Oval chain ring with crank base power meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

survivor

by survivor

I am using the absoluteblack oval chain rings and like them very much. I am currently looking at several crank base power meters but not sure whether they will have any clearance issue with the oval chain rings. Anyone experienced this before that can help to shed some light? Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

When you say "crank based", are you referring to an arm based one like Stages, or a spider based one like Power2Max, Pioneer, etc?
Honestly, either way... It's just a chainring... I don't think you'd have an issue either way so long as the PM has the same BCD as your rings.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

bilwit

by bilwit

Yeah and assuming it's for the bike in your sig and that you're currently using the AbsoluteBlack w/ the DA9000 crank, you just need to get one that is compatible with the DA9000 chainrings (Quarq DFour, Power2Max 110 4-S, etc) -- be careful about the bottom bracket shenanigans though.

Could also just get a Stages and be done with it while saving a few grams and dollars in the process. The DA9000 ones are a bargain these days.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

There can be issues with the battery pods on some designs like Quarq's, Pioneer's, others.