Canyon Aeroad Disc or Ultimate Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

crux

by crux

I've done many longer rides on the Aeroad and I had no issues with the "harshness" of the bike.
If the a little bit more agressive position will fit you, there will be no problem with the Aeroad, and in my opinion it looks much better ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dastott

by dastott

Seriously considered both the Ultimate and Aeroad before buying my SuperSix Evo HM. Was put off by the Canyon cockpit with its lack of adjust ability (wanted 42cm bars with a 13cm stem). To my eyes, the Aeroad looks better and the weight penalty is negligible.

jlok

by jlok

I thought stem and bar are user replaceable and the Cannondale stuffs are to be replaced right away...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

calleking

by calleking

How is the Aeroad Disc in terms of tyre clearance against the aero seat tube? Any difference compared to the rim brake model?

Loving my Aeroad but would switch to a disc Aeroad if only the Swedish Cycling Federation would start allowing it in races.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

dcorn

by dcorn

Someone has posted a picture of 28mm continentals fitting the rear cutout.

I have the Aeroad disc and the stock tires measure about 2mm larger than advertised, front and rear. I was going to switch to 28s but the ride is honestly quite comfy to the point where I might just throw a 25mm on the front and call it a day. Or put a 28 out back and put the rear 25 in the front haha.

I went from riding 32mm and 36mm tires on my cross bike all last year to jumping on the Aeroad and the ride was surprisingly soft. Usually when I switched back to my Tarmac with 25mm tires on narrow Mavic wheels, the ride was downright jarring.

calleking

by calleking

The internal rim width has a big impact on how comfy the ride is. I run pretty wide Enve 4.5s on 25mm Michelin Power Competition and the ride is smooth with the correct pressure for my weight. Also, different tyres grow more or less depending on brand and model. Conti GP4000 S2 is generally one size up after mounting them :)

I have a pair of Michelin Pro 4 Endurance V2 28mm that I'm going to put on right now. Will post a couple of pictures later on!

Retired:
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2

calleking

by calleking

ENVE SES 4.5 Clinchers
Michelin Pro 4 Endurance V2 28mm @ 5 BAR/70 PSI

Seems to be just about enough clearance on rear wheel to the frame without stretching it. No problem at all with 6800 calipers.

True tyre size of ~28mm seems to be the limit. All depends on rim and tyre combination.

Can post front wheel if anyone is interested.

Retired:
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2

JayUK

by JayUK

Hi there,

In relation to the cockpit (width/stem length), Canyon only supply the one associated with the size/choice of bike (check the website), but do allow you to return that cockpit and exchange it for a different sized one (well they do here in the UK, you normally get 30 days). You have to pay for the postage and obviously you have to remove the bar tape/levers/etc and refit on the new cockpit.

The available sizes are the ones used for the other bike sizes (again, check their website), they do not have extra/other sizes which aren't listed.

J.

ps - One thing to be aware of, they can be out of stock of certain models/sizes, so check this first as you might have your new bike delivered and then find the specific sized cockpit you want is not available.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

According to person commenting on road.cc, this is supposedly an image of a 28mm Conti GP4000s II on an Endurace Reynolds wheel mounted on an Aeroad disc.

morganb

by morganb

JayUK wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:47 pm
Hi there,

In relation to the cockpit (width/stem length), Canyon only supply the one associated with the size/choice of bike (check the website), but do allow you to return that cockpit and exchange it for a different sized one (well they do here in the UK, you normally get 30 days). You have to pay for the postage and obviously you have to remove the bar tape/levers/etc and refit on the new cockpit.

The available sizes are the ones used for the other bike sizes (again, check their website), they do not have extra/other sizes which aren't listed.
That's a huge bummer, I would need a 120mm/39cm setup to ride the integrated bar.

IchDien

by IchDien

They have 120mm / 41cm no?

IchDien

by IchDien

The other thing you need to check is that the reach is short on the bars...2cm shorter than my 3T and almost 4cm shorter than aerobars by 3T.

For me it's a concern because I'd need a 150mm stem on a Medium to get desired fit which obviously isn't going to happen.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

IchDien wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:40 pm
The other thing you need to check is that the reach is short on the bars...2cm shorter than my 3T and almost 4cm shorter than aerobars by 3T.

For me it's a concern because I'd need a 150mm stem on a Medium to get desired fit which obviously isn't going to happen.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

IchDien wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:40 pm

If you would need a 150 stem to make it work, then you should definitely be on a large frame, not on a medium.

cyclotron8000

by cyclotron8000

I'm in the exact situation deciding between the Ultimate and Aeroad as the daily driver. I've been perfectly happy on 25mm tires, albeit mounted to wide Stan's Avion wheels which balloon the tires quite a bit. I love the idea of 28mm or even 30mm (a la the new Scott Foil Disc) for comfort and speed. I don't see any downside to the Aeroad other than less tire clearance.

I contacted Canyon directly and they linked me to that exact Road.cc photo of the 28mm tire on the Aeroad on an internally wide Reynolds wheel, which would lead me to believe that 28 is bigger than that. "Officially", a 25mm is what Canyon say fits. Photos & videos I've seen of the fork looks like there is loads of room, but finding a clear photo of the underside of the chain stays is almost impossible.

I was also told by Canyon that they are working on a customization system where you can choose seat post, bar/stem length, but not crank length. I'm deterred from the one-piece bar because of the stumpy stem lengths that are standard.

On a side note, what's everyone's opinion on R8000 vs. Di2? Never ridden electronic, but my heart says stay "pure" with mechanical.
Attachments
4SM_0960 copy.jpg
Not sure if this is a Disc or Rim version, but only underside pic I could find. Seems to be a good amount of room.
Not sure if this is a Disc or Rim version, but only underside pic I could find. Seems to be a good amount of room.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com