Colnago C64 First Look

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

The caption on Insta says those are backstage shots from a bike launch, so it certainly makes no sense for the bike Aru is on to be a C60; and I think it does look like it says ‘C64’.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

#fakenews

The rumored changes are either incredibly subtle or Aru is riding the C60 here - doing a before/after thing.

torinb

by torinb

Yes. And this is how mine looks. Sorry about the size...

ergott

by ergott

click bait

Imaking20

by Imaking20

If that's the C64 - they might as well have called it the C60s

torinb

by torinb

The instagram post says: "@fabioaru1 backstage video upcoming Bike launch". Very strange if that is a C60

TonyM

by TonyM

If this is the C64 then it will be interesting to know what is really significantly different than the C60.......

torinb

by torinb

Pinarello F10 and F8 also look quite similar. And there is less room to make radical visible changes on a lugged frame like The C60

Imaking20

by Imaking20

The most radical change that was rumored was the absence of some lugs. Which does not present itself in these photos. Nor does anything else really - aside from arguably a new DT decal and they may have lightened the tubes a little (which was also rumored).

As it stands, the argument in favor of a C60 over C59 really just comes down to paint preference. It would be a shame if the C64 follows the same path (and misses like the V2r did)

AJS914

by AJS914

TonyM wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:35 pm
If this is the C64 then it will be interesting to know what is really significantly different than the C60.......
Nothing will be significantly different. They change the name every so often so those who want the latest and greatest go out and buy another one. I never understood the guys that "upgraded" from the C59 to the C60 but there will be those that upgrade from the C60 to C64 just because it's the latest and greatest.

The C64 will probably take wider tires so that will appeal to some people.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:53 pm
TonyM wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:35 pm
Nothing will be significantly different. They change the name every so often so those who want the latest and greatest go out and buy another one. I never understood the guys that "upgraded" from the C59 to the C60 but there will be those that upgrade from the C60 to C64 just because it's the latest and greatest.

The C64 will probably take wider tires so that will appeal to some people.
i'm too cheap right now, i'm on 23 mm tires. works fine 99% of the time, but having rode the pyrenees and the alps there are some roads larger tires have benefit on. and of course the local bike shop will always tell those who want to hear it the new bike will ride faster
Last edited by fromtrektocolnago on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

AJS914

by AJS914

My C59 takes 25mm tires (tires that actually measure 25mm).

torinb

by torinb

My C60 takes most of the 25 mm tires i have tried. The only tyre it didnt take was Dugast Strada on Easton EC90 wheels. The combos that works for 25mm is:
  • Veloflex Arenberg tubular on Campagnolo Bora
  • Veloflex Arenberg tubular on Fulcrum racing Zero tubular rims
  • Conti Competition tubular on Boras
  • Vittoria Corsa CX tubular on Boras
  • Veloflex Arenberg on Easton EC90
  • Continental 4-season clincher on Fulcrum 7
  • Continental GP4000 on Fulcrum 7
  • Continental GP4000 on Campagnolo Zonda C17
  • Veloflex Corsa on DT swiss PR 1400 Oxic
The best tyres of these in my opinion is Veloflex Arenberg for Tubular and Veloflex Corsa for Clincher. The Veloflex clincher feels like a tubular, and feels way better than Conti GP4000. But thats another discussion :wink:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, tubulars in the 25mm size are not a problem at all for the C60, regardless of rim. It's when you delve into clincher territory that the confusion starts happening as to what will fit and what won't, but most 25's that I'm aware of even in clincher form are fine on the C60, but be more careful if you're mounting them to a really wide rim, since it's both dependent on tire choice and rim width together. Veloflex 25mm tubulars on the newer Boras are fine on the C59 as well, whereas on the older 20.5mm external width Boras, they get pushed up a little bit too much and will rub the underside of the C59 fork, at least prior to the last run of the C59 when they used the first gen C60 fork instead. In contrast, a 25mm Conti 4000S on a Shamal Ultra (17mm internal width) clincher rim for example... is too tight on the C59 rear end, regardless of whether it was the last run or not.

It seems that @muti has the most credible information, and makes the most sense to me...
muti wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:28 pm
Yes, something is coming out of Cambiago on 9th of February!
The good :
-Change in the seatube lug
-Change in the tubing (minor as I understand )
-Direct mount brakes only (and disc of course )
The bad:
Traditional geometry is ditched .That's an end of an era for us Colnago devotees I guess. Anyway, looking forward to it!
I doubt they'll do away with the lugs for now, rather just change the seatcluster lug as @muti says in his post. Doing away with the lugs altogether probably won't happen till all production shifts to Asia. And the minor change in the seattube lug will likely be a simple modification to accommodate the new seatpost clamping method. And I wouldn't be suprised if the only differnce in the tubing is simply a reforming of the tail end of the top tube and/or seattube so that it/they conforms to the new seatcluster lug, much like they did to the EPQ, where they reshaped the EPS top tube (roundish) at the rear to fit into the C59 lug (squarish). And direct mount brakes I guess, which I'm not fussed about at all.

As for the V2R, I would argue that simply moving the brakes from under/behind the BB up to the more normal placement is a huge improvement, as the brake placement on the V1R would have been a deal killer for me by itself.

I guess if I ever get another Colnago, it will be the 56 sloping. Gotta say, I'm not too unhappy about that after seeing @Beeatnik's photos of his PR99 56s C59 that he posts up every now and then. At least I think his is a 56s... not much of a slope at all. It all depends how you build it up I think.

Oh well... I guess we'll find out soon enough, just when I'm trying to put my foot down and saying NO MORE BIKES, CALVIN! D'oh!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com