Alternative to CeramicSpeed?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi,

I am looking for some alternatives to CeramicSpeed for some ceramic pulley-derailleur/ jockey wheels.

Which brand would you recommend?

Tony

853guy

by 853guy

TonyM wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:04 pm
Hi,

I am looking for some alternatives to CeramicSpeed for some ceramic pulley-derailleur/ jockey wheels.

Which brand would you recommend?

Tony
Hi Tony,

No experience, I'm afraid, but I've shortlisted the Kogel Bearings here: https://www.kogel.cc/collections/cerami ... ur-pulleys

Best,

853guy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

AFAIK ceramic speed sort of looked some other guys over the shoulder. Before they introduced their products, Berner Cage was the go to product, to reduce friction in the driveline area. Try to look them up. But I think they are more expensive.

The thing with ceramic speed pulleys to consider is, they are bigger, and they have carved out some material. How this affects aerodynamics is not mentioned anywhere. But when we are looking for marginal gains, this needs to be taken into account as well.

TonyM

by TonyM

@853/ Multebear: Thanks!

I am actually looking for „regular“ size pulley derailleur/ jockey wheels.

pritchet74

by pritchet74

Hawk Racing bottom brackets and derailleur pulleys all scored nearly as good as CeramicSpeed in the old Friction Facts tests. I have had those on all of my bikes for the last few years - they still spin like new.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

stormur

by stormur

C-bear.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

I have Kogel bearings and BB on my bikes, and have no problems whatsoever.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

C-bear have pretty good prices in Europe.

Stueys

by Stueys

stormur wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:05 pm
C-bear.
This, very good

kode54

by kode54

have you tried these oversized pulleys?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

J&L makes some oversized jockey wheels as a set using the same cage as the stock Shimano 9100 or 9150. cheap enough to them out. 12 upper and 14 lower.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

bilwit

by bilwit

Got these for my bikes recently, pretty inexpensive. They're 0.8g heavier than the standard DA9k ones they replaced though.

https://www.jrc-components.com/collecti ... key-wheels

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Does anyone actually think about the cost of some of these jockey wheels . It’s a complete joke .
You are paying much money for something that would cost not much at all, and what about the real world riding effect these are going to give you . If your some high level TT rider maybe you may get some benefit on a perfect course but imo this is a typical example of cyclists getting ripped off and being stupid enough to think these expensive jockey wheels are going to make them better riders and go quicker..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

Jenmoss wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:54 pm
Does anyone actually think about the cost of some of these jockey wheels . It’s a complete joke .
You are paying much money for something that would cost not much at all, and what about the real world riding effect these are going to give you . If your some high level TT rider maybe you may get some benefit on a perfect course but imo this is a typical example of cyclists getting ripped off and being stupid enough to think these expensive jockey wheels are going to make them better riders and go quicker..
That doesn't make sense. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. In my case my stock jockey wheels took a beating from this winter so I just dropped the equivalent of a couple burritos and a beer for some extra bike bling. Sue me.

:noidea:

By that logic, every cycling enthusiast who ever spends money on the sport is "being ripped off" for anything they purchase for any and all reasons that item strikes their fancy because they don't need it and it won't make them push 400 watts up alpine mountains anyway.