Potenza shifters with new Centaur 11 rear mech?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xcnick

by xcnick

I've just ordered some Potenza components for a new build but ordered a Centaur medium rear mech by mistake! It's less than half the cost of the Potenza and reviews say they're pretty much the same.

Anyone know if it'll work?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Hard to see why it wouldn't.

xcnick

by xcnick

That’s my thought. But this is my first ever campy purchase so I actually know nothing about campy :D

freehub

by freehub

My sense is Potenza groupset will not be compatible with Centaur rear derailleur. Reason is...Potenza derailleur architecture emulates the latest redesigned Chorus thru SR where Campy redesigned the pull ratio from previous 11s.

What you could do is compare a picture of a Potenza RD versus the Centaur RD you have in hand. If appearance is quite different, then it won't work well because cable pull of Potenza shifters will not index a Centaur rear derailleur properly which is based upon previous design level of 11s shared by Athena for example.

IMO.

Miller

by Miller

Graeme F_K come in, this topic needs you!

freehub

by freehub

Miller wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:34 pm
Graeme F_K come in, this topic needs you!
Yup, Graeme is the man when it comes to Campy and he could confirm.
But...derailleur architecture is quite different between new 11s Centaur and 11s Potenza, so quite sure pull ratios aren't compatible. See comparison pic below I put together.
Attachments
derailleur comparo.jpg

xcnick

by xcnick

I can’t see the huge different between the 2, but you’re probably correct. It obviously doesn’t take much to change the cable pull ratio. It would be silly if they didn’t work together.

Another question regarding Potenza then.... is the HO stuff compatible with the non HO stuff?
Again, I’m unable to find confirmation on this. From what I understand the HO rear mech makes it easier to remove disc wheels with thru axle?

JoO

by JoO

i would like to know as well.

If it is old 11 speed cable pull you could use (nice glossy) athena ergopowers

If it is latest gen 11 speed cable pull this could be a cheap alternative for for potenza and up .

Graeme your advice would be most welcome

freehub

by freehub

xcnick wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:49 pm
I can’t see the huge different between the 2, but you’re probably correct. It obviously doesn’t take much to change the cable pull ratio. It would be silly if they didn’t work together.

Another question regarding Potenza then.... is the HO stuff compatible with the non HO stuff?
Again, I’m unable to find confirmation on this. From what I understand the HO rear mech makes it easier to remove disc wheels with thru axle?
What is HO?

xcnick

by xcnick

Hydraulic optimisation. Which makes sense for rear mech for the thu axle, and crankset for the chainline. But also labelling shifters as HO and saying brake cables included is just confusing. I must be missing something. Do they do both??

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Centaur 11 speed shifter and rear mechs opperate on different cable pull to rest of the campag 11 speed range so it wont work not even close.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

non HO and HO are interchangeable. cable pulls are the same.

xcnick

by xcnick

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:32 pm
non HO and HO are interchangeable. cable pulls are the same.
Thank you very much for the clarification on both parts! Better get my credit card back out :D

JoO

by JoO

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:31 pm
Centaur 11 speed shifter and rear mechs opperate on different cable pull to rest of the campag 11 speed range so it wont work not even close.
Do you have first hand experience?
it would seem a bit odd that campagnolo would design a new cable pull just for centaur 11.
In the past they have recycled the internals of their shifters for lower end groupsets

My bet would be that the internals would be = potenza + other lever blade. (or athena internals + other lever blade)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

I think People are confusing old Centaur with the recently released Centaur 11 - Potenza should work fine with Centaur 11.