Canyon Aeroad Disc - Tire Clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bordcla

by Bordcla

@dcorn

Are those swirly graphics stickered above the rim surface or are they applied and then clear coated over? I'd probably remove them when I get my bike. I just don't know if that's doable on these particular wheels?

cpark

by cpark

Wow! That's awesome! Are you saying, though, that the 28 Contis are even bigger than those 32s? How tall are those 32s on the 17mm internal rims?
[/quote]

Hutchinson run true to size.
I have a set of them in 32mm and they are almost same size the GP 4000s 28mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcorn

by dcorn

Just so the questions here are answered:

The swirly graphics on the stock Aeroad Reynolds wheels are painted on, but not under clearcoat. Nothing short of sanding is going to get them off.

As for the Hutchinson tires, the 32c Sectors measured 32mm wide on a 21mm internal width wheel, and 30mm wide on a 17c internal width. They do bulge out a bit on the narrower wheel, but I haven't had any problems with it. I did a road race on the bike last week which had a mile of gravel and everything performed flawlessly. The bike was soooo fast and smooth on the gravel.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

I wonder if all of these bikes are the same regardless of size or if this can differ between sizes or manufacturing variances, but on my size L frame, 28 Contis do fit, but there is so little clearance radially between the tire and the seat tube, right around the lower rear bottle cage bolt, that the tiniest of pebble stuck in the tire will rub.

How is it on other Aeroad frames?

Bordcla

by Bordcla

I can confirm that the 28 Conti's still barely fit on 25mm internally wide Enve 4.5 ARs, but again there is almost no radial clearance to the seat tube right around the rear bottle cage bolts. Barely more than 1mm, if that.

krogec

by krogec

Contis in size 28mm fit my "M" size frame perfectly fine. Inner Width of wheels: 17 mm, inner tubes 25-30mm
I could fit even a larger tire, there is still a whole lot space everywhere. Will upload a photo tomorrow.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

krogec wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:27 pm
Contis in size 28mm fit my "M" size frame perfectly fine. Inner Width of wheels: 17 mm, inner tubes 25-30mm
I could fit even a larger tire, there is still a whole lot space everywhere. Will upload a photo tomorrow.
Please photograph radial clearance at seat tube around rear bottle cage, as this is the only pinch point for me. Plenty of clearance everywhere else in all directions, but practically none there, either on stock 17mm inner rim width or on the Enve's 25mm inner width.

mann2

by mann2

I don't have an Aeroad Disc but have been using a rim brake version for three years.

On a Zipp 404 Firestrike, frame size XS, you can indeed fit 28mm GP4000s2's.

The problem is that the clearance is so tight that if you roll over any sort of debris like those small pebbles, organic stuff or anything which could stick to the tires, theyre gonna bring them in and scrape the bottom part of the seattube.

Mine got to point where it got through the paint. I had the section repainted and went back to 25's.

OliHall

by OliHall

Hi.

If it helps anyone, I have been running 28mm Hutchinson Fusion 5 Perfomance (Tubeless Ready) tyres on my 2018 Aeroad with Reynolds Strike wheels for a couple of weeks now. I have just got back from a four day 400 mile tour, I am running them tubeless and so far they have been great. The ride seems to be improved as running the Hutchinsons at F:80 R:90 psi, gives a lot less road buzz than running the Contis at F:110 R:120 psi.

FWIW, on the Reynolds 17c rims, the 28mm Hutchinsons measure exactly the same height and width as the 25mm GP4000s that they replaced, so the rear clearance is exactly the same as with the Contis so no problem there.

The tyres went onto the rims easily, I didn't even need to use levers, they went on by hand. I could not get them seated with the track pump, but a standard CO2 cart got them on no problem. The tubeless valves were supplied in the accessory bag with the bike, and the stock Reynolds rim-tape appeares to be good enough for tubeless operation. I used 60ml of Stans No Tubes sealant in each tyre.

