Giant Propel Brake (TRP TTV) Arms

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JayUK

by JayUK

Hi all,

Two friends of mine have Giant Propel bikes, one is new, the other is a 2016 (I think). They both have the aero V brakes (TRP TTV model).

With the new bike, the brake arm where the brake cable enters first (where the noodle fits) has two holes (obviously one of the holes is in use for this task). But what is the other hole right next to it for? All I can think is that it allows you to quickly change the width/spacing of the V brake setup (spaces the noodle further out - hence closes the gap between the pads).

The friend with the old Propel, his V-brake arm only has the one hole.

If you look very closely at the attached picture, you can see the brake cable/noodle is using the back hole, there is another hole a few mm in front.

Many thanks,

J.
Attachments
Propel V brake.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

JayUK wrote:Hi all,

Two friends of mine have Giant Propel bikes, one is new, the other is a 2016 (I think). They both have the aero V brakes (TRP TTV model).

With the new bike, the brake arm where the brake cable enters first (where the noodle fits) has two holes (obviously one of the holes is in use for this task). But what is the other hole right next to it for? All I can think is that it allows you to quickly change the width/spacing of the V brake setup (spaces the noodle further out - hence closes the gap between the pads).

The friend with the old Propel, his V-brake arm only has the one hole.

If you look very closely at the attached picture, you can see the brake cable/noodle is using the back hole, there is another hole a few mm in front.

Many thanks,

J.
Yes you are correct. They enable quick change between two cable pull lengths.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

JayUK

by JayUK

Hi there,

Thanks for confirming :)

J.

sharkman

by sharkman

The brake in the picture is from fouriers (small investment to get to ultegra levell performance)
The second hole is helpful if a rim is bend and you still want to get home (without disabeling the brake)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I had a 2015 Propel that came with the TRP brakes (I still have them if anyone wants them). In addition to what @sharkman said about the Fouriers.... it also allows you to run 25c tires in the back.

With the TRP brakes, you *might* be able to get a 25 to fit if it runs small. I got one that would spin, but there was about a 1mm hop in the wheel that would rub on the brake cable. With the Fouriers a 25c will clear no problem.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Got this 2nd hand Propel Advanced. I think it's 2016. The rear brake cable clearance is abundance for Vittoria Corsa 25c tubular.Image

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10