wheels for hill climbing with € 900 budget

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dedobike

by dedobike

I have a budget of 900 € I'm looking for a pair of low-profile wheels to make granfondo and hill climbs have some models to recommend? I would have thought of the DT Swiss PR 1400 DICUT OXIC but weigh a little too much 1435. But with such a low budget it is difficult to find something better.

dim

by dim

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

https://www.slowbuild.eu/%C3%BCbersicht ... p-1300-gr/

Plenty of reasonably priced options on this site. Fast line items delivered within a few days.

Use Chrome with translate option.

Marin

by Marin

What do you weigh?

For 900€ you can get a top end set built be most wheelbuilders.

slowbuild has a thread going on Tour magazine forum, look it up before you buy.
Last edited by Marin on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

long19000

by long19000

Extralite Cyber, Cx ray, Ryde pluse sprint.
Should be around your budget, and weights around 1250g (depend on spoke hole)

themidge

by themidge

I've got a plan (as I always like to have for everything) for some light weight wheels that should cost much less than 900 euros:
Kinlin XR200 rims (they're pretty narrow but very light, you'll probably gain about 30-50 grams for something wider)
Bike Hub Store (BHS) hubs (good reviews, cheap and light)
Probably cx-ray or laser spokes

Should come to somewhere close to just under 1300g
+ veloflex master tyres and some lightweight butul or latex tubes and it's a pretty light set for not very much money at all (around £400 max, especially if you build them yourself)

P.S. If you don't want to go custom then 1350-1400g seems to be about the minimum for stock wheels within your budget.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Go tubs. Even less than 900 EUR could score you close to 1000g wheelset from normal Chinese brands.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

alcatraz

by alcatraz

1435gr is not that much if you are looking for a solid alloy wheel.

As you get lower and lower you will need more and more retruing.

Also if you like to do steep climbs standing up or low cadence sprints, you will feel the wheels flexing.

Put these words in order of importance to you (even if they are nearly all the same):
stiffness
wet braking
maintenance free
dry braking
weight
aerodynamics

and let us know your weight and if you are an average power rider or under/over.

/a

robertbb

by robertbb

I'd strongly recommend against the XR200's. I used to have a pair of these, built 20/28 by Ron Ruff using DT240s rear (2x) and Alchemy ELF front (radial). This was a very popular custom build around the 2010/2011 period.

1) The rims are very soft, and unless you plan to go 32/32 double cross they will flex. They will flex anyway.
2) The rims are very thin - even a 23mm tyre will create a floppily shaped tyre that compromises handling when you come back down. They also won't track so well and you'll get unintentional brake rub on sharp turns.
3) The braking surface isn't the best alloy has to offer.

Seriously, for 900euros I'd get Shamals. While they weigh a little more, they are stiff as guts and as such will get you up quickly (and down safely).

dedobike

by dedobike

Thanks for the advice what do you think of the vision tc24?

Discodan

by Discodan

If you're looking at pre-built you'd be mad not to consider the Dura-Ace C24's as well, sub 800 euro, 1380g claimed (mine come in at 1320), and very well regarded

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Mavic open pro UST rims are better. Even with CX rays and extralite hubs weight is under 1300g.

This is what I would build.

Kaboom

by Kaboom

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:51 pm
Go tubs. Even less than 900 EUR could score you close to 1000g wheelset from normal Chinese brands.
This.

Absolutely, positively LOVE my 1050g 700€ spanish-built chinese hubs, rims and spokes wheels. The rear hub is kinda crappy so I'd go with something different next time and they have few spokes so they flex a little, but to put this in perspective, I also have a set of Bora One 35 tubs that I'm considering selling just because the 1050 climbing set feels so much nicer in nearly all situations, specially descending and sharp direction changes. The braking is significantly better than the Bora's, too...

When I get tired of rebuilding the rear hub I'm probably gonna blow another 300€ and go for an extralite cyberhub. They'll be sub-1000g then...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boshk

by Boshk

Kaboom wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 am
mrlobber wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:51 pm
This.

Absolutely, positively LOVE my 1050g 700€ spanish-built chinese hubs, rims and spokes wheels. The rear hub is kinda crappy so I'd go with something different next time and they have few spokes so they flex a little, but to put this in perspective, I also have a set of Bora One 35 tubs that I'm considering selling just because the 1050 climbing set feels so much nicer in nearly all situations, specially descending and sharp direction changes. The braking is significantly better than the Bora's, too...

When I get tired of rebuilding the rear hub I'm probably gonna blow another 300€ and go for an extralite cyberhub. They'll be sub-1000g then...
..and I was just going to say...you could probably get a set of Bora One 35s either 2nd hand or when they go on sale.

..quite a lot of mixed reviews on the Bora's, some love them, some state...average performance but 10/10 for looks