For the first few days the tyres lost a lot of pressure with the air leaking out where the tyre bead meets the rim. This was because the sealant had got all the way round the tyre, but not enough sealant had got to the area between where the tyre meets the rim. No amount of spinning the wheels round would get them to seal. Finally I worked out a way to get the sealant to where it needed to be:
1. Hold the wheel in front of you like it is a car steering wheel, with the valve at the top and the disc brake (or the QR lever) towards you.
2. Flip it end over end, do this 10 times.
3. With the disc brake (or the QR lever) towards you, rotate the wheel by an 1/8 of a turn to the right (so the valve is half way between 1 and 2 o'clock)
4. Flip it end over end another 10 times.
5. Repeat this until the valve has got all the way back to the top - you will have flipped the wheel end over end about 100 times by this point!!!

N.B. Don't put your wheels in the bath to see where the air is coming out unless you want to have to take the tyre off and remove the tubeless valve to get all the water out that is now sloshing around inside your nice new carbon rims! :lol:

After doing this, they sealed properly and hold pressure really well. They now only lose about 10psi per week which IMHO is better than the tubes they replaced.
I might be tempted to try the 32mm Hutchinson Sectors next time, but for now these 28mm Fusion 5 Performance are working really well.

If anyone has run the 32mm Sectors for a long time, please can you post to let us know if the clearance is ok for long-term use, or is it too tight in the seat post cut out?

Thanks,
Oli.

cvoicu

by cvoicu

I have Canyon Aeroad Disc, size M. I put 28mm Conti GP 4000S II in the back. There is less than 1mm clearance. It spins free on the stand, but I hear rubbing sounds when riding, especially when there is debris on the road or when out of the saddle. It’s driving me crazy. I will switch back to size 25 in the back.

Ettore

by Ettore

cvoicu wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:19 pm
I have Canyon Aeroad Disc, size M. I put 28mm Conti GP 4000S II in the back. There is less than 1mm clearance. It spins free on the stand, but I hear rubbing sounds when riding, especially when there is debris on the road or when out of the saddle. It’s driving me crazy. I will switch back to size 25 in the back.
I'd advise not to go under 4mm clearance. It's a pretty big safety hazard if you pick up a pebble, not to mention damage to your frame can be quite extensive.

dcorn

by dcorn

OliHall wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:51 pm

If anyone has run the 32mm Sectors for a long time, please can you post to let us know if the clearance is ok for long-term use, or is it too tight in the seat post cut out?
I've put at least 800 miles on the 32mm Sectors on my size small Aeroad Disc/stock Reynolds wheels combo. I weigh about 205 and run them at 80psi using Orange Seal. Done a few races, ridden on gravel roads, railed a lot of corners, haven't had a single problem. No air burps, they lose maybe 10psi a week using stock Reynolds tape and valves. Super easy to get the tires on the rims, but I think I inflated with a compressor because I got tired of wasting CO2 cartridges on tubless.

I haven't taken the wheel off and looked at the seatpost recently, but I haven't heard any scraping anywhere. There are pictures earlier in this thread that show the fitment. I think the clearance is fine, honestly.

wintershade

by wintershade

On a related note, does anyone know if you'd be able to comfortably ride a 25 GP4000 on 21mm-internal HED Jet Black wheels?

MSPD

by MSPD

Attached you find pictures of, maybe it is interesting for someone:
Front: Grand Prix 4000II 28 on DT Swiss ER 1600 SPLINE db 32 2018. Inner width is 20mm, tyre width is 31mm.
Rear: Grand Prix 4-Season 28 on DT Swiss ER 1600 SPLINE db 32 2018. Inner width is 20mm, tyre width is 28,5mm.

Do you think this is ridable or should i go for smaller tyres?
Attachments
20180915_140511.jpg
20180915_140516.jpg
20180915_141540.jpg

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

dude thats wayy to tight in the front. back is not as bad. youre gonna scrape all your paint off the fork

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com