Colnago C64 First Look

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mag

by mag

Yeah I'm with fromtrektocolnago, that doesn't make any sense at all. The presentation was made public on January 4th while those photos appeared a week later.
Bringing C60 more towards the C59 in ride characteristics would be really nice, I'm just being put off by those v2-r seatpost rumors. Regular (round) 27,2 would be better in my opinion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cervelolite

by Cervelolite

Similar to 4 years ago when i bought my C59, the minute this new c64 (or whatever it will be called) was announced I called my local bike shop and pulled the trigger on a C60 (with a significant discount). My view is that Colnago are in dangerous territory. I'd speculate most enthusiasts buy Colnago not for aero or lightness but for their character, paintwork and supreme ride characteristics. It feels like Colnago are at risk of the biggest mistake in business, forgetting your target market. The cessation of the real art decor paintwork (ie. AD10, AD11) on the C60 was heart breaking. Some of the colours they have now are just awful!

Colnago always made a point of over building frames to exceed safety test by multiple factors. Are they now saying that's not a priority over lightness? Direct mount brakes....who cares. Same with integrated seatpost clamp. My shout buy a C60 now, they're on special, plenty of colours, nothing proprietary, and time tested.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i think its about not fully tapping tecnhnology. The c-60 was the first cad designed c-line. David Fumagalli brought that. Now supposedly they are getting some technical help from Giant. 800 grams just gets Colnago to the high end of where today's bikes are weighing in. They're just trying to give a motivation for people to upgrade. my c-59 is roughly the same weight as the c-50 that preceded it and the c-60 stayed in that range. i'll wait for what comes out to see if they succeeded in dropping the weight and not messing with the secret sauce ride quality that made the top line famous. my feeling is the c-c60 deviated a little and hopefully they are dialing the ride back toward the sweet spot. They don't need to build the stiffest bike but that's what the audience was hearing, stiff stiff stiff, and it impacted colnago design thinking.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Cervelolite wrote: Colnago always made a point of over building frames to exceed safety test by multiple factors. Are they now saying that's not a priority over lightness? Direct mount brakes....who cares. Same with integrated seatpost clamp. My shout buy a C60 now, they're on special, plenty of colours, nothing proprietary, and time tested.
I'm pretty sure every bike by a brand name manufacturers exceeds EN safety tests, though that doesn't mean they can stand up to user abuse. Making it lighter doesn't mean it'll be less safe.

Don't care about DM brakes and the integrated seat clamp too, and taking your advice I'm just waiting for the price to be dropped Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cervelolite

by Cervelolite

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:39 am
i think its about not fully tapping tecnhnology. The c-60 was the first cad designed c-line. David Fumagalli brought that. Now supposedly they are getting some technical help from Giant. 800 grams just gets Colnago to the high end of where today's bikes are weighing in. They're just trying to give a motivation for people to upgrade. my c-59 is roughly the same weight as the c-50 that preceded it and the c-60 stayed in that range. i'll wait for what comes out to see if they succeeded in dropping the weight and not messing with the secret sauce ride quality that made the top line famous. my feeling is the c-c60 deviated a little and hopefully they are dialing the ride back toward the sweet spot. They don't need to build the stiffest bike but that's what the audience was hearing, stiff stiff stiff, and it impacted colnago design thinking.
Noted - but I have also a caad12 that i've done 200+km rides on with no discomfort. Wheels and tires make way more of a difference. Reality is that the consumer keeps demanding innovation even when it's not necessary. I just hope they stay true to what has given the brand so much heritage and intangible value over the years.

corky

by corky

Cervelolite wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:25 pm
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:39 am
Noted - but I have also a caad12 that i've done 200+km rides on with no discomfort. Wheels and tires make way more of a difference. Reality is that the consumer keeps demanding innovation even when it's not necessary. I just hope they stay true to what has given the brand so much heritage and intangible value over the years.
I don’t think it’s consumers that are demanding innovation....... when did you ever hear of bike mfgrs canvassing joe public about what they would like to see in a new product?....... companies mostly follow each other......look how many have followed Canyon down the integrated seat clamp road. It makes the bikes look newer, oh they’ll claim it’s more aero but.......

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

That’s the problem Colnago find themselves with, manufacturers have shortened the product cycle by marketing novelty as innovation and they’ve got to do the same if they want to keep up. There’s not much innovation to be had at the moment, the last real one was carbon fibre but that’s a mature technology now

vinc

by vinc

Anyway, I would have called the new model C60evo. Like they have done with the M10 and M10s.
C60 just sounds much much better than C64. It’s C40 - C50 - C60 - etc. for me that’s so phenomenal. C64 is just something in between...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Like the C59?

AJS914

by AJS914

They need to change things up every few years to boost sales. There are folks that upgrade every time a new model comes out. The "innovation" and change drive consumerism. Almost everybody who will run out and buy a C64 already has a nice bike. They just need some extra motivation to go out and buy the latest and greatest. It's great for those of us that don't mind buy used in mint condition.

vinc

by vinc

Zakalwe wrote:Like the C59?
Sort of. I even think the EPS was a better bike than that.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

I’d like to see the Extreme line brought back, would be a better place to try things like the Seatpost and keep the C more classic

vinc

by vinc

Zakalwe wrote:I’d like to see the Extreme line brought back, would be a better place to try things like the Seatpost and keep the C more classic
Exactly

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Zakalwe wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:11 pm
That’s the problem Colnago find themselves with, manufacturers have shortened the product cycle by marketing novelty as innovation and they’ve got to do the same if they want to keep up. There’s not much innovation to be had at the moment, the last real one was carbon fibre but that’s a mature technology now
Well, in my humble and poorly educated opinion, I think we hit a point of "nearly max innovation" about 4 years ago where anything else new is for the sake of new, not better. Part manufacturers have also encountered this, so it is not exclusive to frames. I think there is very little to improve that makes "significant difference". At the very least at the consumer end of things, but I suspect is the same at the PRO level.

:beerchug:

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Well we’ve got discs now, and once everyone’s racing on 28s with hydraulic discs and electronic gears the marketing departments can explain how mechanical is a more pure experience, rim brakes are lighter and more aero, and 21s are faster, so we can buy new frames all over again. Maybe after that our frames will be some super strong grown metal laminate and steel will be real again

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com