Bottom bracket cable guide with praxis adapter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Syreex

by Syreex

Hi guys, here is my situation:

I’ve been battling with a creakandale for a while now, grease, clean even change bearing and it always comes back. So I decided my last step before changing the bike is to try and change the bottom bracket. My bike is Caad10 ultegra 2014.

I bought the praxis bottom bracket adapter and Shimano ultegra crank and wanted to get your advice on what you suggest I do with the protruding cable guide which has a plastic? bolt with ears inside the bottom bracket preventing me from using the praxis adapter.

My understanding I either cut the ‘ears’ and glue the guide to the frame or I go to the bike shop and hope they have a guide without the ‘ears’?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

I had the same problem on a previous bike, and I attached the cable guide with strong double-sided tape. No issues whatsoever, despite living in a very damp environment.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Syreex

by Syreex

boysa wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:57 pm
I had the same problem on a previous bike, and I attached the cable guide with strong double-sided tape. No issues whatsoever, despite living in a very damp environment.
Did you use a guide without any protrusions into the bb or you modified the one in place?

treetrees

by treetrees

There's 2 options 1 = loosen cables , remove cable guide then insert praxis then refit and tension cables or 2 = use Wheels manurfacturing thread together botton bracket which is what I did on my Caad10 , no need to remove cable guide with this one and imo it's better .

boysa

by boysa

@Syreex... Mine was a 2015 CAAD 10, and I tried to get the BB inserted without shearing the tab, but nevertheless it popped off. I had thought about drilling out the bb, but seemed silly when double-sided tape worked marvelously. I can't be 100% sure (the mind isn't what it once was!) but I think it was Gorilla Tape or something. I put in some serious miles, and as I said, despite living in a very moist environment, never gave me an issue.

FWIW, I tried both Praxis and Wheels Mfg bb options, and I found the Praxis to be far superior. Eventually, however, even the Praxis began to creak and I ended up using Loctite 609. Problem solved. That stuff is magic. Save yourself any future headaches and use it straight away.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny