The best height of spacers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wookski

by Wookski

Slammed is always best. I detest the fact that I have to run 10mm of spacers underneath (switch to Extralite headset dramatically reduced stack height). I need to stop being a little bitch and just slam it!

TonyM

by TonyM

Wookski wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:45 am
Slammed is always best. I detest the fact that I have to run 10mm of spacers underneath (switch to Extralite headset dramatically reduced stack height). I need to stop being a little bitch and just slam it!
Slam it! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

Who cares if one’s aging back can not handle a 10+ cm saddle-handlebar drop. You must slam that stem. It is more important to have a photogenic and esthetically pleasing bicycle than to be comfortable riding it, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

TonyM

by TonyM

Not sure if you mean it seriously or not :mrgreen:

BUT a race road bike with lots of spacers is actually an endurance bike more or less.
And the one who cannot bike on a slammed bike may look at an endurance bike.

Or take the Trek H2 and a slammed stem :)

avispa

by avispa

Jenmoss wrote: I personally slam my stem on both my bikes. I don't even use a dust cover . I don't think slamming is for everyone even Armstrong used spacers.
Yeah right... “personally” is the key word here!

I think a good example for this is what you see at team sky. Pinarello makes a lot of bike sizes, yet you see many riders in this team using different spacers and/or headset caps of different sizes.

So, finding the right size frame then using the right stem size and spacer(s) is the best way to determine this and you’ll see that depending on the brand of bike you chose you may end up with more or less spacers.

Wookski

by Wookski

fogman wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:12 am
Who cares if one’s aging back can not handle a 10+ cm saddle-handlebar drop. You must slam that stem. It is more important to have a photogenic and esthetically pleasing bicycle than to be comfortable riding it, correct?

Yes! Just do it, your back will ultimately comply and instagram likes will go through the roof!

Wookski

by Wookski

avispa wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:32 am
Jenmoss wrote: I personally slam my stem on both my bikes. I don't even use a dust cover . I don't think slamming is for everyone even Armstrong used spacers.
Yeah right... “personally” is the key word here!

I think a good example for this is what you see at team sky. Pinarello makes a lot of bike sizes, yet you see many riders in this team using different spacers and/or headset caps of different sizes.

So, finding the right size frame then using the right stem size and spacer(s) is the best way to determine this and you’ll see that depending on the brand of bike you chose you may end up with more or less spacers.
^ this guy doesn’t get it

fogman

by fogman

The main reason to slam your stem is to prevent people on the internet from criticizing photographs of your bicycle.

It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

TonyM

by TonyM

fogman wrote:The main reason to slam your stem is to prevent people on the internet from criticizing photographs of your bicycle.

That’s a good one indeed!!

jlok

by jlok

Nice work.

Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

that is a garish bike with garish graphics and colors on a frame that looks like 2000s WSD

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Slam it!

Wookski

by Wookski

4ibanez wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:13 am
Slam it!
Yes! although points deducted for the flaccid stem

jever98

by jever98

TonyM wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:40 am
fogman wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:35 am
What about someone who has too large of a frame and is able to slam the stem, but is left with a short nubby seat post and like a 90 mm stem to make it fit?

I say it is okay to have 15-20 mm of spacers under the stem as long as the rest of the bicycle is in proportion and you are using at least a 110-120 mm stem. Also, you may compromise the handling of the bicycle if using a stem length of 100 mm or less with certain models.

RIGHT! Totaly agree

The best (in terms of aesthetics): a slammed stem AND a long stem.

Nothing is more ugly than a short stem or a stem with some spacers or both! :twisted:
If you need spacers and a short stem, then the frame is just not for you. Frames are so different these days, as a morphologies and flexibility / strength. I have a reasonably sporty position (13cm drop, 86cm saddle height), but with long legs, short torso I need to ride endurance geometries to fit - could never fit a Canyon Aeroad reasonably, for example -- too much reach, too little stack for my build.

In terms of physics: the more spacers, the more unstable things will become, as you have a bigger and bigger lever arm relative to the top of the frame, making it easier to deflect the frame. Personally, I find anything more than an 18mm top cap + 20mm spacers unreasonable. If you need more, get a bigger / different frame.
----
No longer in the industry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com