TIME XPresso 12 Pedal Modification (by EZO bearings)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mortirolo

by mortirolo

START (genuine TIME XPresso 12)

Japanese EZO is world leader of precision miniature bearings, so
EZO MR128-2RS ZZ 8x12x3.5mm (Metric)
http://catalog.ezo-usa.com/item/metric- ... gs/mr128zz

:smartass:
Don't buy steel and/or ceramic, ebay trash!
Bearing = NTN, NSK, SKF, FAG, EZO, WIB...
If You need, I can send EZO bearings for 4USD/piece + 6USD shipping cost worldwide.

small help for opening (threadless point):
arrow direction is closing, opposite direction is opening

NTN 6801-2RS 12x21x5mm
This is an NTN, so don't need replacement.

spoke + plastic bushing:

Lenght:

Diameter:

Don't need any device, only your fingers.

1. Gluing (2 threadless point too)
2. Close "adjusting ring" completely and then (IMPORTANT!) turn back to opposite direction (about 45-90... degree).
Try to find where is the sweet spot, where the pedal run freely.

+4g (6x1-2x1)
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

There's already a long thread about doing this upgrade, perhaps this should be joined to it. The last pair of Xpressos I bought about a year ago had bearings rather than the bushings, so hopefully Time will continue this with the Xpro pedals.

Attermann

by Attermann

What do you use to remove the adjuster?

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Attermann wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:52 pm
I use wide jaw plumbing pliers, you don't need to use much pressure.

mortirolo

by mortirolo

Attermann wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:52 pm
Devices: + textile, fabric or old inner tube...
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Would this work on Xpresso 15 as well (even though these have bushings)?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

hannawald

by hannawald

Does xpresso 15 have same construction (bushings/bearings) and same problems with play, or it is entirely equiped with ceramic bearings (no bushings)? i haven't found any picture/video with xpresso 15 internals..

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

hannawald wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:09 pm
Does xpresso 15 have same construction (bushings/bearings) and same problems with play, or it is entirely equiped with ceramic bearings (no bushings)? i haven't found any picture/video with xpresso 15 internals..
I don't know whether Xpresso 15 pedals have bushings, however if you get play relatively soon after getting them it would suggest they do have. It's a quick job to unscrew the bearing cover and look inside to check.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

mrlobber wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:07 pm
Would this work on Xpresso 15 as well (even though these have bushings)?
This procedure is designed to replace the bushings (it was first suggested by a French man on a blog some years ago), however I know for a fact that on some later Xpresso pedals Time replaced the bushings with bearings.

hannawald

by hannawald

Hawkwood wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:52 am
hannawald wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:09 pm
I don't know whether Xpresso 15 pedals have bushings, however if you get play relatively soon after getting them it would suggest they do have. It's a quick job to unscrew the bearing cover and look inside to check.
I don't have them, but i am thinking of buying them. If they are only bearings (ceramic), it may be the crucial factor over Xpresso 12. It is a 2016 model I am looking at.

mag

by mag

Yeah there's already a thread for them and the bushing replacement was extensively discussed there: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111827

I've got Mavic Zxellium Ultimate ones (rebranded Xpresso 15) and they've got those nylon bushings as well.

Unfortunately at least the Mavic branded ones seem to have those bushings very firmly pressed in (the bushings actually seem to be secured behind some protrusions on the inside of the pedal bodies) so the possibility of their replacement is very slim. I don't know whether this is Mavic specific thing or even some Time branded ones have that though.

Currently the Xpresso 15s can be bought for much better prices as they're probably being phased out in favor of the new Xpros, so I'm considering buying some more as the new Xpro 15s aren't so WW any longer (142g vs 174.6g). :-D

hannawald

by hannawald

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of current Xpresso 15 vs new Xpro 12 (about the same street price). Xpresso 15 is a lot lighter, Xpro could be stiffer (pedal itself and the titanium spindle is not hollow)..I am just thinking whether the stiffness is something to consider..nobody made watt test, i have just doubts that there must be some reason why so many pros ride heavy dura ace pedals (i guess durability is not that important for them)

leej88

by leej88

Xpresso 15 are using bushings as well.

Mine sort of seized and I opened them up to clean them out.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

hannawald wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:43 am
Thanks for the info. I am thinking of current Xpresso 15 vs new Xpro 12 (about the same street price). Xpresso 15 is a lot lighter, Xpro could be stiffer (pedal itself and the titanium spindle is not hollow)..I am just thinking whether the stiffness is something to consider..nobody made watt test, i have just doubts that there must be some reason why so many pros ride heavy dura ace pedals (i guess durability is not that important for them)
It was the Xpresso model 6 pedals I got last year with the bearings rather than the bushings. Time used to be a big player in sponsoring teams, for example Indurain used their pedals, but not any longer. I'd love Time to make a heavier long wearing pedal like the Dura Ace ones. I use Time because the float seems to work well for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chans1ee

by Chans1ee

Hi there.
Now im using shimano pedal.
In south korea, Almost rider using shimano pedals.
Does time pedal has any advantage except lightweight?