Alternative to CeramicSpeed?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dbnm

by dbnm

I have the Kogel "not for instagram" bearings and they really do spin for a very very long time.
https://www.kogel.cc/collections/cerami ... am-pulleys

No issues whatsoever.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

bilwit wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:01 pm
That doesn't make sense. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. In my case my stock jockey wheels took a beating from this winter so I just dropped the equivalent of a couple burritos and a beer for some extra bike bling. Sue me.

:noidea:

By that logic, every cycling enthusiast who ever spends money on the sport is "being ripped off" for anything they purchase for any and all reasons that item strikes their fancy because they don't need it and it won't make them push 400 watts up alpine mountains anyway.

Ceramic speed jockey wheels cost like 50 burritos so I would agree that it's a 'rip off'. And by rip off I would mean a very poor value for the money. They are clear on their page though that it saves about 1 watt. If that is worth $300 to someone then they should buy them.

I do think wheel and BB visual spin tests are false marketing. They make it look 100 times better in the video when maybe it again saves 1 watt.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

SLF Motion
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

You're better off spending the money on a more aero helmet, shoe covers, or bar.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

mattr

by mattr

Unless you already have an aero helmet, shoe covers and a bar.

And need replacement jockey wheels. (or any bearings for that matter)

But ceramic speed is a joke, a victory of marketing over physics and common sense.
Pricing to what the market will stand has *really* been taken to the nth degree here.

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

bilwit wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:01 pm
Jenmoss wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:54 pm
Does anyone actually think about the cost of some of these jockey wheels . It’s a complete joke .
You are paying much money for something that would cost not much at all, and what about the real world riding effect these are going to give you . If your some high level TT rider maybe you may get some benefit on a perfect course but imo this is a typical example of cyclists getting ripped off and being stupid enough to think these expensive jockey wheels are going to make them better riders and go quicker..
That doesn't make sense. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. In my case my stock jockey wheels took a beating from this winter so I just dropped the equivalent of a couple burritos and a beer for some extra bike bling. Sue me.

:noidea:

By that logic, every cycling enthusiast who ever spends money on the sport is "being ripped off" for anything they purchase for any and all reasons that item strikes their fancy because they don't need it and it won't make them push 400 watts up alpine mountains anyway.

I agree , if you or any poster wants to spend huge amounts of money then that is certainly your choice.
If your happy to by the “ Bling “then go ahead. I can tell you that the mark up on bikes and components is quite high , so yes you are getting ripped off and so are thousands if not millions who fall for the nonsenses these company’s come out with. Suckers walk and ride bikes.

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

853guy wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:58 pm
TonyM wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:04 pm
Hi,

I am looking for some alternatives to CeramicSpeed for some ceramic pulley-derailleur/ jockey wheels.

Which brand would you recommend?

Tony
Hi Tony,

No experience, I'm afraid, but I've shortlisted the Kogel Bearings here: https://www.kogel.cc/collections/cerami ... ur-pulleys

Best,

853guy
We recommend Kogel all the time and results are great. Price is good and they make a wide variety of good stuff
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

AJS914

by AJS914

I wonder how $25 Tacx ceramic bearing pulley wheels compare to $200 Kogel or $300 Ceramic Speed?

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-dera ... 69276.html

TonyM

by TonyM

Here some results from Friction facts published by CeramicSpeed on their derailleur pulleys and others brands (with names and values):

http://www.ceramicspeed.com/media/30628 ... -Small.pdf
Attachments
Friction Facts test.jpg

853guy

by 853guy

Personally, most of my life has been involved in pursuits of diminishing returns.

That is, for a small, incremental increase in performance/enjoyment, there is a large, asymmetrical increase in expenditure (time, energy, money).

Justification of that expenditure, then, will inevitably reach a saturation point in which each individual will consider a further gain not to be worth the investment of capital, and settle for a degree of lesser performance, or seek to realise value elsewhere for a similar or lesser cost.

From my perspective, chastising someone else for not sharing your chosen point of cost/benefit-related saturation - whether because they are under it or over it - seems somewhat hypocritical, given most of our first-world lives are filled with instances of expenditure that defy any sort of rational/symmetrical justification.

Latte, anyone?

Best,

853guy
Last edited by 853guy on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AJS914

by AJS914

Thanks for the link TonyM. So the Tacx pulleys for $30 look pretty darn good.

853guy

by 853guy

cwdzoot wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:05 pm
853guy wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi Tony,

No experience, I'm afraid, but I've shortlisted the Kogel Bearings here: https://www.kogel.cc/collections/cerami ... ur-pulleys

Best,

853guy
We recommend Kogel all the time and results are great. Price is good and they make a wide variety of good stuff
Cool, have also shortlisted their bottom bracket, too.

Best,

853guy

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Hawk Racing.

TonyM

by TonyM

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:41 pm
Thanks for the link TonyM. So the Tacx pulleys for $30 look pretty darn good.

I have the Tacx ceramic pulleys on a different bike as the original pulleys were worn out after so many years of usage. They don't "feel" as smooth as the CeramicSpeed pulleys. But Friction Facts shows that they perform well !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

kode54 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:30 pm
have you tried these oversized pulleys?
No i have not. I'm not sure i would either.
Not sure i believe i would notice any benefit or change.
Only thing i have tried is ceramic bearings for BB.

Oh, last two season i've only used my gravel bike to.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.