit and then be able to use Campy 11sp (or 12sp now) cassettes and then run them with the SRAM drivetrain. I’m hoping it’s “good enough”.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

fa63

by fa63

Interesting. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Centaur 11 groupset to use with a Shimano wheelset and 11-32 cassette, but it sounds like it may not work very well.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I've generally found campy cassettes in a Shimano system to be acceptable (again our definitions may be different), but I've struggled to get a Shimano cassette (12-25 and 11-25) to be 'acceptable' with a Campagnolo system (unless I remove the 16 or 18T and block out the 11th shift).

What I would like to see/try is a 11spd SRAM cassette in a 11spd Campagnolo system... I suspect the SRAM cassette may work a little better, because when I swap between SRAM/Shimano cassettes on my Shimano bike, the SRAM cassette needs a high limit screw adjustment (if I've got my terms correct, I mean to say that the cassette feels wider).
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What about getting the heavier kind of cassette with individual cogs and order a set of appropriate spacers to make it a perfect fit?

Although it's a compromise, I'm thinking even the lighter cassettes (except one piece designs) can be corrected sufficiently. Like the dura-ace cassette has blocks of 3 cogs. The misalignment is most severe at the ends of the cassette so if the blocks are adjusted it could eliminate that end range misalignment even if within the blocks themselves it's not corrected. With 3 cogs in one block there aren't enough cogs to compound a great enough misalignent to cause issues, maybe...

/a

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Calnago wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:16 pm
That’s a good enough real world experiment for me. It’s funny what some people accept as “fine” or even “perfect”. I may be forced into seeing how the reverse works. I have a Zipp Superzero Disc from when they introduced them. Things were 10sp then. Unfortunately you can’t change the freehub to accommodate 11sp Shimano. My option (if want 11sp is to switch to the Campy freehub through their conversion kit and then be able to use Campy 11sp (or 12sp now) cassettes and then run them with the SRAM drivetrain. I’m hoping it’s “good enough”.
Just get someone to machine the back of the carrier down on an 11spd shimano cassette. Most times it doesnt need to be more than 1.5mm, and no wider than the "boss". Easier and cheaper than trying to source a campag freehub (ive got an 808 with the old 182 hub).
Only dont do it with a dura ace level one- stick to 105/ultegra.

Personally i'm running campag 11 or (non gen versions) cassettes on shimano shifting systems, mechanical and di2, and also shimano cassettes on a campag pre 2015 super record, all with no problems, inc racing on them when you need decent shifting.

KMC chains are also a smidge thinner apparently, so that may also help.
Official cafe stop tester

xcnick

by xcnick

I’m looking forward to getting the Campag cassette on today and seeing the difference in shifting! I think the best chance of getting the Shimano cassette to work as well as possible would be to use the Campag spacers between the smaller cogs (if you have any spare rather than buying 2 cassettes :lol: )

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Successfully using shimano style cassettes would vastly broaden your options. Price and weight would surely decrease. Availability, delivery time would improve. Personally I like to tinker so I'd give the spacer solution a go but it's a personal choice of course.

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com